Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL relocation

Default NHL relocation

The NHL group on this site is rather dead so I thought I would post this here where it will get seen by more people. This topic is to discuss the recent talks of relocating 2 current NHL Western Conference teams to the Eastern Conference. The Columbus Blue Jackets and my team the Detroit Red Wings.

Both teams are in current favor of the move as they are truthfully from a geographic standpoint located in the East, (So is Chicago, but no one like them )

I myself am in favor of the move for the Wings to go to the East, because as of now, out of all the NHL teams, they travel the most, moving them to the East will cut down on the amount of traveling they have to do as well as allow for the Stanley Cup finals to have a chance to feature the Wings and the Avalanche, which, I mean c'mon let's face it. The Wings and the Avs have the best rivalry in the league.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    The Wings and the Avs have the best rivalry in the league.

Anyway, if we're going by geography and geography alone, then the dividing line between East and West to me is the Appalachians. That would make the choice, to get two conferences of 15 teams each, either Columbus or Detroit. Of them, I don't think either has a superior claim to be in the East. However, I'd say that Detroit has the superior claim to be in the West. Detroit belongs in the same conference as Chicago, St. Louis, and Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    *SNIP*

Anyway, if we're going by geography and geography alone, then the dividing line between East and West to me is the Appalachians. That would make the choice, to get two conferences of 15 teams each, either Columbus or Detroit. Of them, I don't think either has a superior claim to be in the East. However, I'd say that Detroit has the superior claim to be in the West. Detroit belongs in the same conference as Chicago, St. Louis, and Colorado.
    I would love to hear from you who you think has a bigger rivalry between them. Just putting a little picture does nothing to add to the conversation and was just really really stupid.

That aside, the Division Detroit is in is the Central which consists of Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Columbus and Nashville, all are pretty far East if you ask me. I don't think the league is choosing this based of of geography, it was just a point I made. There could be several reasons why they are choosing to move those 2 teams to the east.

But by moving them over, shows they have plans to move somebody to the West, or I hear rumors of Washington State getting a hockey team, nothing confirmed yet on that.

Posted by USA today.

Columbus and Detroit are the only two teams Eastern time zone teams in Western Conference.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1942539/

Default NHL relocation

Wings and Avs biggest rivalry? is it 2002 again? I feel like I've stepped out of a time warp. Li'l baby Patty Roy is getting shelled by the Wings and I'm laughing hysterically.
    That being said...I strongly suspect the NHL would go from 30 to 32 teams within the next 5 years. then it'll be all cuddly. Rumors of the Coyotes moving to Seattle wouldn't do anything to the current alignment. It makes sense for the wings and jackets to play in the eastern conference and I fully expect that to happen eventually. Whether it's next year I don't know but that seems to be the big rumor of the weekend. Thank you CBC.
    As for biggest rivals now, I would say without a doubt Flyers and Penguins. Detroit's my team, but the rivalry with colorado has come and gone...for now...
    Here's to hockey, the greatest sport in the world, and here's to the Wings raising the cup in June...or is it July this year??

I would love to hear from you who you think has a bigger rivalry between them. Just putting a little picture does nothing to add to the conversation and was just really really stupid.
    No question: Bruins-Canadiens, Flyers-Penguins

Similar rivalries: Rangers-Islanders, Oliers-Flames, Blackhawks-Blues

No question: Bruins-Canadiens, Flyers-Penguins

Similar rivalries: Rangers-Islanders, Oliers-Flames, Blackhawks-Blues
    mmm no on all accounts, Bruins and Canadiens don't have it out for each other, and I would say more like the Caps and the Penguins. Rangers and Islanders just because they share the state does not mean there is rivalry, Oilers and Flames, I don't see it. Blackhawks and Blues? Are you just putting random teams together?

Vancouver and Wings, Kings and Ducks, New Jersey and Flyers, Leafs and Canadiens. I guess let me reword my original statement, the Wings and Avs have the most memorable rivalry, which still exists today, though not as strong, because most of the players are now retired from the original teams.

