Thread: Replacing thumbsucking with pacifier...

Default Replacing thumbsucking with pacifier...

Okay, here's a dirty little secret. I still suck my thumb. Not just for when I'm an AB, or regressing, or little. I mean I literally suck my thumb all the time in the same way that less certifiable people bite their nails or smoke their cigarettes. In my sleep, while playing games, while reading books, while watching TV. Pretty much all the time, except obviously never in public.

I want to stop, badly! I'm 32 years old! This is extremely embarrassing. I thought switching to a pacifier might help me transition to not needing my thumb. But so far I honestly have not been able to fall asleep without my thumb. Has anyone else got this bad habit (not by choice, but all the time)? Has anyone been able to stop it using a pacifier or by some other means?

I put this in AB, feel free to move it if I posted in the wrong place.

At this point you're functioning in most of your daily life without it, up the point where you can do everything except get to sleep without doing it. IMO you're doing more than fine for the short time you decided to switch to the paci. No sense denying yourself sleep by trying to force the issue so rapidly. You have the right idea with replacing 1 habit with another, that's the same thing they mention that's crucial to recovery in 12-step groups and counselors' offices. The tree can bear fruit, but it won't come any faster by squeezing the branches

I personally broke it in steps. First only allowing it during sleeping. Then slowly weaning at night in a cycle. I used a sock a night to prevent unconscious access or a glove. I've heard it's almost as bad as quitting smoking this late in life and I could agree. But I also went from sleeping with plushies at random to now I have to sleep with one as I wrap my arm around it.

I still suck mine and don't ever want to stop. I don't do it in public, but when I'm home I have no problem with doing it. I will suck my paci from time to time, but it just never feels as good as sucking my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by harry3220 View Post
    I personally broke it in steps. First only allowing it during sleeping. Then slowly weaning at night in a cycle. I used a sock a night to prevent unconscious access or a glove. I've heard it's almost as bad as quitting smoking this late in life and I could agree. But I also went from sleeping with plushies at random to now I have to sleep with one as I wrap my arm around it.
    I'm going to give this a shot. I'm so nervous about not being able to sleep. The last time I made sure I was fully exhausted before I tried to sleep and I literally lay there almost getting sick from being so tired and not sleeping. I had to give in and suck my thumb.

On the plus side I did actually quit smoking so maybe I have a chance to quit this, too!

I was a life long thumb sucker. It took me a while to switch. I would go to bed sucking my binky. When I finally could not handle that anymore I switched back to my thumb. I did this longer and longer each night till I was going to sleep with my binky. Now I hardly ever suck my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    I was a life long thumb sucker. It took me a while to switch. I would go to bed sucking my binky. When I finally could not handle that anymore I switched back to my thumb. I did this longer and longer each night till I was going to sleep with my binky. Now I hardly ever suck my thumb.
    Thanks! This is a great idea. Going to add this to what I'm trying now.

I have mostly managed to replace my urge to suck my thumb with my pacifier. When I was younger, I realized I couldn't sleep without something in my mouth. Usually it's a pacifier and has been since I was 17-18. Often, if I'm not sucking a pacifier during the day, I'll find myself sucking my thumb randomly if my hands are free and attention diverted elsewhere. This happens when watching TV a lot. I don't do it in public but I am conscious of the urge and fight it at that point.

Default Replacing thumbsucking with pacifier...

I sucked my thumb until I was about 11 or 12, and honestly, I remember one day I just stopped and never did it again! I think I used to dip my thumbs in nail polish remover so they would taste way too nasty to suck x