Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique Wellness Review

Default Unique Wellness Review

There is a lot of hype about the Unique Wellness Brief. They are advertised as ďNASA DiapersĒ or ďBased on NASA TechnologyĒ. So one day I checked out their website, created an account, and checked to see what the total cost would be with shipping. Several days later I received a sample of the Unique Wellness large size in the mail. Iíve always wanted to try these to see if they live up to the hype, and now I had my chance. I liked the samples enough that I bought a 20 pack of large. Iíve tried a lot of the premium adult diapers, and a lot of them already have reviews on ADISC. And since there is not really a review of them here, I figured Iíd give one.

A bit about my use of diapers: I wear diapers only to bed at night, I am mostly a side sleeper, but sometimes sleep on my back. I usually wear anywhere from six to twelve hours at a time. I do use baby powder and no matter what diaper I use, I always wear plastic pants as a backup. I do not have sensitive skin, so rashes have not been a problem. Now on to the review.

Appearance and Construction

These diapers are not very thickÖ.they are thinner than Abena X-Plus and Molicare super. The large size is green in color, and the mediums are blue. They have elastic at the legs, none at the waist. They are plastic backed, and the plastic backing appears to be somewhat thin, but holds up very well. There is a wetness indicator running through the center of the outer backing, and it turns a blue color when itís time to change. There are standing barriers at the legs. The standing barriers are a bit shorter than some of the others Iíve used, but they do pretty well. Since I donít usually walk around in them, I canít really comment on how much noise they make.

Fit and Comfort

The website says that the small/medium fits 26 to 36 inch waist, and the large fits 36 to 46 inch waist. I have about a 40 inch waist so I went with the large. These tend to run a bit big in my opinion. There is a lot of wing to tuck under the back, and the diaper gapped a little bit at the back of the legs. There are specific instructions that the lower tapes need to be angled upwards, and the upper tapes need to be angled downward. Since I put these on myself, I may not be getting the tapes done quite right. I like my diapers snug, and it is difficult for me to get these as snug as I like. But they worked fine for me despite the fit issues. I ordered a sample of the mediums just to see if the fit would be better. The mediums were quite a bit snugger, but I still had the gapping issue at the back of the legs. The tapes on the mediums reached up to the front, but without much to spare. I think if you fall into the upper part or the size range for either the medium or large then they will work fine. I find that these are quite comfortable to wear. Even the snugness of the mediums was not uncomfortable. I can sit down in them just fine, and can hardly feel they are there even with my tossing and turning.

There are two tapes on each side. The Unique Wellness uses the typical two tape system of premium diapers. There is a white tape on top of a blue tape. This is supposed to allow you to re-tape if needed. I have found that most two tape systems do not work well for re-fastening, and this diaper is no exception. Once you have removed the white tape, it does not stick very well to either the blue tape or the plastic backing But the blue tape that sticks to the plastic backing does a good job. I was concerned that the apparent thinness of the backing would be a problem, but even with pulling the tapes hard to try to get a snug fit, Iíve not had one break, nor has it ripped the plastic backing while in use. The real issue Iíve had with the tapes is that the white tape tends to slide off of the blue tape. This has happened on four of the five diapers Iíve used from the pack. The samples did not do this. Once the white tape gets past the blue tape it will stick to the plastic backing sometimes, but this of course results in a loose fit. Several times the tape has become useless after sliding off, requiring an early change. When the tape system works right though, it really works. Iíve never had the blue tape pop off, only the white one.

Absorbency and Containment

These are probably the most absorbent adult diapers Iíve ever used. They will take about three full bladders before I even start to feel wet. They absorb pretty quickly, and I donít have the Ďrunning liquidí feeling. They do not wick very well, however. They are supposed to hold over 80 ounces of liquid, and Iím sure they are capable of doing that. But in real world use, they will probably not come close to that. The front of the diaper will be saturated, while the back will be almost bone dry. But they do the job just fine for me. I can go all night without worrying about leaking. As far as messes go, Iíve only tried this once, and the standing barriers and leg elastic did a great job. There was a bit of mess leaking where the diaper was gapping, but it was minor, and probably no fault of the diaper, just the way they fit me. After a while the padding does tend to clump toward the middle of the crotch, but itís not as bad as some diapers Iíve used. I did notice that the front of the diaper gets a little moist, but this may be because I use plastic pants. I saw something somewhere that said things like that may happen when using plastic pants, and the manufacturer does not recommend using them. I do anyway because I like to have a back-up just in case.

Cost and Conclusion

Overall, this is a very good diaper. Most of the issues I have are probably due to the way they fit me, and I donít think this is the fault of the diaper. The tape system is my only real complaint, and I will probably send a quick email to customer service about this. I may have had a bad batch or something. As far as performance goes, they are at least as good as Abena or Molicare. I will likely purchase these again as these beat even my previous favorite. They are a bit pricey though. At regular price for a bag of 20, including shipping, they come to about $2 each. Cases have free shipping, there are discount codes, and Iíve seen them on sale for about $7 less than regular price. I got them on sale for about $1.70 each. The cost is worth it though. I suggest getting samples of both medium and large so you can find out which one fits best. The samples come two to a pack, are free, but there is a $1.99 shipping charge.

If you need good protection at night, then these are worth a try. Next to cloth, these are the best diaper Iíve used. If I get a new package and the tapes are better, then these will be my new go to disposable.

Pretty well written review! Thank you for the insights! I've ordered sample packs from them before and still have some wellness briefs left over (in both sizes).

I had bought a case last year and like them a lot. Except the first time you pull the tape off to put them on they are very loud. It's a dead give away for what i am doing. Did you find them loud also?

Default Sv: Unique Wellness Review

Nice review of the diaper.

I was impressed with these as a less than top tier diaper. I think they nicely bridge the gap between the bottom rung products and the highest end ones. While I'm not generally a fan of the double tape system for repositioning, theirs seems to work a bit better than Molicare or Abena. I'm still working my way through my first package but I'll probably spring for a case when those run low.

Thankyou for the review! I was thinking of buying Unique Wellness diapers. Being a bedwetter I have to rely on Bambino or Dry 24/7 diapers. I have used Abena and Molicare super plus diapers which did leak a little bit. But I will give Unique Wellness diapers a try. I will use GoodNites Bed Mats when I try the Unique Wellness diapers just in case if it leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    Thankyou for the review! I was thinking of buying Unique Wellness diapers. Being a bedwetter I have to rely on Bambino or Dry 24/7 diapers. I have used Abena and Molicare super plus diapers which did leak a little bit. But I will give Unique Wellness diapers a try. I will use GoodNites Bed Mats when I try the Unique Wellness diapers just in case if it leaks.
    Let us know what you think when you have try it

Great review, I will be making the switch to Wellness Briefs as soon as I get through some of the cartons of Moilcares I bought in bulk.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and the rep requests. I sort of though I was a little negative with my comments, but these diapers really are great for me. I would really be interested in everyone else's comments after they have tried them. This really is my first review, and I want to make sure I've portrayed these well. I do like these diapers in spite of some of the negatives I expressed. I'm actually trying to make some of my homemade cloth diapers faster because I like the Wellness so much that I'm using them faster than I should.

Everyone please PM me about your experiences with these in light of my review. I don't want to start posting reviews and have people have a totally different experience from what I have had. That just makes my comments less reliable.

Thanks again all...glad I can contribute meaningfully.