Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of your diapers / Pads / pull ups... Products and your Insurance.

Default Cost of your diapers / Pads / pull ups... Products and your Insurance.

Well the thing is this...
    triggered by the post about those stupifyingly expensive printed VBA diapers it got me thinking again about the money-cost of my incontinence & bedwetting...

I'd really be interested to see how's that with you...

for myself I'm a bedwetter (5-7 nights a week)... and have a "moderate" daytime IC. (I dribble and sometimes don't make it to the toilet in time, can't hold it long).

At night I can get by with Attends Slip Regular M10...

During the day I mostly wear pads (either Tena or molicare) or pull-ups (tena Pants Plus or super) - and when I know I'll have to deal with longer trips, or know bathroom access is going to be difficult I wear an Attends Slip M8.
    The M8 are really comfy, if not put on too tight I can actually pull them down/up almost like pull-ups... they're totally discrete and hold quite a lot.
    Also I wear those at home on the weekends or at evenings for convenience of not having to watch out so much.

So here's the cost:
    Prices in Euros (1Eur = approx. 1.3 USD)

My attends M10 are 28 diapers for each bag, and cost about 0.59 per diaper.
    The M8 are about 0.50 each.

Pull-ups at about 0.80 each
    Pads at about 0.50 each.

I need the average of 380-400 night time diapers each year (minimum): 400 x.59=236

And have to change my pull ups about twice a day + a diaper at home / evenings / weekends.. so lets say three diapers a day over the year = 3*365= 1095 pull-ups/pads/diapers (pads are cheaper and really convenient)...
    with a normal pull-up (the pull-ups go for about 0.80 each, the pads for about 0.50 each.... with the mix of mostly pads, followed by pull ups and by diapers... I'd say it's about 2x0.5 + 1x0.8 = 1.8 per day
    that's 1095 * 1.8 = 1971.00 ^

Total for Night & Day 1971+236 = 2207.- this is in Euros
    In US$ this is approx. 2870$

Now that's just a base figure of course... sometimes it's a good bit more, sometimes less.

My insurance ONLY covers approx. 1300$ ...
    The remainder I have to pay out of my own pocket each year. (that is 1500$).
    The amount the insurance covers is defined by the government... so it's nationwide and independent of the type of insurance.

I think it's a sad thing... that with all the social payments, taxes and stuff people have to cover the added cost of living due to their "disabilities" on their own, at least to a large extend...

I mean look at this:
    I've been incon for the last 33 years... arguably the first 3-4 don't really matter. and arguably during my 4-10th year the products were "cheaper" as not "adult / teen sized".... so let's forget about the first ten years.
    but so far that's 20 years and probably with an average life expectation ahead of me (~75 years total -33= 42years)... so that will be roughly 60 years...
    now 60years * 1500$ = a whopping 90'000$ I have to pay for diapers.
    (unless of course modern medicine at one point finally comes up with a solution in my case).

I know it's kind of stupid to ponder about stuff like that... but well...

so what's your take, your situation, your solution?

The NHS supplies me with a maximum of 4 packs of Molicare Maxi pads per month (60 at retail prices but I'm sure the NHS would pay less than that). They also supply me with six catheters a day (retail price 300 per month). Since going up to six catheters a day instead of four, I'm using a lot less than 4 packs of pads in a month.

On top of that, I also buy Tena Flex Maxis and Tena Slip maxis, but again with the extra catheters, I'm using about one pack a month of those.

My costs on disposable diapers run me at $100.00 USD a month. I get auto shipments on my Attends Waistband Style every 5 weeks for 2 packs of 22 ea
    for $44.00 USD. I get a case of 72 Dry24/7's for $113.00 USD every 8 weeks. Around the first of the year I invested about $350.00 in 8 Dependeco AIO's
    and boosters to help cut down on disposable costs. I was able to cancel a order for my Attends Breatheable's Which I was also wearing for daytime use.
    I now wear my AIO's for daytime and my disposables for evening and overnight use. Medicare doesn't pay for any of my diapers since I'm not under a Drs
    care for my urge IC. For me my laundry costs are nil because I don't pay for water. I only have to buy my detergent. Where I live all my utilities are furnished.

Default Re: Cost of your diapers / Pads / pull ups... Products and your Insurance.

