Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG has anyone seen "Mr. Young"?! What an over-the-top attempt at making fun of ABDL!

Default OMG has anyone seen "Mr. Young"?! What an over-the-top attempt at making fun of ABDL!

So today being my birthday my mother took me to her apartment - I have actually been constantly sick since Christmas so I haven't been there since before I went with my father to his home for the holidays (my parents separated permanently when I was a teen, although they will never go through the hassle of a divorce). The TV programs were full of crap today which is unusual, but then again I'm usually there Thursdays, not Saturdays. We quite accidentally came across a program, called Mr. Young, that featured an adult baby out with his Mommy. He'd had his bottle and she was burping him, and in that process he suddenly spewed out a massive amount of milk that I would hesitate to think came from just one bottle. I was like "OH MY GOD THIS IS SO OVER-THE-TOP!" and seeing that show kind of made me briefly discuss with my mother the "reality" of being abdl. I told her that when it comes down to it, you're only going to truly understand the concept, and see abdlism for what it truly is, if you're a member of the abdl community. Outsiders usually just can't stomach the idea and would normally be happy to laugh at a show like Mr. Young, and wouldn't even WANT to understand the truth....although there obviously are exceptions. But when I saw Mr. Young, he truly struck me as someone who belonged in a mental health ward because the abdlism was portrayed EXACTLY like that, to give outsiders that idea. In real life that's not the way we are. Others may think of us as having issues that we should go to a shrink for, but a lot of us use abdlism as an escape from our stressful adult lives. For us, a lot of the time "conventional" stress relief isn't effective. When I rediscovered pacis, I immediately felt "this is what is going to work, this is what I was denied and that's why de-stressing was so difficult for me in the past!" In toddlerhood it is said I gave up the paci "for good" when I had a cold. But I will be buying more soon, because before I got sick at Christmas I LOVED my Baby Bop paci!

But really, has anyone seen this ridiculous ABDL show on TV? If you have, do you agree it is over-the-top and a completely unfair portrayal of abdlism?

Cherub

I've not seen the show, nor have I ever heard of it till now. But I agree with you in that true Infantilsim will likely never be fully understood by outsiders.

I think a bit more spacing could help your OP because right now it's a bit cluttered and hard to read.

I have not seen the show however I'm relatively surprised that it would air on TV. I can't imagine that something like that could gather a large audience unless there is some comical aspect that I haven't seen yet. ABDL is certainly getting more attention in the media though, from some of the shows like My Strange Addiction and 1000 Ways to Die to the article that was recently published in South Africa.

TheSpecterPrincess

I looked the show up.

Mr. Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like a kids show to be honest. One citation even said it even aired on Disney-XD. I honestly wouldn't look too deep into it. Seems more like juvenile, adolescent humor. Comedy shows referencing AB/DL doesn't really bother me. Sure it's making fun of us, but in a comedy show everything is a target. When I saw the "What's the time ? Diaper time" bit on Always Sunny, I laughed my ass off. Honestly if anything the people who wrote it must have some knowledge or affiliation with our fetish themselves, otherwise they would've never thought to build material off of that subject.

Countdown

most people are going to view both "moderate AB/DLism" and "extreme AB/DLism" as mental disorders... it won't matter if you wear diapers once a week or 24/7/365... it will still elicit that "WTF?" reaction...

the difference is that the moderate AB/DLs will elicit only the "WTF?" reaction, while the extreme AB/DLs will elicit the "hahahaha WTF?" reaction... it's a matter of humor...

I've seen ge show in brief segments (I have a 12 yr old sister) I have not seen that episode. I can assure you it is not an"AB/DL" show. It was a one time skit. The show is actually more along the lines of Doogey Howsier. A teen who is a high school teacher.

This reminds me of the Nickelodeon show, You Can't Do That on Television. They had a reoccurring segment with a boy who often appeared in a diaper. It certainly caught my attention. The bigger problem is that AB/Dls will never be shown in an appealing light. I would think the same thing would be true for any fetish. Like you said, you have to be one to understand one. Short of that, we look weird.

The stupid show was apparently on all day.....marathon type thing. But yeah that particular scene we stumbled across gave me that knee-jerk reaction of being completely offended rather than wanting to laugh. Looking back, the milk thing could easily be seen as funny but that's not how I initially saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by memorychick View Post
    The stupid show was apparently on all day.....marathon type thing. But yeah that particular scene we stumbled across gave me that knee-jerk reaction of being completely offended rather than wanting to laugh. Looking back, the milk thing could easily be seen as funny but that's not how I initially saw it.
    I think the more we can look on these things with a sense of humor about ourselves, the less stress we'll have. Many things humans do for enjoyment or fulfillment can look ridiculous if one is not involved or lacks context. The whole ABDL thing is ripe for humor regardless of how we may feel about it personally.

tl/dr: "Lighten up, Francis!"

I'm really sorry it bothered you! I would give you a hug if I could, you seem like you need one.

I do think it's sad that much of humor today is focused on making light of everyone, but still.. try to not let yourself become so angered.. because you deserve to be happy! Remember that as unfortunate as it is, everyone is going to be made fun of. The writers of the show don't have a personal issue with you over other people, they probably just thought it would be hilarious to their target demographic and I think that unfortunately, they are right.

If it really bothers you to be laughed at, the best way you can show them that you are not someone to laugh at is to remain mature, reasonable, and show them the awesome person you really are. If you get a chance to talk to someone who doesn't understand about being a AB or DL in a non-judgmental environment.. then you have taught one other person about it. With all the sort of strange things out there, not just this type of thing, that's the most you should be shooting for. Teaching one person at a time, not stressing yourself out about the legions of others.

Still, that sort of thing is a bit frustrating sometimes, isn't it? Still.. I can understand why we would seem a bit silly to other people. ^_^