Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm considering cloth diaper, but I don't have my own washing machine.

Default So I'm considering cloth diaper, but I don't have my own washing machine.

So I'm considering getting a cloth diaper now that I live on my own I can try them out. But I don't know the first thing about them. I want one of them all in one deals something nice and simple. The thing that I'm most worried about is is it possible to wash a cloth diaper using just a sink and elbow grease? How many different type of cloth diapers are available?

I really want to try the adult diapers made by the people that make super undies for kids. You can get them at clothdiaperme.com, but they only go up to a 36" waist. I'm trying to get a hold of a rep to ask some questions, but since it's a small business, they are hard to get a hold of.

I think you really need a washing machine to wash cloth diapers sufficiently. I actually wash mine on two cycles, the first being the long, cotton cycle. I use detergent and let it wash and spin. Then I wash them again on the shorter, permanent press and don't use detergent. This assures me that the detergent is completely washed and rinsed out. It also takes a long time in the dryer to get them dry. AIOs would take even longer.

Why are you so worried about washing the detergent out? Just dry them. Remember what they are for.

If you leave detergent in them it will irritate your skin and cause a nasty nappy rash.

I don't think washing them in a sink would be possible but if you're prepared to do the elbow-work, rinsing them in a full bathtub might be adequate.

I wore cloth diapers all the time, and not too long ago. They performed better than any disposable available then. And along came Molicare, and Abena, and Dry 24/7...

I spent a lot of time washing and drying. And my machines took a beating. When I lived in a more urban area, however, I contracted with a diaper/laundry service to wash my diapers form me. I'd leave the wet diapers in buckets they provided; they'd pick them up once a week, and drop off a large package of clean diapers within days. I doubt this would be practical or even possible on a small, infrequent, scale. It's an option worth mentioning, though.

Back to the old days with those dry racks and tubs. Aww yeah, I dont think not having a washer is a problem, because you could just wash the stuff out and wash with all other laundry at a laundromat if that would work. But I dont know if that would work or not, so do not go by my advice.

I hand wash my AIO's everyday and air dry them. Don't have any problems.

I used to wash everything in the bathtub. Now I have one of those snazzy front load high efficiency washers and smile every time I throw a load of diapers in there on the "BABYWEAR" cycle.

Default Re: So I'm considering cloth diaper, but I don't have my own washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    If you leave detergent in them it will irritate your skin and cause a nasty nappy rash.

I don't think washing them in a sink would be possible but if you're prepared to do the elbow-work, rinsing them in a full bathtub might be adequate.
    You could also use an old fashion washboard lol.