Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smells like Gas :L

Default Smells like Gas :L

So I got a bunch of Abenas from someone on Craigslist for about half price. It was a total steal!

But I'm pretty sure that he stored the box in his garage because that's what they all smell like. Imagine a dude that came out of a coal mine with a wrench, but instead of a coal mine it's a car mine where they smell like cars all the time instead of coal.

Is there any way to get that smell out? All of the usual ways, like adding vinegar or some detergent, won't work, obviously. I'm airing some of them out overnight to see if it helps any but I don't think it will.

Maybe the deal was too good to be true after all

Try a liberal amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in the pack, evenly distributed, then leave it for a few days. It works as a deodorant; not certain if it will be strong enough to get rid of a petrol smell, but it might help. Of course you'll have to be very careful to get all the baking soda off before you wear them.

SAP pobably has absorbed the smell. If you air them out the smell should be reduced substantially, but it will not go away...

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    Try a liberal amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in the pack, evenly distributed, then leave it for a few days. It works as a deodorant; not certain if it will be strong enough to get rid of a petrol smell, but it might help. Of course you'll have to be very careful to get all the baking soda off before you wear them.
    Alright, I put a bunch into the bag. I'll let you know in a few days if it works

don't light a match while wearing them :P

If the baking soda doesn't work, I'd suggest buying a spray bottle of Secret "Powder Fresh" deodorant, as suggested by this thread. Basically, overpower one scent with another. Might work!

The lingering smell suggests the presence of gasoline on the diapers, in trace amounts. Be cautious about putting that next to your skin.

Unfortunately, diapers do readily absorb odors. I once thought I got a great deal on a case only to have them reek of stale cigarette smoke when they arrived. Just the unopened bags were stinking up by closet. I had to throw them all away.

Best of luck deodorizing your Abenas. I think if you put them in a liberal quantity of baby powder for a month or so, they'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Veljie View Post
    don't light a match while wearing them :P
    LOL!
    Murphys law that would happen to me as i have been so bloated, i look like a pregnant dude!
    @Point, despite that though you got a bargain mate!

Put them in a bag with a few chucks of charcoal, do not use self lighting kind. Charcoal is great for absorbing odors.