Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins....

Quote Originally Posted by MokatheGroundhog View Post
    US Internet providers start spy program to stop file-sharing ? RT USA What are your thoughts on all of this?
    Ok with? Disagree?
    I'm not the biggest fan of the source but I suppose that's hardly the point. Everything looks legit so no complaints from me. When it comes to the content shared.. I feel a little torn. I'm not against companies and internet service providers trying to fight piracy. It's something that they have every right to try to stop. This isn't one of the worst ways they've tried but it still seems extremely flawed and hardly the best. I would hate to see innocent people who haven't been doing anything wrong suffer, or the freedom of the internet suffer because of something like this. If there is a serious potential for this to happen, I'm certainly concerned.

So I'm not okay with it, but I understand why it exists. I'm not angry at companies trying to fight piracy, just their methods of doing it. This method bothers me a tad, but I feel like I need to do a little more research before I truly decide if I dislike it or not.

RT? There are much better places to get information than that.

Although, of course, I'm not okay with it. There are much better ways to attempt to fight piracy (although I don't disagree with piracy in the slightest), and spying on people is not the way to do so. If I found out my ISP was spying on me, it would not take long for me to take them to court.

Well it could help keep people from pirating things, especially music.

I like to think I see this matter particularly clearly, as the over-arching debate is an issue I've pondered on for many years.

Fundamentally, one must look at the causes of online piracy. While it is obviously true that free content is a motive, it is by no means the only one. Convenience is also another. As is control. It's in these two areas that I feel particularly angered, because there are better alternative actions for media companies to take than to punish the user.

Original attempts to battle music file sharing services such as kazaa and napster with content services, were god damn aweful. They were subscription services (no-ownership!), that had little software support, awful software clients, ran on crap expensive hardware and limited you to a single record-company's catalogue. I think this shows the mentality which still prevails in most media company's boardroom meetings. Instead of giving the user more choice, a good experience when using a service and treating us like human beings; they always instinctively milk us for all our worth while investing as little thought and money into an idea as possible.

However, invest a proper amount of time and energy and something quite different occurs. Apple did with their iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store - a seemless integration from hardware, software to online distribution, that allows users to actually OWN the music. Because Apple were the first to do it, they actually managed to lower the market average of music prices. Using their corporate clout they got record companies to agree with each other, rather than continue the infighting that had been occurring up until then. Suddenly you have an exciting new market that makes billions.

Pirated music downloads per year are a tiny fraction of the number of songs iTunes store sells in a year. Apple stands as a testament to how one can create an environment where your users want to purchase content from you. Frankly, media companies missed the boat. And guess what? They continue to!

I've always thought that companies that are so resistant to change deserve to go bankrupt. It's so important that company market leaders still strive towards innovation and don't stagnate. The fact of the matter is that media companies are still struggling to create environments that their users are happy with. Their mentality is to lock the user in to their format or subscription service. Once in, the company can then change their terms and conditions and up costs without any warning. It's a "donkey being lead with a carrot" situation, only at the end of the dusty road is a secret massive bill we will all have to pay in the future.

Also, underneath all of this is one notion. One that I believe quite strongly. Combating file-sharing is futile. Much like the war on drugs is futile. It's a waste of time and money. People will always find ways around it. While torrenting might be popular at the moment, P2P is only one way of sharing files. Give it a few years and there will be something new and preferable to users, that can't be throttled or detected. One interesting thing I might suggest we all think about is if governments and companies are so resistant to change, how quickly do you think they'll create laws for other new types of file-sharing?

This is a neverending battle. A battle that media companies, if they had any sense, shouldn't be fighting. But alas, there's no logic behind capitalism, only cynicism!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    No. No it won't.

People getting used for like 6k-250k haven't stopped people from pirating. In general piracy is here to stay, it will always exist from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way babyBalto okay? No one is picking on you. Rather, we're pointing out different ideas.

My thinking is just as Fire2Box said. Pirating is here to stay. There's no way to totally stop it. There are probably more ways to pirate online music than I could probably count.

That point aside, I would have to say that I obviously am against it. I don't know if there will ever be a perfect method to curtail piracy. In an imperfect world, you're going to have imperfect people. You're going to have imperfect ways to try to deal with those imperfect people. I guess bottom line is, no matter what you do, you can not legislate human moral.

Totally pointless since the end result for a six time caught down-loader is no more warnings. The law has been clear from the time radio was invented anyone has the right to receive anything broadcast. If you want it private encrypt it. The RIA is failing at stopping the up-loaders who are prosecutable so this is a desperation tactic. The real problem for the RIA is a major change in the times they have not adapted to.

I wonder if those who think pirating is acceptable, work 40 hours a week for no pay? We all want to be paid for our work product. Pirating will always be wrong, but like others, I think sites need to be sensible in the ways they handle it. At one time, they only went after the big offenders, those making a sizable profit from the work products of others. Everything else is small change and probably should be ignored.

Here is an easy solution to the piracy problem. If you don't want your hard work stolen or people to find out certain things about you, don't put it on the internet. Don't go bitching to the government because people stole something you worked hard to create, or people found something out about you. The moment you put something on the internet or out in the public eye, sooner or later someone is going to take it and run with it.