Thread: Cloth Diaper Gallery

Default Cloth Diaper Gallery

Show off your favorite cloth diapers and where you got them! I just ordered these Star Wars diapers from bunnie4 on Etsy. Check them out! http://img2.etsystatic.com/012/0/590...63734_jp5y.jpg
    Now show us yours!

Hehe, that's pretty cool! An ewok print might be more my thing, though.

For me, it's prefolds, prefolds, and more prefolds:

In the dryer are prefolds from...

• Adult Cloth Diaper
    • Angel Fluff
    • Baby Pants
    • Changing Times
    • Green Mountain Diapers

Not shown are my vintage Curity prefolds, Bummis and unbleached Green Mountain prefolds, "Super Snap" snap-on fitted cloth diapers from Rearz, and... and... I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll call that everything. Oh, and 4-mil pull-on vinyl pants by Gary. And loads of pins, Boingos, and Snappis.

BTW, this picture is from the gallery in the cloth diaper group.

I have sets from the same maker though only solid colors, They are very nice XD

Here's one of my homemade cloth diapers. I have two more that have a handprint design, but are made exactly the same. I don't have pictures of the new ones yet...perhaps I'll take some today and re-post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClothFront.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	16261

I've been inspired to try making my own. I just bought some polar fleece fabric, and a printed cotton for a cover. I've used a Tena slip as a template; just cut it all out and tried it on for fit (it fits good) but haven't started sewing it all together yet. It's going to take a while as I don't have a sewing machine so I'll have to do it by hand. I'm going to leave it open at the back so I can use a terry stuffer.

I was wondering if there's anything I can use to spray or coat the inside of the cotton cover, to make it waterproof and yet would still survive washing.

Maybe in a month I'll have something finished to show you.

Downtide:
    About waterproofing fabrics:
    In two words: not really...

a bit more elaborate if I may:
    There's a few types of coatings you can apply to *some* type of fabrics to make them waterproof... but spray on won't work in the way you'd like to (as a diaper).
    the spray on stuff used to water-proof outdoor gear was intended to "repell" rain, not holding in quantities of water (pressure). it works by coating the top-fibres and basically restrict the wicking capabilities of the filaments... however, with the slightest stretch / tear you'll increase / open-up the cloth-texture and basically create tiny gaps.
    Whilst with slight rain-proofing this isn't a big thing, you'll still get wet after some time... also the coating doesn't last. UV and other influences will break it down.
    But those spray on things will not to you any good with creating an actually water-proof fabric.

Well there's more:
    You can get a PU type sealant (Poly Urethane coatings) - which you basically can drip-paint unto most textiles. The (thin) layer of PU will actually make it quite waterproof... but it's easy to puncture, rip, etc... especially with stretchy type fabrics such as Polar-Fleece stuff.
    So again, whilst this would be water-proof it won't last forever and probably doesn't like the washing machine a lot... not to mention tumble-dryers.

You can also you liquid latex... basically latex covering the fabric. This will be a bit more resilient against tearing with flexible textiles.... but it will really not take kindly to the washing machine.
    Also it'll be prone to "self-destruct" over time (become brittle, ...).

If you look at "professionally manufactured" water-proof textiles, most are either a single layer (plastic-rain-coats) of waterproof material or Laminates.
    But those laminates are made by basically producing to types of fabric: the carrier and the water-resistant layer (PVC, PU,...) and then Heat-Laminating/Glue-bonding those two textiles (Carrier-mesh / solid cloth & "Plastic") together to create a more solid, resilient, water resistant textile.
    Same goes for most stuff that is "plastics / rubber" on both sides: if it has to last it's basically a sandwich laminate: "Rubber/PU,PVC,Vinyl,..." - "Carrier" - "Rubber/PU,PVC,Vinyl,..."
    Again either heat or glue-bonded.

In the home-making of waterproof gear (I've got some experience with the outdoor-sports industry) you'd be best of to "emulate" what most industrial manufacturers do: buy the appropriate base material. Don't try to re-invent the wheel... you seriously lack the equipment to create proper water proofed stuff from scratch.
    But you can easily get water proofed fabrics and use those to make a "diaper cover".

And about sewing machines:
    Check Flea-Bay or Cracks-list or whatever's up you alley ....
    You should have no problems sourcing a nice sewing machine for very little cash.
    The thing's this: doing flexible (stretching type) stitching by hand is nearly impossible (no, of course it can be done, but you'd need to be pretty darn good with needle and thread - not saying you ain't ).
    But it's quite easy with most even basic sewing machines... and that's what you want on that kind of stuff - especially around the legs.
    mind you I'm not speaking about elastics... (but it's just as true if you include elastics) but about "compensating" for fabric-stretch. most fabrics you'll use for diaper-stuff will have quite some natural stretch to it... a straight stitching will easily rip. because it can't work with the tension changes, unless stitched really loosely (which ist not good at all).
    That's why you often see "Zig-Zag" type stitching (it's still not perfect for this, there's more complex stuff..., but a simple-zig-zag can stretch out a bit and it's something most sewing machines, even the most basic can do...)

Sewing machines are cheap...you can get a good one on sale for a little over $100. We have a basic Singer that has 23 stitches, and all you really need to make cloth is a straight stitch and maybe a zig-zag stitch. I personally use only straight stitches on mine, and have never had any problems. I make my own pattern from my measurements and every diaper I've made has turned out great.

I also would not try stitching cloth diapers by hand...it would take way too much time, and probably would not hold up as well as machine stitching.