Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Mills

Default Puppy Mills

Posted this in Mature Topics because I can kinda get carried away by this but anyway, who here is aware of these masochistic institutions? There are 15000 in the US alone. Unfortunately I dont believe enough is being done to take care of this issue NOR harsh enough punishments are being given (no more than just a slap on the wrist and a fine). Personally I think the people behind the mills should be put through the torture the puppies went through.

The best thing I can see is to put them completely out of business by ensuring nobody purchases a dog from them. It is somewhat like drugs--as long as there is enough of a market, they will be in business.

This is why, out of the six dogs I have had over the last twenty years, the only one that was NOT a rescue was bought from a breeder with a contract that the dog be returned to her if there is ever a reason we can no longer own him, together with the fact that we had to provide references to the breeder before she would sell us the dog.

Every last one of my dogs has lived with us until they die, and we adopt them in age ranges from 8wks to 2yrs, and they live 11-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBalto View Post
    Posted this in Mature Topics because I can kinda get carried away by this but anyway, who here is aware of these masochistic institutions? There are 15000 in the US alone. Unfortunately I dont believe enough is being done to take care of this issue NOR harsh enough punishments are being given (no more than just a slap on the wrist and a fine). Personally I think the people behind the mills should be put through the torture the puppies went through.
    Wow, way to try and kill the free market. Puppy Mills are a prime example of capitalism and you want to shut them down?

Kidding aside...

Anyways I don't think they are as horrible as people claim, some are surely. But you can find horrible daycare's too, that doesn't mean they would all be just as horrible. If there are laws being violated then fine go in and shut them down. Other wise it's bitching and moaning like PETA, only you don't kill animal's like PETA does.

I saw this undercover taping of a mill in Oahu, Hawaii. Dogs were kept in a room called The Nursery in cramped boxes. Open syringes are left right above the boxes, the room is hot and any water provided is unhealthy to drink. Whats really heartbreaking is how they put dead puppies in the trash can like a apple core. I was so disgusted by the video I couldnt watch it all the way to the end. Even if these breeders are registered with the USDA, many of them operate in unimaginable environments much like the Oahu one.

I saw this undercover taping of a mill in Oahu, Hawaii. Dogs were kept in a room called The Nursery in cramped boxes. Open syringes are left right above the boxes, the room is hot and any water provided is unhealthy to drink. Whats really heartbreaking is how they put dead puppies in the trash can like a apple core. I was so disgusted by the video I couldnt watch it all the way to the end. Even if these breeders are registered with the USDA, many of them operate in unimaginable environments much like the Oahu one.
    I agree, it's a disgusting barbaric practice. I think real economic sanctions need to be imposed on both the sellers and the buyers!

Masochistic isn't the right word, I think you're thinking of sadistic. But yeah, I'm generally a libertarian, and think the free market should operate however it operates, and let market forces regulate what it does. I say generally because I don't think that applies in cases like this where suffering is involved. I think there will be a day where Americans finally ensure that animals within our borders are treated humanely, and the only way we can do that is with legislation. I just don't see the appetite to change things, today. As much flak as PETA gets, at least they're advancing the frame of thought that perhaps human interests aren't the only interests worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    The best thing I can see is to put them completely out of business by ensuring nobody purchases a dog from them. It is somewhat like drugs--as long as there is enough of a market, they will be in business.
    Many of them sell dogs as research animals. I have a hard time seeing that market dry up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coodie View Post
    I agree, it's a disgusting barbaric practice. I think real economic sanctions need to be imposed on both the sellers and the buyers!
    It's an enforcement issue. They're technically under the eye of the USDA, but the USDA has a ridiculously low number of inspectors. And puppy mills aren't the only facilities they regulate.

Virginia has adopted some very strong animal cruelty laws, and they are enforcing them. One thing which is helping is the cooperation of the citizenry reporting abuses. It takes watchful people to take a stand and do something about it.

That's still just one "Puppy Mill" though. You can't throw every other one in with it.

Should we kill all cows because a few caught mad cow disease once?

Should we prevent Toyota from selling cars because pirus's had stuck acculators?

Should we outlaw gas lines because they explode when not mantained or accidently damaged?

Should we ban cars on public road ways because car accidents have killed people?

Should we ban Nascar because people got hit by flying debris?

Should we ban roller coasters because a guy got his head punted off while retriving a hat that fell off eailer in the day?

Should we ban schooling since a kid died at one once?

Should we ban video games because one guy died because he did nothing but play video games?

Should we ban coke-cola because a woman died from drinking over 2 gallons of coke-cola per day?

Lastly, should we outlaw drinking water or swimming because people died from both?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    That's still just one "Puppy Mill" though. You can't throw every other one in with it.
    It's not just one, it's all of them. Do some research and what you find will shock you.

Puppy Mills : The Humane Society of the United States

Your list of bans are ridiculous and just plain ignorant. The fact of the matter is puppy mills are not needed. Go to your local shelter, they have plenty up for adoption where we don't need pet stores to sell them.