Thread: Little bit embarrassed - Hello

Smile Little bit embarrassed - Hello

Hello,

I'm Maddy and I've been suffering with incontinence for quite a while now.

I realised I was 'different' when I was at school and when laughing I would lose control of my bladder (and once it started I couldn't/can't stop) and when I stand up after being sat down for a while I will dribble a little bit and quite often I will feel a real desperate need to go to the toilet to the extent that I will need to stop, cross my legs and plee for the strength to hold it in, but usually it will trickle out anyway and will gain momentum as it goes. I try and cross my legs and that will sometimes work... until i uncross them and then its just like its already been let lose and the only thing holding it in is my legs... Its an awful feeling.

I'm 22 at the moment, and I have tried wearing sanitary pads but they feel awful and feel really uncomfortable and don't soak up any more than the minor dribbles. I've been thinking about getting some incontinence pads to help but they really are expensive BUT according to my granddad (who recently had surgery and required incontinence supplies) they are much better than sanitary pads - Does anyone else have this experience?

I have gotten into the habit of carrying around spare knickers and trousers for when I do have issues but then people ask me why I always carry around a fairly big bag but never seem to really have anything in it.

Also, when I 'dribble' in between my legs gets damp and I end up getting a really sore rash. I've tried buying trousers that go quite high up to try and counteract the rubbing of skin but its very uncomfortable and can make me walk a bit oddly when sore. Anyone else have this problem and got any suggestions to help?

I'm lucky to be honest that my workplace allows breaks at any time should you need them because I do go to the loo at least 10 times a day - and to try and stop this so much at work I have stopped drinking at work or in the morning to try prevent 'taking the piss'. (excuse the pun)

Thanks for letting me join everyone

Maddy x

Welcome

I's sorry I dont have any answers for you. But I am sure that there is lots of places to look to get help and suggestions. I do understand about the dribbling issue. I had a Prostate infection for three years. All the DR. would do is check me for diabetes and tell me that I was imagining the feeling of dripping.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyvirrgo View Post
    Hello,

I'm Maddy and I've been suffering with incontinence for quite a while now.

I realised I was 'different' when I was at school and when laughing I would lose control of my bladder (and once it started I couldn't/can't stop) and when I stand up after being sat down for a while I will dribble a little bit and quite often I will feel a real desperate need to go to the toilet to the extent that I will need to stop, cross my legs and plee for the strength to hold it in, but usually it will trickle out anyway and will gain momentum as it goes. I try and cross my legs and that will sometimes work... until i uncross them and then its just like its already been let lose and the only thing holding it in is my legs... Its an awful feeling.

I'm 22 at the moment, and I have tried wearing sanitary pads but they feel awful and feel really uncomfortable and don't soak up any more than the minor dribbles. I've been thinking about getting some incontinence pads to help but they really are expensive BUT according to my granddad (who recently had surgery and required incontinence supplies) they are much better than sanitary pads - Does anyone else have this experience?

I have gotten into the habit of carrying around spare knickers and trousers for when I do have issues but then people ask me why I always carry around a fairly big bag but never seem to really have anything in it.

Also, when I 'dribble' in between my legs gets damp and I end up getting a really sore rash. I've tried buying trousers that go quite high up to try and counteract the rubbing of skin but its very uncomfortable and can make me walk a bit oddly when sore. Anyone else have this problem and got any suggestions to help?

I'm lucky to be honest that my workplace allows breaks at any time should you need them because I do go to the loo at least 10 times a day - and to try and stop this so much at work I have stopped drinking at work or in the morning to try prevent 'taking the piss'. (excuse the pun)

Thanks for letting me join everyone

Maddy x
    Hey there Maddy. I'm sorry that you've had to struggle with this sort of thing, but it's good that you seem not hopeless about the situation or anything. In my experience the incontinence pad's are much better, but my experience with this is entirely second-hand, never first-hand myself so I can only say so from what I've heard. I wish I could help you more in that regard.

Otherwise, it's really exciting to welcome you to ADISC, and I hope you find the support here and perhaps some friends too! What sort of things do you like, how do you spend your free time? What sort of work are you in? Of course, only share what you feel comfortable sharing.. but it would be wonderful to get to know you!

Hugs for Maddy!

Have you seen a doctor about this? It sounds like a dumb question, but it took me a long time for me see a urologist and have tests. I've been urge incontinent my whole life (with too many accidents to remember). After seeing a doctor and looking into other solutions first, your best bet is to wear a "real" diaper, not a pad, belted undergarment or pull-up. It's the only thing that will give you the confidence to do things without being chained to a toilet (trust me on this one). There are a small percentage of folks on this site that are truly incontinent, but everyone who wears diapers can offer you advice on the best ones to wear for any given situation (that's pretty much all of us). Best of luck Maddy and welcome to ADISC.

Maddy,

Get yourself some good incontinence pads. They will truly make a big difference. They will help keep urine away from your skin, reducing the chafing, etc. They will also give you confidence, not having to worry about every little leak.

As others have said, though, get yourself to a doctor, too. It's important to find out just what's going on, as incontinence can be a symptom of a larger health problem. Welcome to the website! Check out the Incontinence section on the forum for more. Wishing you the very best!

BachBrahms