Thread: Meteorite strikes Russia!

Default Meteorite strikes Russia!

You may or may not know about this, but when do you think was the last time you've heard of a story about a meteorite hitting Earth? Well, you're going to hear this one. Three days ago on Feb. 15th, at approximately 9:20 a.m. YEKT, a meteorite, in the appearance of a series of fireballs, struck the city of Chelyabinsk, shattering glasses and damaging buildings. No deaths have been recorded, but more than 1,000 people are already injured in the blast. Reuters, CNN, Fox News and etc. picked up this story on their local time. Feel free to share your thoughts on this situation.

Meteorite explodes over Russia, more than 1,000 injured | Reuters

Quote Originally Posted by FievelFulgoreAB93 View Post
    You may or may not know about this, but when do you think was the last time you've heard of a story about a meteorite hitting Earth? Well, you're going to hear this one. Three days ago on Feb. 15th, at approximately 9:20 a.m. YEKT, a meteorite, in the appearance of a series of fireballs, struck the city of Chelyabinsk, shattering glasses and damaging buildings. No deaths have been recorded, but more than 1,000 people are already injured in the blast. Reuters, CNN, Fox News and etc. picked up this story on their local time. Feel free to share your thoughts on this situation.

Meteorite explodes over Russia, more than 1,000 injured | Reuters
    One hit here in California last year. Well, it broke up in air and scattered chunks everywhere.

Anyways it's pretty cool that it happened in the country where pretty much everyone uses dashboard cameras. :P

Its actually not all that common for a meteorite to hit earth. Large fireballs are reported multiple times a day around earth, they are just so spread out that it is not that common for an individual to see one. Most of those still do break up in the atmosphere but a handfull still make it to the ground.

What frustrated me about the media...is how long it took them to make a distinction from the meteorite that we were expecting...and how did no-one know of the YEKT approaching?

It was the Shock wave that cause Most of the damage breaking windows and such. Then landed in ice and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    What frustrated me about the media...is how long it took them to make a distinction from the meteorite that we were expecting...and how did no-one know of the YEKT approaching?
    Well I don't know about your media, but all the stuff I read or heard in the UK media contained something along the lines of "scientists are quick to point out this meteorite has no link to the upcoming pass of the asteroid 2012DA14" and as this one came from the north and DA14 came from the south, they were indeed unrelated.

As for why we didn't spot it, the short answer is because it's tiny. If somebody launched a piece of sand at you very fast from the opposite end of a lake at nighttime, when would you see it? Okay so these meteorites are somewhat larger, but small enough and un-reflective enough not to spot them hurtling through space towards us until quite late, if at all.
    While big meteorites credited with causing mass extinctions are cataclysmic, they are also very rare. Due to their size they are also more easily visible so that potentially something could be done. You are probably much more likely to be taken out by something like the one that hit Russia, they are quite regular and large enough to cause substantial damage where they hit, it just happens most of them ditch in the sea or the countryside. Even if they are spotted, by the time the trajectory has been calculated precisely enough to give a sufficiently accurate location it would be too late to evacuate.

But you are much more likely to be killed by a car, so don't worry about the meteorites.

It sure is some crazy stuff, can't believe how it blew out windows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    As for why we didn't spot it, the short answer is because it's tiny. If somebody launched a piece of sand at you very fast from the opposite end of a lake at nighttime, when would you see it? Okay so these meteorites are somewhat larger, but small enough and un-reflective enough not to spot them hurtling through space towards us until quite late, if at all.
    going from memory, it's something that's sizeable enough to be worrying has the reflective quality of a lump of coal.

anyway, i saw mine last summer, during the anticipated meteor shower that i'd written-off as a no-hoper, for me, because of cloud cover. an unexpected turn of events caused me to be outside in the early hours to coincide with the one spot of cloudlessness for the whole of the weekend and that's when i saw it.
    it was akin to that Japanese satellite breakup, a while back: a showery, firey streak, an explosion and then the forward thrust of minerals burning up (same colour and intensity as with a sparkler). i caught glimpse of another burst, further along the same path, but some miles away and only as a flash through the clouds. the approach was from the south.
    there was zero sound with it, though, which made both eerie and thrilling.

a once-in-a-lifetime experience, making up for all the times i'd stood outside, freezing my tits off, trying to photograph shooting stars. naturally, for such an experience, i didn't capture it with a camera, but just being lucky enough to have seen is enough.

there's a documentary about the Russian one on tomorrow night (Sunday), on Channel 4, i think.
    pvr at the ready

When I saw this story, it reminded me of my first trip to my uncle's cabin in the Sequoia National Forest. Occasionally, fighters from Edwards Air Force Base would fly over on training missions, and I just happened to be playing outside when one of them went ultrasonic. Everything seemed to shake as the sonic boom hit, and I ran inside the cabin crying, and (apparently) told my mom that I was never going outside again.

I remember seeing one during one of my son's high school football games. That footage has been shone many times in other media. If you ever see some stock footage of a meteor streaking over a football stadium, that was in Lynchburg, Va., and my wife and I were sitting in the stands watching our son play.