Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMI - Does anyone pay attention to it?

Default BMI - Does anyone pay attention to it?

Its been bugging me ever since i took this test claiming that i am overweight and i wondered what people thought about it?

Losing the 5-10kg that i want is proving to be such a hassle! I go running, eat healthy, drink water a lot, avoid booze maybe a drink a week and still i am stuck at 79.7!

Am i kidding myself that i am loosing fat but not loosing weight because of muscle building? I really cant go to a gym as i am 90mins away from the nearest one... So i'd ask you guys instead!

Quote Originally Posted by daviej86 View Post
    Losing the 5-10kg that i want is proving to be such a hassle! I go running, eat healthy, drink water a lot, avoid booze maybe a drink a week and still i am stuck at 79.7!
    How tall are you? and how big is your waist? If you're eating a healthy / taking exercise / not drinking much and you're pretty stubbornly about 80kgs maybe that's the right weight for your body... I don't do anything very healthy and I'm stuck at a slim 60kgs.

BMI was never intended to be a LAW more of a guideline - it's just an easy, rough and ready way to compare the weights of people of different heights.

5ft 10 tall and 32" so i know i can get down to a 28" but without dieting as that is the worst way to do it

Hmm I'm about the same hieght as you and I'm 20kgs lighter and my waist isn't 28 inches, it's 30 - it maybe that's it's just the shape of your body and you may be stuck with it... any reason you want to get down to a 28in waist?

No reason really, just that's what my aim goal is... Always good to set your sights on something... Perhaps I need to step up my game and go for 2 runs a day etc?

Default So much more to it than that...

Assessing Your Weight and Health Risk

Body Fat Percentage Calculator

So for me a 'BMI' of 18.2, and a 'BFP' of 10% for 54.5kg, 173cm, and 71cm around the waist...I'm teetering on the statistical minimums. I am allowed by this test as low as 8% body-fat-percentage, until 40 years of age. But, the W.H.O. considers my numbers to be slightly malnourished.

What is your geometrical shape? Do you resemble more of an apple-shape, or a pear-shape?
    Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator

Weight, and to some degree size really is only a small part of the total you feel in both performance and a general state of being...what time of day you weigh yourself...what your primary average source of fat, and caloric intake is, to fluid retention, and how much 'BM' you retain, as well as lean-muscle mass. Then the other 'risk-factors' of genetic history of diabetes, high BP, and cardio troubles are all to be considered.

The online tests are okay for a general idea...but being seen by a competent medical practitioner, and or nutritional expert would be a more solid plan.

Still hungry after eating 2-3 platefuls? Don't have a dietary neurosis or eating disorder?

You may simply be missing the right nutrients! It is my understanding that High-Fructose-Corn syrup (HFC) though allegedly equal to cane-sugar for calories...does not elicit a proper insulin response, which fails to satiate appetite...and may be a leading cause of both obesity, and diabetes.

Here in the US HFC is prolific in many 'foods' we eat...though there is a ever slow move away from it. I believe that many of our obese population may actually be malnourished, and have to work that much harder to carry around the additional weight. You try carrying around 100+ additional pounds all the time, while getting insufficient nourishment for extended periods of time...and then consider the emotional and mental tasks too.

Note: I don't keep my trimness because I am some sort of nutritional 'guru'...I have an overactive metabolism, that's met with other digestive disorders, and the same dietary shortcomings of many of the rest of you.

So daviej86, I would recommend getting the whole picture before making any drastic changes...there's much to learn!

My friends come in L, XL, and XXL, and range from holistic to program diet (weight-loss) attempts...with varying degrees of success.

best of luck,

BMI is utter bullshit - I can't believe anyone still uses that index for anything but toilet-paper.

Just one example of BMI gone wrong: When I was into competitive sports, I weighed 79-81 kg. at that time I was 17 - and had a measured 9-11% body fat... Six pack and all.
    But according to my general practitioners stupid BMI I was OVERWEIGHT ?! I should have weight 65-70 kg. Max / Optimal... My doc kept pushing this, until I took off my shirt and he gaped with his beer belly from behind his desk at my ripped body.... if I'd lost another 9-14 kg, I would have been quite underweight...

These days I'm a tad taller than when I was 17... also my shoulder / chest girth is a good bit larger than when I was 17... according to the BMI chart I should weigh no more than 75kg (tops).
    But I weigh in at 84 and am still ripped.... probably at about 13-15% Body fat.
    So? BMI says again I'm overweight... I'm certainly not, by any definition.

BMI was invented by a mathematician... says all.

I don't trust the BMI because it is too inaccurate.

One of my friends is very trim, and has been going to the gym for years. He eats healthy and has an athletic figure, the BMI told him that he is very unhealthy. That simply isn't true, and it's because he has muscle weight.

I on the other hand have a fairly sedentary lifestyle, eat a fair bit of fast food, and don't exercise as much as I should. I'm currently at 21% body fat, according to the BMI index. That sets me at 1% outside of the healthy range for my age group. I've put on about 20lbs of fat in the past few months, so I know for sure that I am outside of the healthy range by a larger margin that that..

The BMI system is just too inaccurate and doesn't take into account all of the variables that can change the reading.

Well, unless one is athletic and has a good amount of muscle and low fat (say 15% and under) I think the BMI is a fairly good indicator.

For the average person that only does light activities and such it can simply be a good pointer to your current situation. It is not very conclusive, no, but imho it doesn't need to be. It is just one of many figures to look at. But then again, I like tracking stuff and use a fitbit one - including additional tools to create weight trend graphs and such. It's a bit of geeking around, playing really. But also, I am constantly reminded of my sub-ideal numbers and for me that works as a great motivator to go out and get active more often than not.

And in that sense the BMI was useful, because I kept hating I was above 25 so that was my initial motivation to get going, to get below. Now that I am, admittedly, the BMI is just a simple checking tool. If I am "normal", all is good. If I go to underweight or overweight I do know then I've got to change something asap. Otherwise I'm 'good'.

BMI is really only used by doctors as a screening tool, so it shouldnt be used to conclusively say someone is overweight. As has been pointed out, this is because muscle weighs more then fat and therefore, someone who works out a ton or has a lot of muscle will appear to be overweight according to the BMI scale. This is where some interpretation is required in order to determine if the person is actually overweight or if it is because of muscle.

Remember, this is a screening tool and as such, means that there will be false positives that occur, especially in the case of this. The reason being is that in order to be able to capture a wide net of people who are overweight, people who are healthy are actually caught in with that group. The difference here is that unlike other tests, doctors can interpret the results and the type of body their patient has in order to figure out what is right or not.

The other aspect that BMI is helpful for (something that nosuwhide touched on) is for monitoring people who are overweight/underweight. If you know that the person is outside of the normal ranges (and cannot be explained due to high metabolism/large amount of muscle mass/etc) then BMI can track how a person is going. For example, a person who is severely underweight (say due to bulimia/anorexia) then the BMI can be used to watch the person progress back to normal weight for their height. This is important in cases such as this because you dont want the person to remain underweight like they are and you dont want them to be overweight either so the BMI gives you a target that you can aim for in order to get them back on track.