Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flannel vs. Cotton (Dependeco AIO)

Default Flannel vs. Cotton (Dependeco AIO)

I'll start by saying that while there are a few other cloth threads that are active right now I haven't found the answer to my question in them and I'd rather not bury it in a thread where it might not get the same amount of attention as a new topic.

I am currently interested in getting a cloth diaper which I will primarily wear for comfort as laundering it at my school and house present some challenges. It's possible at school if I'm willing to wash it in the middle of the night where the chance of encountering someone else is extremely low and my sleep schedule permits me to still acquire adequate rest before my classes.

I have checked out the Dependeco site and there are a few cute prints that I'm interested in. However the two winners at the moment are different types of material.

Unfortunately the carebears AIO doesn't have my favorite bears on it so my decision becomes more complicated. (If there was one with Oopsy and Grumpy I'd pick it in a heartbeat.) As a result it will likely come down to a material preference for my first cloth AIO.

The Happy Jungle AIO is Flannel

The Carebears AIO is Cotton

tl;dr
    What are the pros and cons of the two materials?

Flannel is or should be Cotton fabric., Flannel is a style of cotton fabric as is birdseye, twill, gauze they are the style of the fabrics weave.

ive actually had this same question
    but doesnt really stop me as i will love them either way getting my first in on friday CANT WAIT

i will be doing public washing or hand washing depending on how lazy i am as i dont have a car and would require me to bike to the nearest place to do this.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm also wondering how discrete their shipping is so I know if I need to time a delivery to a safe mailbox or if I can ship it to my Uni and pick it up without anyone suspecting anything. I sent them a message through their site inquiring however I'd like to hear from the people who have ordered from them before.

Thanks

like i said i am ordering and if you wait till friday i could tell you
    but i garentee people will respond and have a awnser for you before my package arrives sorta like oleman

Quote Originally Posted by dondl2 View Post
    Flannel is or should be Cotton fabric., Flannel is a style of cotton fabric as is birdseye, twill, gauze they are the style of the fabrics weave.
    But what are the differences between them? for example, gauze is not as durable as birdseye but feels softer, though they both generally absorb about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kwisy View Post
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm also wondering how discrete their shipping is so I know if I need to time a delivery to a safe mailbox or if I can ship it to my Uni and pick it up without anyone suspecting anything. I sent them a message through their site inquiring however I'd like to hear from the people who have ordered from them before.

Thanks

They'll be mailed in a USPS envelope and no mention of what's inside. As far as outer covers on the diapers goes. The flannell ones are softer than the cotton.
    The inside of the diaper is a soft cotton flannel. I've found the drying time is about the same for both styles. I hand wash mine and air dry them. For detergent
    I reccomend Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean. They leave your diapers smell nice and clean. If you put them in a dryer no more than medium heat. For air drying
    time it will depend on what type of heat you have. If it's forced air it could be quicker than radiant heat. I have radiant and takes about 24 hrs. You will need
    plastic pants with them as the outer cover will get damp. Also reccomend her stuffers if you use them alot. They will get more absorbent after about 6 washings.
    I made the mistake yesterday when I wore one of my newest ones and didn't use a stuffer, and had a small leak. It was a heavy pee day yesterday for me. The other thing is as time goes on is which fabric starts fading first. I know when I used to have flannel shirts they would fade sometimes
    quite a bit. Maybe the flannel diapers won't fade as fast as they aren't exposed to daylight most of the time. Also the cotton covers aren't as soft.
    Last edited by oleman72; 21-Feb-2013 at 14:40. Reason: added more material

sadly no still waiting but mail hasnt come yet

edit...

i just got it in the mail COULDNT BE HAPPIER :0

fits perfect

i need to go wash it tho i will be washing it tonight as it says to was them before use its really soft it can be a bit rough on out side but thats me being really picky

i will wet it tommorow and let you know wat i think (i am rather nervous to wet this to see how it stands up to the wetting we will see

EDIT...

shipping is really descret nothing about baby matierals in side
    Last edited by PaSS; 22-Feb-2013 at 22:34.