Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Academic Journal Article on ABDL and Depression

Default Upcoming Academic Journal Article on ABDL and Depression

A therapist and professor in Minnesota named Brian Zamboni did a survey on ABDL and depression. I emailed him to see if he was ever going to publish the results and he told me that it is currently in the slow process of being published. Here is the abstract:

"This internet-based study provided descriptive information and exploratory analyses on 1,795 male and 139 female members of the Adult Baby/Diaper Lover (ABDL) community (N=1,934). Based on prior research, some research questions focused on the degree to which ABDL behavior was associated with negative mood states, parental relationships, and attachment style. Based on clinical experience, a second research question focused on discerning two possible subgroups within the ABDL community: persons focused on role play behavior and persons who are primarily interested in sexual arousal in their ABDL behavior. The results showed modest support for the former research questions, but notable support for the last research question. Because of some overlap between the two hypothesized subgroups, additional sects may exist. Males in the ABDL community identified their ABDL interests earlier than females and these males may be more focused on sexual aspects of ABDL practices. Both males and females perceived being dominated as important in their ABDL behavior. Most participants were comfortable with their ABDL behavior and reported few problems. ABDL behavior may represent a sexual subculture that is not problematic for most its participants."

I found it interesting that the end result of the study was that ABDL was not problematic for most of its participants yet he did state that there was a modest connection between ABDLism and depression. I am interested in seeing the exact numbers there.

Anyone have any theories for why males identified their ABDL interests earlier than females? Small sample size for the females maybe (although 139 is not bad)?

I believe that boys are more difficult to potty train than girls. I still believe there is a correlation between potty training and being attracted to diapers in later life.

I would assume based on no actual scientific knowledge and just my own hunches from what I have seen people talking about that the common theory for why would they identified their interests earlier would just be the general opinion males tend to get "stuck" in their childhood phases more commonly then women. Not saying I believe that, and that might not be the theory.. more what I assume people assume. Though I find that a little interesting given that apparently males were more likely to be focused on the sexual aspects of AB/DL interests. If women are generally more interested in the regressive, non-sexual side of things then.. well, I don't know. That might mean something? I don't really have any bit of good knowledge on the research that goes into this sort of thing.

Though again, the fact that so little women were surveyed, an unfortunate reality, means that a lot of the comparisons of gender in this sort of thing is not going to be considered conclusive at all. 139 isn't bad, but it's not enough I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I believe that boys are more difficult to potty train than girls. I still believe there is a correlation between potty training and being attracted to diapers in later life.
    That's a pretty interesting theory. Totally might have a factor in it.

Just a theory, but the anatomical nature of males probably means that the *ahem* parts of their body that are high in nerve-endings are probably stimulated by the pressure/abrasion of the diaper more than the equivalent parts of a female...

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Maybe, but there are many different factors that could have caused the larger amount of boys rather than girls who participate. Maybe it's the increased sex drive, maybe it's the social duties given to men (such as a need to be "manly"), or maybe it's something completely different. I don't think it's fair to assume that it's definitely correlated with difficulty in potty training without any direct evidence.

It could be that boys are perhaps discouraged from infantile behavior from very early on, while girls may experience more positive reinforcement for cute and babyish behaviours. It seems that girls continue to be able to express themselves in this way without judgement, while boys are ostracized if not exhibiting manly characteristics....this could leave them craving the nurturing they are missing, and encourage the secret development of attachment to infantile feelings and objects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Just a theory, but the anatomical nature of males probably means that the *ahem* parts of their body that are high in nerve-endings are probably stimulated by the pressure/abrasion of the diaper more than the equivalent parts of a female...
    I tend to agree also with this....it does seem to fit, and would easily be mixed up with other feelings experienced by little fellas..

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    It could be that boys are perhaps discouraged from infantile behavior from very early on, while girls may experience more positive reinforcement for cute and babyish behaviours. It seems that girls continue to be able to express themselves in this way without judgement, while boys are ostracized if not exhibiting manly characteristics....this could leave them craving the nurturing they are missing, and encourage the secret development of attachment to infantile feelings and objects.
    I think I'd agree with you there too... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    Good point, Ozbub. I have to agree with this.

The commonly accepted reason for the massive gender imbalance has, as far as I've ever seen, been the fact that diapers come in direct contact with male genitalia. I'm not sure if there's data to back that, but it's certainly the intuitive reason given BitterGrey's stats on what proportions of the community consider this sexual. My first instinct, if I were the person trying to formally research this, would be to search down that path before trying to test pretty much any other theory about differences between the two genders.

It's worth noting that the massive gender imbalance - something around 90% of ABDLs in pretty much every online survey or poll I've ever seen are male - is not typical among kinks. Generally the gender splits are far closer to even, and even when they're not even, they certainly aren't 10:1.

It will be interesting to read the paper and see what was controlled for in coming to conclusions about any links between ABDL and depression, or if the paper is merely asserting that there's an effect and then proposes the intuitive explanations.