Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Default Scotland

During my last visit to Scotland I discovered that people on benefits can use a special card to get any over the counter medical supplies free of charge on the NHS.

Just wondering if any Scottish Adisc people on benefits have tried this to get free padding, and if it works?

If not is there a Scottish Adisc person mad enough to try it and let us know how they get on?

Might be worth the journey for those on the boarder before they get their in depend ance!

haha thats brilliant, ive just been made redundant and will soon be receiving benefits, unfortunately i live in England so the rules might be different. it certainly would take a lot of nerve to try that though lol

Yea, in England even the GP's cant perscribe padding, they have to refer you to the local continence service, who ask lots of awkward questions and have a good poke about before you get anything.

Still I know of people who've managed to get it sorted in England via that route.

Also, there was a UK article about this condition

Body Integrity Identity Disorder

Body Identity Integrity Disorder Makes Patients Want to Be Disabled - ABC News

If its an actual condition it might well be that some of us have an obscure variation of that condition, and therefore qualify for free padding that way. Abeit with blushes

Like society put us into padding in the first place before we were old enough to talk, let alone have a say in it, so if it affected us as it has, I guess its reasonable for society to pick up the tabs for our paddings No Phun intended, but it could be pretty phunny if we get lots of free padding.

Why don't you just buy them from Amazon or Ebay?
    I'm in Scotland.

I'm from Scotland.

Can I ask when your last visit to Scotland was? Because for the past few years we haven't paid for prescriptions. But when we did there was a special form you filled in if you had a long-term or terminal illness which gave you free prescriptions (such as insulin for diabetes).

Now though, if you were prescribed protection (unlikely to be diapers) you'd just get them for free like any other prescription.

For England: When I first went to the doctor with my IC problem I was referred to the local continence service and the urologist for tests, and they don't allow you to have free padding until 6 months after diagnosis (this varies from county to county - in some places its 3 or 4 months). However, a GP prescription is NOT required; you can get the free padding on recommendation from the continence service who will order the pads on your behalf. They will be delivered to your local clinic for collection once a month (or to your home but only if you are housebound). A GP's prescription is required for catheters but again it's the continence service who will tell your GP that you need them, and how many.

Talula: I was last in Scotland about a year and a half ago, had to visit a GP whilst I was up there, and was advised that not only perscriptions, but also over the counter things like paracetamol or cough remedies are also covered by the NHS provided you show proof of JSA or similar benefits.

Technically padding is an over the counter medical thing, so was just wondering if people could use that mechanism to obtain it.

And I usually do buy my padding privately, but I've decided that I'd rather spend the money on other things if I can make the government pay for it instead.

Anyway I'm off to start another thread to discuss Body Integrity Identity Disorder

The health service in this country is already strained and using it's limited finances to get diapers for free, even if it is legal to do so, just seems immoral. That money could go towards providing essential care to someone, or for hospital supplies, or even into research into curing diseases. If you really do need them then that's fine and totally acceptable, otherwise this would just be abhorrent to me.

For England: When I first went to the doctor with my IC problem I was referred to the local continence service and the urologist for tests, and they don't allow you to have free padding until 6 months after diagnosis (this varies from county to county - in some places its 3 or 4 months). However, a GP prescription is NOT required; you can get the free padding on recommendation from the continence service who will order the pads on your behalf. They will be delivered to your local clinic for collection once a month (or to your home but only if you are housebound). A GP's prescription is required for catheters but again it's the continence service who will tell your GP that you need them, and how many.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddloon View Post
    Talula: And I usually do buy my padding privately, but I've decided that I'd rather spend the money on other things if I can make the government pay for it instead.
    And it's people like you that are causing this countries economy to collapse. Honestly I think people who scrounge of the state are filthy people. (And to clarify, I don't have a problem with people on benefits or disability allowance or anything like that - my specific problem is scrounging) You ought to be ashamed of yourself!