View Poll Results: What does "turn down the air conditioning mean"?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn the power down so the room gets HOTTER

17 73.91%
  • Turn the temperature down so the room gets COLDER

6 26.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you turn the air conditioning down... does it get hotter or colder?!

Question If you turn the air conditioning down... does it get hotter or colder?!

One thing I've always found really ambiguous is whether "turning down" air conditioning means your reducing the energy supplied to the device so the room gets warmer, or if people are talking about the thermostat... so turning it down makes it colder.

I'm sure I've heard people use the phrase both ways, so... I thought I'd put it to the vote!

For the record, I think it makes more sense that "turning down" the air con means "make the room hotter"... Otherwise I'd say "turn the thermostat down" or "turn the temperature down"... But what do you think? Am I crazy?!

I just say "turn on the air conditioning/fan" or if I want to be on a lower setting, say "turn it on low, turn it on high, turn it on medium". That way this dilemma doesn't really happen.

Though I guess I could if I wanted to say turning up air conditioning, in that I'm turning UP the air conditioning not turning up the temperature... which would make it colder because more air conditioning means more cold.

Yep. Interesting little question though!

Turning the air con down could refer to reducing it's effectiveness as a cooler in which case the room would get warmer but only as far as the ambient temperature could allow. On the other hand, if you meant, as has been suggested, turning the thermostat to a lower temperature, then the room would of course become colder.

I think that when most people say, "turn the air-con down" they are suggesting that it is too cold! or in the case of it bein used as a heater (reverse cycle) then "it's too warm" in which case you would actually be turning the air conditioner down.........OMG phew...get all that. confusing isn't it lol

My family says turn it down if we want it to be colder, and turn it off if it's too cold.

I would usually avoid this phrasing but if I were to say this, I would mean that I want it colder. The air conditioning is on. That is our baseline. I'm not requesting that it be "less on." I am proposing that we decrease the one value associated with air conditioning: room temperature.

Be fair... I once rented a place in Christcurch and it had an air con with a stupid Chinese-English manual and it mentioned turning the aircon down... Confused me too esp in broken English!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverKnow View Post
    I would usually avoid this phrasing but if I were to say this, I would mean that I want it colder. The air conditioning is on. That is our baseline. I'm not requesting that it be "less on." I am proposing that we decrease the one value associated with air conditioning: room temperature.
    Surely the baseline (if interpreting that to mean its natural state) should be that the air conditioning is off? In any case, the only reasonable variable we can assign to the air conditioning unit is the power supplied to it. Power is our independent variable, while we reasonably assume a correlation between the power and the temperature in the room, we do not strictly change the temperature. We change the power supplied to the air conditioner which in turn causes the temperature to change, but we can not be sure the temperature response to the power change will be as expected.

So the thing that makes sense is to describe the variable we actually control - the power. Turning it down means less power, so we should get a warmer room.

"Turn it up" on an air conditioner means to crank up the speed of the fans, and make it colder. Turning it down is just the opposite, there for it gets warmer. Normally, however, people just tell them to turn it down.

Down = hotter.

I love these sorts of important life questions, btw. Now, if I "turn down the bed," does that mean I've decided to sleep on the floor? Or that I've made the bed less... bed-like... somehow? That saying really makes no sense.