Thread: diaper size

Default diaper size

Has anyone tried using a size bigger diaper to help absorbency at night? Any success with it or did it just leak more because of the fit?

Quote Originally Posted by clubssc View Post
    Has anyone tried using a size bigger diaper to help absorbency at night? Any success with it or did it just leak more because of the fit?
    I would say its not a good idea.

I have indeed tried this once to lengthen my gameplay and it ended horribly and with a wash. The bigger the diaper the more loose its gonna be especially if its not meant for people your size. I would recommend sticking to something that fits you and doesn't leak and if you truly need extra protection you should invest in boosters/pads, stuffers or double diaper to prevent leaks.

Also as long as its on the topic of Diaper size you should really not only look for the diaper with the perfect fit but try to find a diaper that can hold for yo as well. Instead of actually wasting money on stuffers, extra diapers or boosters try to find a diaper whose fit will provide excellent leak guards and a perfect amount of SAP to deal with your waste. This might mean a lot of trial and error but in the end it will be worth it. You'll end up with a dry bed and probably a dry feeling assuming you don't wet enough to soak a diaper to the brim.

Good Luck To You and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Awesome info! Thank you very much! It was just a thought I had since I saw that larger sizes had higher absorbency. I probably will just invest in doublers though because the best I have found thus far is the Abena M4 and lately I wake up with a soaked diaper and wet bed even after reducing fluid intake. I tried moving up to the dry 24/7 but they were so hot and uncomfortable I still woke up soaked only in sweat instead of pee hahaha. It's not a big bother to me to wake up wet like that since the bed is protected but the girlfriend is starting to get irritated since she is starting to end up wet too from me.

Awesome info! Thank you very much! It was just a thought I had since I saw that larger sizes had higher absorbency. I probably will just invest in doublers though because the best I have found thus far is the Abena M4 and lately I wake up with a soaked diaper and wet bed even after reducing fluid intake. I tried moving up to the dry 24/7 but they were so hot and uncomfortable I still woke up soaked only in sweat instead of pee hahaha. It's not a big bother to me to wake up wet like that since the bed is protected but the girlfriend is starting to get irritated since she is starting to end up wet too from me.
    Ah, also try and make the wall of text look neater :3

But yes bigger diapers do tend to be more absorbent to match the bladder of the people who wear that size of diaper but it does not mean that smaller people can wear them and expect to actually use it with success and a dry bed. As for adult diapers I would really have no clue since I wear mostly youth diapers like Goodnites but I have heard the 24/7s are rather absorbent and comfortable so the heat must be an issue in which you live or how you sleep(maybe a lot of blankets being used?).

Default Re: diaper size

You can try to include plastic pants to help with the leaking, but, it will be hotter as well. You should try using a thinner blanket and keep the house cooler for comfort if willing. You can also use bed pads that will help with keeping the mattress from getting smelly. You'll need the thicker diapers with all over plastic, because cloth backed doesn't have plastic in the wings and have a shorter catching distance.

Another route to try would be cloth diapers. They'll be absorbent all over and though would be warmer, you can adjust the a/c or buy a fan that moves the air around.

You don't want to reduce liquid intake since that would be a counter affect as the less water in your system, the less the diaper will absorb it. Your urine gets cloudy full of whatever your system wastes with it. This can be experimented by putting only water in a diaper and compare it to the one you've used. Abena boasts a 4000ml capacity that was tested with water, not pee.

I actually do have a very very nice reusable mattress pad but like I said sadly the other half is the one getting wet not the bed....which you could probably imagine she is not too fond of lol.

I did try plastic pants before but they were so hot I broke out in a horrible heat rash that literally burned my butt for 3 or 4 days so I really don't want to do that again. I do have a fan that I keep on myself but I am a naturally warm person (I live in a very cold state if that is any clue for you hahaha) which is why I use the Abena's because they are the only plastic backed diaper so far that I've used that doesn't cause me to sweat.

I have not looked much into cloth diapers before. Aren't they really high upkeep and such?

Once again thank you all for the awesome tips!

As mentioned, a larger disposable will just leak because of a poor fit. You could just go with a disposable doubler. However, if you are a heavy wetter at night, I would strongly suggest a cloth diaper with a cloth booster and a pair of waterproof pants. When you say you broke out in a rash from plastic pants, are you sure you are not allergic to vinyl?

Warsaw39

Size actually has little to do with absorbency. What I've found works best is to wear a diaper that is one size too small - for example, if you typically wear a S/M, wear a S instead. You get generally the same level of absorbency, but the tighter fit allows less leakage.

This may be a problem, though, if you are at the larger end of the size range - like if a S/M is 28"-42" and you have a 40" waist. Then you may just want to buy diapers of your own size and fasten them tighter than you normally would, wear two diapers, both, or anything else you think may work.

But no, using larger diapers is just generally a bad idea. The fit will be all wrong and it will leak everywhere. And even if there is a difference in absorbency, it will be miniscule and barely make a difference anyway. So there really are no benefits to wearing a diaper that is too big for you.

Generally the only difference between a medium and a large is longer plastic wings on the sides without any extra padding. Going between a small and a medium will have a slight increase in capacity.

As for increasing absorbancy, raw capacity is nothing compared to usable capacity. A diaper could have a ton of raw capacity, but if it doesn't wick, you'll find yourself only able to use about half of it before being forced to change. If it doesn't fit well, you'll have to change even sooner due to premature leaks. It all really depends on where you are in the sizes, how you tape the diaper, and in what circumstances you're using it. In my case (which is probably pretty unique), I'm right between small and medium, so picking the size based on the circumstances is actually useful.

For wearing during the day, a small abena can take about twice as much as a medium before I need to change it (the medium starts leaking before its anywhere near capacity). However, at night a medium works extremely well because I can run the bottom tapes down along the leg gathers to make a good seal, and it won't get pulled apart from walking. The extra material also tends to pool liquid in the middle of the padding, rather than channeling it down the leg gathers like a more snug fitting diaper tends to do.