Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discreetly Ditching Diapers

Default Discreetly Ditching Diapers

As we know, what we get into the house, we must get back out of the house. I've been trying to limit my 'consumption' to 2 a day max. I can easily conceal that in my backpack when wrapped in 2 plastic grocery bags (which many local municipalities are bandwagoning to ban entirely). I try to watch for secluded dumpsters along my routes. The first time I had to ditch on the way to work I ended up almost transporting them the whole way there, I had a messed one and was anxious about the odor becoming embedded in my bag, not to mention people too close by to see at the first several bins I planned to use.

I did find 1 spot that meets the bill, coincidentally it is near a hospice care facility. When I'm at home I can mingle a few into the compost vessel that gets sent to a chipping machine, but it doesn't offset my 'footprint'. I do wish to be considerate to the people who need those dumpsters and not hit the same places over and over without spreading them out.

How does everyone else deal with the issue? And sorry if topic is too graphic, but it does need addressing if it means our "fun" is affecting other people after all

Back before my wife found out about my diapers, I used to go out of my way to dispose of them secretly. This usually meant bagging them immediately, taking them out to my car, and later dropping them in one of the many garbage cans in the parking garage at work. I did that for years.

My wife now knows, but hasn't shown any interest in participating, and I'm not going to push things. I still wear mainly when I'm by myself, but I've eased up a bit in other ways. Instead of taking used diapers elsewhere to dispose of them, I just toss them in our big green garbage can that gets picked up once a week. I still bag them, both to avoid smelling up the can as well as to avoid their being instantly recognized for diapers. Sure, I may not lose spouse cred for simply tossing them in as-is, but bagging them seems like the nice thing to do.

Lately, I've been wearing cloth diapers greater than half the time. These, of course, don't end up in the trash, and as I have young children who really ought not to know about my diaper habit, I have to be careful about when I decide to do diaper laundry. But that's for another topic!

Your 40 years old and needing to ask how to dispose of diapers like a 15 or 16 year old living with parents would?

How about ::put them in plastic bag, throw them in the garbage can outside::

Again, your 40 years old. Just who the hell do you have keep from knowing so damn badly?

I used do it with about a triple layer of plastic bags.. and yes I know those things are terrible for the earth. So are disposable diapers in fact, a double whammy.

Good thing I don't have to be discreet anymore since I am legally a grown person thing. Heh. I feel bad now. T.T

Default Re: Discreetly Ditching Diapers

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Your 40 years old and needing to ask how to dispose of diapers like a 15 or 16 year old living with parents would?

How about ::put them in plastic bag, throw them in the garbage can outside::

Again, your 40 years old. Just who the hell do you have keep from knowing so damn badly?
    I agree with this, if you have to, put it underneath other trashbags and ect. Its not like your significant other is going to open the trash can, sniff it, and decides it smells like dirty diapers, and then dig around to confirm their suspicions. Seriously, trash stinks before you throw dirty diapers in it.

You are are being a little TOO paranoid, no offense meant.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I agree with this, if you have to, put it underneath other trashbags and ect. Its not like your significant other is going to open the trash can, sniff it, and decides it smells like dirty diapers, and then dig around to confirm their suspicions. Seriously, trash stinks before you throw dirty diapers in it.

While I think the question is generally a sound one, I have to caution people who wear in secret about garbage cans. When I lived at home, I saw my parents dig through the trash on more than one occasion. While it was by no means commonplace, I took it as an indication that circumstances may be unfriendly to keeping things secret on occasion. My parents weren't suspicious, they just weren't afraid of the trash, if they thought something had been thrown out in error or seemed amiss. Maybe it's just a matter of knowing the temperament of those with whom one lives.

If I were to be living with them in the future (most unlikely), and continued my use of diapers, while keeping it secret, I doubt I would dispose of them there for just that reason. The chance of discovery is fairly remote, but the consequences of that discovery would justify the caution if keeping the secret was that important. Why it should be so important is the bigger and more relevant question, I think.

I vaguely remember someone on here saying that they would burn them in a bonfire. Don't remember who it was, but its probably worse for the environment than throwing them out. Who wants to smell the remnants of burnt diapers in their bonfire when they're cooking their S'mores? Burying them in the backyard is also a bad idea, especially if you have a dog! I live alone, so I just use my trash can like normal.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post

That was how I got caught with mine by my aunt and uncle. They assumed it was medical and they found a solution to the odor problem. Gave me a bucket to use and they put a deodorizer thing on the trash can lid. The smell is what gave it away and I am sure they would have opened the bags if I had them tied. I didn't think they would look in the trash because who does when they throw stuff away?

I put them in the diaper genie. I empty the genie into a Tall Kitchen bag and dump that in the outside bin. I could probably skip the double bag, but other people use the bins.

TheArtist

Nine out ten times, anything you don't need in your life can be dealt with by fire