Thread: Anyone Else Love Horticulture or Landscapes?

Default Anyone Else Love Horticulture or Landscapes?

I'm a professional landscape designer and horticulturist, and would love to talk to others interested in this. So how about it? I'll start by asking, what is your favorite plant, or landscape?

The Minnesota state plant, the Lady Slipper is my favorite flower or a rose. They are just pretty enough for me, I think their are two more flowers I like, but have no idea their names, since I am not a flower enthusiast. I do have a favorite tree, but it is a specific tree of which I do not know the name, although I like weeping willows because I used to have one in my backyard.

Hmmm...I studied horticulture at college (in one of my many attempts at finding a 'calling') and, over the years, have made various attempts at 'gardening'/'landscaping'. My now ex-husband worked for a landscaping company (still does, actually) and we did a couple of jobs "on the side" for people.
    I'm one of those people who likes a well-ordered garden/ I prefer a more 'formal' style. Something with walkways, and orderly beds and such.
    Some of my favourite plants/trees:

Monarda - Bee Balm Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-BeeBalm.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	16231 - is unusual and attractive. I prefer the bright/deep red cultivars, but any will attract butterflies to your garden.

Solanum lycopersicum - common tomato plant Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Tomato_flower_and_young_fruit.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	16229- may be unusual for a flower garden, but the small yellow or white blossoms are extremely attractive to hummingbirds! In fact, I have witnessed first hand a hummingbird actually perching on the wire of the tomato-cage whilst enjoying a nectar feast! doesn't matter which...all roses are beautiful. Climbing roses, old-fashioned roses Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosa_rugosa_hansa_landscape_2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	16233 , wild roses, tea roses, and the multitude of hybrids are all stunning in their own way! The old-fashioned 'bush' roses tho' are the best for their beautiful scent...unlike newer hybrids which look lovely but smell like...well..nothing!

Malus Hopa - Flowering Crabapple Click image for larger version. 

Name:	290px-Flowering_crabapple_in_Washington_DC.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	16230 - so beautiful in the spring, like graceful ladies in beautiful pink ball gowns (okay, ya got me...any apple tree in blossom is gorgeous)

Acer platanoides 'Schwedleri' - Norway Maple (with dark red/purple leaves) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1733f3a.jpg 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	16232 - beautiful shade tree with awesomely different leaf colouration.

Thymus citriodorus - Lemon Thyme - my favourite 'ground cover' of all time. It spreads well, and smells wonderful when you step on it. I used to use it between the stones in walk-ways. Love the lemony smell!

Sempervivum globiferum - Hen & Chicks - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240px-Loch_4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	16228 has to be my all-time favourite succulent. Great as a houseplant or in a rock-garden. This plant has the most amazing blooms Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c6a1b1780ef21dda_6202-w252-h252-b0-p0---.jpg 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	16234, and is almost impossible to kill. LOL

Thanks, Naleas and Ayana! I love bee balm as well. A cool trick to get a longer bloom time is to cut half of them down halfway before they bloom. The ones that aren't cut will bloom and die back just in time for the ones that were cut to catch up and start blooming!

You ask what is my favourite plant / landscape?

My favourite plant this year must be Black Adder 'Agastache Brittonastrum' Blue Fortune strain. It is a pink/violet colour giant hyssop, it has large spikes of many flowers at the top of a long sturdy stem which makes it easier for bees and butterflys to eat nectar from it's abundant floral nectaries. The Blue Fortune has won a Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit!

My favourite landscape must be wild pond or stately lake and permaculture.

Any large area of still water, suitable for all forms of wildlife. Bees need water to drink and need it to be calm and need rocks and pebbles to land on to drink the water. Bees usualy keep to the same source of water for their whole lives... so if you do create a source of water in your garden make it a clear, calm accessable source for bees and your floura will appreciate it. I want to make a wildlife pond for my garden so that I can encourage bees to pollenate my plants.

Recently I was introduced to permaculture gardening by a vicar in the south. He gave me diagrams of Holzer's methods of gardening and cultivation. Dr Holzer is a renouned farmer from Austria who devised a natural method for cultivation at high altitudes based on the premise that all plants should be grown interspersed and not segregated, there are no pest plants, no vermin, no bad locations, just incapable people who instead of understanding our creation and nature, fight against it, and that the only overpopulation of plants and animals, "weeds" and vermin is only the result of mankinds wrong perception. I have been keeping a small kitchen garden recently but with the terrible weather I have decided that I am goint to grow according to Holzer's methods of gardening and cultivation. It means no weeding and growing all the different plants amongst each other, the small amongst the large.

A must watch documentary on Sepp Holzer's permaculture. The Agro-Rebel.
    The Agro Rebel - YouTube

Although notwithstanding my favourite actual landscape must be that of the Witley Court. I remember visiting the ruins and falling in love with the stately gardens. The South Garden is a flower bed, and back when the court was a functioning stately home the south garden would be restocked with flowers in a diferent pattern every night so that visitors would wake up every day to see a completely new flower bed each morning. The south garden is permanent these days but English Heritage does do a good job of preserving it.

I hope this answers your questions.

i love a pretty mountainous landscape, and i cant help but to love gardening.

Wow, good stuff, Elain! Agastache is a great plant. I know next to nothing about permaculture, which is a shame. It is growing in popularity, but I wonder if it will catch on and last, or go out of style. There are a lot of "sustainable" trends. But like I said, on this issue I'm pretty out of the loop. :P