Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are "M4's" And "X-Plus" the same thing?

Default Are "M4's" And "X-Plus" the same thing?

Just a quick question for people with more experience than myself.

I ordered a case of Abena diapers the other day and just decided to go with the thickest ones available from the company I purchased them from. I just checked my order details and it says I purchased "Abena x-plus" , when initially I thought I had purchased M4's as I had just assumed that the M4 was the thickest offering from Abena.

Now, my questions: Are x-plus diapers radically different from the m4's? In general, which diaper is thicker, and performs the best?

I know that some of these questions have been answered before, but with Abena changing so much recently, I'd like some newer information.

-Ron

X-Plus haven't existed for a while... They got renamed "4" for absorbency prefixed with S, M or L for size... so M4 is medium size X-Plus (i.e. maximum) absorbency.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    X-Plus haven't existed for a while... They got renamed "4" for absorbency prefixed with S, M or L for size... so M4 is medium size X-Plus (i.e. maximum) absorbency.
    Does that just mean I've purchased old stock from the company? Were the x-pluses good while they existed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    Does that just mean I've purchased old stock from the company? Were the x-pluses good while they existed?
    No, I doubt it will be "old stock", it's just that a lot of places/people kept using the old absorbency ratings. The X-Pluses and M4s were both totally amazing. The later M4s have more SAP and less wood pulp (so they're thinner and more flexible)... the only thing that makes a big difference is whether they're plastic-backed or not. Plastic-backed ones were great!

That'd have to be 4/5 years old, so I highly doubt that. I think your retailer just didn't bother changing the name of the product when Abena did.

X-Pluses were the equivalent of M4s, although I personally like M4s better, as more SAP and less pulp makes them softer and squishier when wet, the plastic is softer and crinklier, and tapes stick better. I first got to try the M4s more or less a year after they replaced X-Pluses and my first thought was "Wow, now *this* is the perfect diaper!!"

Quote Originally Posted by quattrus View Post
    That'd have to be 4/5 years old, so I highly doubt that. I think your retailer just didn't bother changing the name of the product when Abena did.

X-Pluses were the equivalent of M4s, although I personally like M4s better, as more SAP and less pulp makes them softer and squishier when wet, the plastic is softer and crinklier, and tapes stick better. I first got to try the M4s more or less a year after they replaced X-Pluses and my first thought was "Wow, now *this* is the perfect diaper!!"
    Would you say that today's version of the M4 is similar to when you first tried them in terms of quality and construction? I'm really hoping to have the best experience with Abena as possible. This is my first time buying anything that was better than store bought diapers.

I have a quite large stock so I still have some of the Xpluses I purchased in 2008, the M4s I got in summer 2011, then the ones I got in late 2011, and then some from March 2012. Despite what some said about their quality deteriorating with time, I really like M4s from the late production, so I'd say you won't be missing out on your first high-range diapers experience! ^^

The "early" M4s from 2011 have a slightly thicker plastic foil, but I never had any issue with the thinner plastic in the latest M4s. As I said, it makes them crinklier and softer They also slightly changed the plastic of the tapes, which is not completely smooth but has a kind of a slight texture, although it's a practically unnoticeable detail.

Just out of curiosity, when you receive them let me know the production date pinprinted on the side of the packages, obviously along with your impressions!

The latest plastic-backed M4s (with black manufacturing code printed on them) are a bit lighter and thinner than the previous versions (of just over a year ago with a blue manufacturing code), and they have thinner, slightly more "rubbery" plastic.

The older blue-code ones felt more bulky and substantial, and the plastic felt "tougher"... The newer ones are more flexible, so are more comfortable (they feel more "fluffy") and absorb faster, and the plastic is thinner but has a nicer feel (in my opinion).

When I got the newer ones I was gutted that they didn't feel as bulky, but I quickly came to love them as they still feel good and (in terms of fit and function) "perform" better. If you haven't tried either, you'd probably hardly notice the difference!

But yeah... you can't get the plastic-backed Abena Abri-Form in the UK now, so... I'm devastated (*sniff*)... It doesn't seem like there's an alternative that would be half as good... (So I hope you enjoy them!)

That's good to hear, Tiny. I like hearing that the product is still good, even though it has changed. Sucks about the plastic backed version being Axed in the UK though. I'm glad it's still offered in Canada. I was starting to think it would be cut out before I even got to try one of the best regarded diapers I hear of from Ab/Dls :p .

And, Quattrus, I'll definitely be sure to let you know how the diapers are. I'd say I'll be impressed.

Sucks about the plastic backed version being Axed in the UK though. I'm glad it's still offered in Canada. I was starting to think it would be cut out before I even got to try one of the best regarded diapers I hear of from Ab/Dls :p .
    Same in germany, or whole europe i guess. Too bad, i liked them and cotton feel (the new s/m/l 4) is not the same...

As an alternative, there are formacare xplus or Comslip plus night, which are nearly~ the same, but still not as bulky as the m4