Back on topic though and please stay that way. If the move were to happen what two teams would they move from the East to go West? unless they plan on keeping it 17-13, which is highly unlikely.

mmm no on all accounts, Bruins and Canadiens don't have it out for each other, and I would say more like the Caps and the Penguins. Rangers and Islanders just because they share the state does not mean there is rivalry, Oilers and Flames, I don't see it. Blackhawks and Blues? Are you just putting random teams together?
    If you don't think these are well-established rivalries, you need to stop looking at the league through red and white glasses. Seriously? You don't think the Blackhawks and Blues have a rivalry? The pair of teams that haa more penalty minutes when facing each other than any other pair of teams in league history? The teams that had the St. Patrick's Day Massacre? Mike Peluso? Jeremy Roenick? You need to watch more games that don't have your team in play.

If the move were to happen what two teams would they move from the East to go West? unless they plan on keeping it 17-13, which is highly unlikely.
    You have read the realignment plan published like a week ago, right? They're both going. I'm not a fan of it. But they're both going.

If you don't think these are well-established rivalries, you need to stop looking at the league through red and white glasses. Seriously? You don't think the Blackhawks and Blues have a rivalry? The pair of teams that haa more penalty minutes when facing each other than any other pair of teams in league history? The teams that had the St. Patrick's Day Massacre? Mike Peluso? Jeremy Roenick? You need to watch more games that don't have your team in play.

You have read the realignment plan published like a week ago, right? They're both going. I'm not a fan of it. But they're both going.
    I watch what games I can, I just don't see the rivalry between the Blues and Hawks. That aside, the move is not confirmed as far as I am seeing, from what I have read so far it has to be approved by the NHL first, for now it is a proposal.

Might I ask why you dislike the move? It is beneficial to both teams and adds for new rivalries to spring up which should make some interesting match ups. I for one look forward to it.

The only downside I see so far is that the Coyotes would be moved to Seattle, I like Phoenix where they are.

I watch what games I can, I just don't see the rivalry between the Blues and Hawks.
    You should consider the possibility that things exist which you don't see and/or aren't aware of. The Blues and Hawks have a rivalry. This is well-known.

That aside, the move is not confirmed as far as I am seeing, from what I have read so far it has to be approved by the NHL first, for now it is a proposal.
    Sixth Avenue published the plan. If Gary Bettman released a plan to the media without knowledge that the Board of Governors would formally approve it, he's a bloody moron. He doesn't know shit about hockey. But he's an exceptionally shrewd businessman.

Might I ask why you dislike the move? It is beneficial to both teams and adds for new rivalries to spring up which should make some interesting match ups. I for one look forward to it.
    First, it makes unbalanced conferences. Two conferences have only seven teams, which makes it fundamentally easier for those teams to reach the playoffs. This also suggests to me that the NHL is considering expansion again. Talent dilution is already a serious problem. Expansion makes it worse.

Second, it doesn't address parity in travel needs. Teams in the east are going to continue having a much easier travel schedule than teams in the west which decreases fatigue. Lots of free agents who go east mention the travel as a decision factor. And it means half the league ends the season way more gassed than the other. As an aside, I once read a really cool suggestion of Northern and Southern conferences. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be possible without breaking up the mid-Atlantic.

Third, Detroit out of the West. Detroit belongs in the same conference as Chicago, Colorado, and St. Louis.

Sixth Avenue published the plan. If Gary Bettman released a plan to the media without knowledge that the Board of Governors would formally approve it, he's a bloody moron. He doesn't know shit about hockey. But he's an exceptionally shrewd businessman.

First, it makes unbalanced conferences. Two conferences have only seven teams, which makes it fundamentally easier for those teams to reach the playoffs. This also suggests to me that the NHL is considering expansion again. Talent dilution is already a serious problem. Expansion makes it worse.

Second, it doesn't address parity in travel needs. Teams in the east are going to continue having a much easier travel schedule than teams in the west which decreases fatigue. Lots of free agents who go east mention the travel as a decision factor. And it means half the league ends the season way more gassed than the other. As an aside, I once read a really cool suggestion of Northern and Southern conferences. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be possible without breaking up the mid-Atlantic.

Third, Detroit out of the West. Detroit belongs in the same conference as Chicago, Colorado, and St. Louis.
    They won't leave the conferences to be unbalanced, a 17 team eastern vs a 13 team western is crazy. It solves the travel issues for the Wings and the Blue Jackets, both of which are on Eastern Standard time zones, so it only makes sense they play in the East.

You keep saying Detroit belongs in the same Confernece with Chicago, Colorado and St. Louis, but look at the Division not just the conference. If your looking at the conference look at all 15 teams not just 4 you randomly pick