Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And we think we've got problems!

Default And we think we've got problems!

Fascinating article about bodybuilders who are completely incapable of confronting their latent homosexuality.

Vice Magazine 'body building forums are full of latent homoeroticism?'

I didn't realize it was news to pull forum comments up and make snarky comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
    I didn't realize it was news to pull forum comments up and make snarky comments.
    Agreed, this is a shameful excuse for "journalism".

It's vice magazine. It isn't a major publication so I wouldn't expect you to know it if you weren't in the UK and weren't going to certain venues where they distribute it (it's kind of part of the 'trendy' music scene, if you will). In any case, it isn't news. It's a kind of left-of-centre cultural magazine for-want-of-a-better-word; I don't think you can call it a 'shameful excuse for "journalism"' as such.

I'm not sure I get what there is to criticise. I don't think it's trying to be representative of everyone who bodybuilds or even that particular forum; the comments made by the posters in question speak for themselves. Beyond that, it's one person's opinion. It doesn't purport to be 'the truth'.

It's an author taking comments that were made by regular people said on a forum to their peers, and putting them into an article that thousands of people will read, who have self-selected to be people who tend to agree with the author. He takes the comments out of context and deliberately misinterprets them on a place where the victims cannot fight back. He's a bully who hides behind being liberal/trendy.

And that's the problem I have with it; if I criticize it on a serious level and say it's a lazy argument because it just picks on a few people who aren't even trying to be public, he can say "It was just silly trendy entertainment!"

If I criticize it by saying "It's not funny or entertaining at all when you pick on people who can't fight back, it's actually very mean," he can say "But homophobia is a serious problem."

I don't think it has either journalistic or entertainment merit, and because of the nature of the article and the subject matter, I think he's trying to exist somewhere in between the two. Probably because he couldn't achieve either on its own.

He doesn't scramble the screen names, either, so what these private individuals intended to say to maybe tens or hundreds of people is now attributable to them by thousands of people. I'd call it shameful, too, if I thought the author had any capacity for shame.

Gaston, why is homophobia a serious problem? I don't see why we should get into everyone's lives that much. If two men love each other then let them. People can be friends with gays and not actually be gay as well, as long as they don't try to force it on people then they shouldn't have a problem. It's just stupid in general to worry about such nonsense compared to drug abuse for example, now THAT is a problem since people actually die from it.

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    Gaston, why is homophobia a serious problem? I don't see why we should get into everyone's lives that much. If two men love each other then let them. People can be friends with gays and not actually be gay as well, as long as they don't try to force it on people then they shouldn't have a problem. It's just stupid in general to worry about such nonsense compared to drug abuse for example, now THAT is a problem since people actually die from it.
    I'm certain you've misread my post, as none of that had anything to do with what I said.

I'm certain you've misread my post, as none of that had anything to do with what I said.
    If I criticize it by saying "It's not funny or entertaining at all when you pick on people who can't fight back, it's actually very mean," he can say "But homophobia is a serious problem."

It was in response to that. I'm asking you why would homophobia be a serious problem? Even if you're not the one saying it someone would be in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post

It was in response to that. I'm asking you why would homophobia be a serious problem? Even if you're not the one saying it someone would be in that situation.
    Are you confusing homophobia with homosexuality? Homophobia is a general term for negative attitudes towards homosexuality. Homophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you confusing homophobia with homosexuality? Homophobia is a general term for negative attitudes towards homosexuality. Homophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So then what would what I was thinking of be called in which people don't like two men having a relationship so they start hating on them? If it's not Homophobia, and homosexuality seems to just be the attraction, what would the hate because of such an attraction be?