Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the coolest pen / physical writing instrument you own or have owned?

Default What's the coolest pen / physical writing instrument you own or have owned?

The title should say it all.

What inspired me to ask this question is, as I'm about to do some haphazard review for a course, is if there would be a pen or writing instrument that would actually make me happy/excite me to write.

I personally don't have one yet, but if I did have one that's pretty cool, I'd want some pictures to truly capture its awesomeness.

Default Re: What's the coolest pen / physical writing instrument you own or have owned?

I have a pen i got for working for 2 years, it is heavy, but well balanced and writes exceptionally well.

I've got a Fisher Space Pen that I obtained from Kennedy Space Center during my last visit.... Its the same one NASA uses on their space missions. It's ink cartridge is nitrogen pressurized and can write in zero gravity, upside down, and even underwater! It was quite expensive though..... and the cartridge refills are $5
    File:AG-7 Space Pen.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Pen is Enormous. The biggest I have is an OMAS 360 (large triangular fountain pen). I've got lots of demonstrators (clear pens) that are pretty cool, etc...

Default Re: What's the coolest pen / physical writing instrument you own or have owned?

Quote Originally Posted by NyanFloyd View Post
    I've got a Fisher Space Pen that I obtained from Kennedy Space Center during my last visit.... Its the same one NASA uses on their space missions. It's ink cartridge is nitrogen pressurized and can write in zero gravity, upside down, and even underwater! It was quite expensive though..... and the cartridge refills are $5
    File:AG-7 Space Pen.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NASA spent millions designing a pen that worked in space.the Russians just used a pencil!

Anyway on topic my fountain pen is my coolest pen

When I was a kid in school, fountain pens were the rage. They used to make pens that had plastic ink cartridges that would go into the pen. When they ran dry, you would unscrew the pen, discard the old cartridge and put in a new one. You could buy them with different colored inks, but I haven't seen them in stores in years.

There is a whole industry based around very expensive fountain pens. Executives often receive them for special events, recognitions, and promotions, etc. They can become a status symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I was a kid in school, fountain pens were the rage. They used to make pens that had plastic ink cartridges that would go into the pen. When they ran dry, you would unscrew the pen, discard the old cartridge and put in a new one. You could buy them with different colored inks, but I haven't seen them in stores in years.

There is a whole industry based around very expensive fountain pens. Executives often receive them for special events, recognitions, and promotions, etc. They can become a status symbol.
    I remember the ink bottles that that had an inkwell in the top so you could dip your pen in the ink and do your writing. The inkwell in bottle also helped when filling
    your fountain pen that had a bladder in it. The W A Sheaffer Pen Co made all kinds of pens and mech pencils. They could be bought indvidually or sets. Those you
    ccould carry in your shirt pocket or they were expensive desk sets. That's when you really needed a pocket protecter as they could leak and mess up a shirt. But
    along came the papermate or Parker T Ball that put the end to fountain pens.