Thread: Finding the Diaper That Fits You!

Post Finding the Diaper That Fits You!

Diapers, Padding, Pillow Underwear...

Whatever you call it we always know that there is one kind out there that we can always trust on doing the job be it comfort, holding in urine or even to use it as the replacement for the bathroom but as always not each person holds the same one as the best for them. Generally after some time we usually already know one diaper that fits the description above but with a growing community we get newcomers who yet to figure out their perfect diaper or at least the diaper that works on them perfectly.

Depending on where you come from in the *BDL community you tend to have different views on what the perfect diaper would be. The *B community would tend to try to find a diaper that not only works like a diaper should but one that keeps and has that infantile look to it whereas the DL community generally keeps fit, comfort and absorbency as bigger factors in the search of a diaper that suits there needs. For the most part the DL community has better luck on finding this perfect diaper because a lot of visual factors dont play in but it does leave a problem for the *B community but either way both face the factor of "Does it Fit?"

Reality Check:

Now for the most part this section focuses more on the *B community side of the search where the infantile look is a big must on the diaper itself and this leads to many newcomers being convinced that diapers meant for children Age 0-4 will perfectly fit on them. In reality unless you are really tiny and have the waist size that would make Gap Kid clothes seem large then you're not wearing these diapers perfectly. Generally if your first criteria for a perfect diaper is the look then remember that Pampers, Huggies, Luvs and any of the diaper brands meant for kids who are not or are potty training will probably not fit you perfectly.

So you ask "What do I do if I want a baby-ish look?" then you can start here. First off if you're really still small than the average person and share the clothing measurements of a small-medium teen chances are you can fit youth sized diapers such as Goodnites and Underjams. The only downside to this is theyre pull-up styled and not tape and really only meant for liquid waste and no more. At this point you look and ask A) "Am I the size of a small-medium youth?", B) "Do I really really want a Tape Style Diaper?" and C) "Am I gonna just use it to wear, use it just to wet or want to use it for all bathroom purposes?" This will determine if you move on from here.

If in the end you figure out that you're A) Bigger than a small-medium youth, B) Want Tape Diapers and C) Want to use it for full Bathroom purposes then we get to this point. Generally after youth diapers the infantile looking diaper search becomes a little more difficult and a lot more expensive. Larger adults or teens who love this look tend to have it harder due to the very small market of actual products designed for them to look infantile leaving a few known brands to their knowledge and at a cost. Diapers with the babyish look for adults always come from Bambino, Cuddlz, ABU and any creator of custom cloth diapers. These tend to dig into your wallet due to the price per diaper mostly due to the fact that they cater only to a specific crowd that tend to be a small few. In the end if you can't afford these are order online best bet is to make diaper tapes and decorate it yourself.

Absorbency/Leak Guards:

Now when it comes to using the diaper itself one thing you want to consider the fact that even if you like how it looks will it actually hold if you're planning to use it? First thing is first does the diaper have enough SAP(Super-Absorbent Polymer) to hold up to your output into it. Generally the ideal form of checking is going but it should also be noted that flooding the diaper would make it absorb a lower amount due to the SAP absorbing too much at once and not allowing it be distributed to all of the SAP.

After checking if the SAP can hold the most important comes into play, do the leak guards actually hold back any possible leaks? Now you may ask "What is a Leak Guard?" A leak guard tends to be the small frill design you see in the diaper around the area that hugs your legs. They are designed for what the name implies, to guard against leaks. For the most part a good leak guard would require to be pulled back to allow access to the diaper inside when being worn. If its too loose then you can be certain that the diaper will leak if overused or flooded. Some diapers dont come with leak guards so keep in mind that some will not take in much.

If you want to ask about hold aka if it can take fecal matter then factor in room in the back side of the diaper plus does it have some kind of odor control.

The most important yet simplest and probably the smallest part, make sure the diaper can actually fit on you. Generally if you're looking at a waist size(US Measurements) of 32" then you're definitely going to have to look at the adult diaper brands for the one that fits you. Don't lie to yourself and believe that a diaper will fit you just because you love how it looks. Look for one that lets you breath and covers you nicely like a pair of underwear meant for your age would.

The way it hugs your legs fits into this as well. Make sure the diaper not only hugs your waist but also hugs your legs as this can determine if the diaper will actually keep up with you movement wise and toilet wise.

Hopefully after factoring in all of this you will have found your perfect diaper or at least one that does the job. Its always great to experiment with new ones every once in a while but try to make sure they at least have the potential of fitting because seriously you know there is something wrong when a diaper fits like a thong or is baggy like sweat pants.

Also if you hit the SAP/Leak Guard factor and find no diaper in reality can hold what you throw at it then its time to consider using stuffers, double diaper or buying boosters/pads to increase the absorbency.

<Im always looking to make helpful threads for any newcomers and commoners alike so if you feel like I need to add more to make these a tad more helpful please feel free to tell me. Criticism is welcomed.>
    Last edited by Noodle; 13-Mar-2013 at 10:10.

I think this topic has article potential, but I also think it's possible to be much more prescriptive and to lay out a process for fitting different kinds of diapers.

In the case of adult disposables, for instance, one ought to measure one's waist, rise, legs, and compare these things to what information is available (often not much!) for the diapers they're considering. Where only waist measurements for the diapers are provided, it's advisable to sample multiple sizes before cutting loose with any serious money. An example from my own experience would be my Cushies order. My waist size was within the range for Medium, however the rise of that diaper was not sufficient to clear my man-curves, so the fit was poor. (There's a big difference between a diaper hugging one's waist and riding properly on one's hips!)

In the case of non-adult diapers, which generally are not described in terms of waist measurements and such, successive approximations are the only way to go. And, because none of us are actual babies, toddlers, or (lately) non-adults in general, the only sensible place to start is with the largest size you can find! If the tightness doesn't bother you and you still feel adventurous, then go forth and try smaller sizes. And while we're on the subject of small diapers, it's probably worth mentioning that people who are disposed to trying these aren't necessarily looking for babyish, but may in fact be looking for baby diapers specifically, in which case the fit is totally irrelevant. In my own case, I like Pampers because... they're Pampers!

Cloth diapers are a jungle. Fitted kinds are subject to the same sorts of rules as adult disposables above, but fortunately the manufacturers tend to be a bit better about providing rise and leg measurements. It's even more important to measure yourself properly and consider all of the manufacturer-provided sizing information because cloth diapers are expensive, and taking a trial-and-error approach is a good way to bankrupt yourself. Fotunately, it's often possible to order singles. Prefolds and other more traditional kinds of cloth diapers can be oversized and folded down, and this is sometimes desirable as a way of increasing capacity (more cloth = more absorbency).

Anyway, this is sort of the direction I'd propose, and it would be easy to be even more fine-grained. Or it could be a flowchart. Explanations of how to properly measure oneself wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 13-Mar-2013 at 17:46. Reason: typo