EP01 you should invest in some cloth diapers to help cut down the cost a little bit. That's a good chunk of income coming out of your pocket. There are pinless alternatives that are easy to put on.

I personally agree with Metalmann . Try to invest in cloth diapers , if you would wear it at day only , at least it can cut off your minimal 2 pullups' value, which will results a big saving .. 2 x 0.5 x 365

Default Cost of your diapers / Pads / pull ups... Products and your Insurance.

because I'm already disable (according to the government) and already on medicaid, my incontinence supplies are covered. 9 packs of the crappy attends diapers. and whether they feel like shipping them or not, 2 packs of boosters. Also because I'm not usually at home, they provide a couple packs of wipes a month.
    I don't run out of diapers, which is good!!! even if I'm changing every couple hours...liquid flows right through me.

Dyml / Metalman / Oleman72,

I could see chances over time to use cloth AT NIGHT - but during the Day?
    Isn't cloth a good bit thicker than let me say one of my Pads or Pull-Ups?
    I've got one AIO type cloth diaper, and it's an "emergency" thing... when it's wet and I sit down on a hard surface It's about as prone to leak as a bag with holes in there. (usually leaks out of the leg openings) and it's already bulkier than any of my pads or pull-ups.
    Also it would mean to carry nor just about one spare diaper around, but also carry a some sort of a water-tight bag around al day long to take care of the used cloth diaper... the disposables, well I can dispose of them in any public toilet (the trash.. not *in* the toilet of course)...
    Also Washing, whilst it wouldn't be that "expensive" it's still electricity, water, detergent... and with daily two of them I also would need about 14-20 of the diapers... as I usually am able to wash about once a week.
    Also that would make me hand-pre-wash the diapers daily... so they don't get smelly....

Besides all this, I sometimes wear my "own" cloth diapers when I have to travel and taking enough supplies along is difficult or impossible.
    in this case I have invested in a load of microfibre trekking-type towels... some I have just left the way they are... other I've turned into pad-type things or pull-up type things with velcro closures and elasticts.
    Over these I wear a Polyurethane type "plastic" pant with velcro closure.
    But it's far less comfy when it comes to "feeling" dry - especially during night. but these towels at least dry quite quickly, so I can handwash them in the morning and they're usually dry by mid-day / afternoon.

So cloth, might be an option for night / at home...

Also the probably best AIO I've ever tried was the Texamed Padycare.... but that's been some days gone by... and it costs around 70€ (90$) each.. so to get enough for a week's time + 2 = that equals about 910$
    and I assume I'd have to get new ones within the year or so with all the washing...?? I mean they can't last forever (the ones I had lasted for about 1.5 years)... so just for the night-time, without the added cost in washing, it would be more expensive than my current quality disposables.

Default Re: Cost of your diapers / Pads / pull ups... Products and your Insurance.

I wouldn't totally trust AIOs without plastic pants. I wouldn't say wear cloth diapers outside the home. I mean for bedtime and while staying home. I'd suggest a velcro closure cloth diaper with necessary extra padding for night time along with plastic pants. I wouldn't wear cloth outside the house due to the fact that changing and storing of used diapers would be weird. I would stay with your normal routine that works for you out of the house and use cloth while at home imo.

I suffer from OAB and IBS and have been wearing for years. My insurance won't pay for diapers. I pay for my diapers through a Flexible Spending Account, which means I'm still paying out of pocket, but the costs are tax free. For about 9 years now, I've worn cloth at night and disposables during the day. Total costs for all diapers was between 1,400 and 1,700 a year. For almost a year now, I've worn cloth almost exclusively day and night. The upfront expense is more for cloth and even with purchasing a few cases of higher-end disposables for travel, the total cost for my diapering has come down to around 900 to 1,000 per year (not including the cost of detergent and electricity for laundering).

Thanks for the details... much appreciated!

If I may, what type of cloth diaper do you wear - day? night? ... also how do you handle laundry / daytime taking care of used diapers?
    How about leaks when you sit / etc... as so far I have figured, that cloth diapers don't do the same thing as a SAP-filled disposable...
    How discrete are they (I don't care *that* much for night time (well I don't like to have to waddle like stupid... - but daytime "concealment" is important to me).

Also how many do you usually need? daytime...

The more I think about it, even though so far I have not really been much in favor of cloth diapers, it makes sense... more then ever with the cost issue.