Thread: plastic pants

Default plastic pants

does any one think the days of plastic pants are numbered? as an older AB i grew up in terries and plastic pants. when i am nappied now it is very often disposables with pants over the top.but the pants are for the feel,smell and memorys of old. rather than keeping things dry! Do youngsters still want to be bothered with plastic pants,do they feel that they are still very much the corner stone of AB play?

No I don't think there done. I wear both cloth and dispoables 24/7 so I need my plastic pants with them to keep me dry.

I think the days of plastic pants are numbered, but that number is a very big number.

Currently, most of the diapers that are available for children are disposables with cloth-like covers. Parents who choose cloth diapers generally don't choose to plastic pants as diaper covers. They're using laminated fabrics, or sometimes lanolized wool. ABDLs who come of age fifteen or twenty years from now probably aren't going to be interested in plastic anything. (Sad, I know!)

My generation is another story. (I'm in my 30s.) Most of us have a strong preference for disposables, since that's what most of us were raised in, and that's what we saw on other kids when we were little. But some of us still enjoy plastic pants for the extra protection, or for the prints some of them have, or for the added crinkling noise. And some of us switch to cloth diapers for economic or environmental reasons, and if we do, we're likely to do it in the way we've seen depicted on AB sites.

If plastic-backed disposables go off the mainstream market (likely), and there isn't enough demand to sustain disposable diaper companies that market only to ABDLs (possible), there may be a surge in demand for plastic pants among ABDLs my age. The crinkle is important to a lot of us, and someday plastic pants may be the only way to get it. I don't know this, but my guess is that it's relatively easier to manufacture plastic pants on a small scale than it is to make small numbers of disposables.

I wouldn't worry about adult-sized plastic pants going off the market anytime soon. Rubber pants for adults are still available from more than one vendor, and they haven't been a popular choice for babies since the 1940s.

As long as there is a need or desire for plastic pants, someone will produce them and make a profit. Since we will always have people who are incontinent, I think we will have plastic pants. Cloth is also making an environmental friendly comeback where babies and young mothers are concerned.

As far as ABDL's are concerned I think plastic pants are a very sensible investment as I've had some leaky diapers on several occasions where my plastic pants prevented me from doing some unexpected laundry.

How do the laundering costs of cloth stack up against disposables? I've seen it argued for both sides so I'm wondering if anyone has done any homework on that.

I imagine it's energy and potentially water cost in the home vs frequent visits to a laundromat.

If anything I think the opposite may be true. Disposable diapers were seen by many parents as a cheap and easy solution and, for a time, they were. They became almost ubiquitous for a while, which is probably why the current generation of ABDLs generally prefer them.

However, there's a push for parents to 'go green' when raising their children these days, and that includes approaches to diapering. I've seen signs around where I live advertising diaper laundering services, the brand name chemists have a dedicated section for cloth diapering supplies and so on.

It's almost as cheap and easy to use cloth these days as it is to use disposables, and, if the economy continues the way it is, it may become cheaper as disposables could climb in price. That could lead to many more parents choosing the cloth route in the future.

If that happens then I'd imagine the next generations of ABDLs will be seeking out cloth and plastic pants. It's very likely that if the demand is there then someone will be making and supplying them. I'd therefore imagine they'll be around for many years to come.

Agreed with cgh that its more likely the opposite. There seem to be more companies making them now than 10 years ago in adult sizes at least.

Ihave no problem at all using plastic pants,although I prefer my snap-on diaper covers with leg gussets. They really work well!

To be clear...I don't think that cloth diapers are going to go away. I think the kinds of plastic pants we're familiar with are going to go away, though very slowly. Parents who use cloth diapers now aren't using plastic pants. They're using other diaper covers, mostly PUL and other laminated fabrics.

I imagine that old-fashioned plastic pants will be available for adults for a long time. But the next generation of AB/DLs won't be interested in them. They'll want either disposables or cloth diapers with the waterproof fabric covers.