Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushies vs. blankies: Maybe not the same

Default Plushies vs. blankies: Maybe not the same

No, this isn't a thread asking people whether they like plushies or blankies better.

On TBN I used to post a bunch of completely random AB thoughts that I had to see what people thought. For whatever reason, I thought about this again today and was curious to hear what people here will have to say.

For me, I had always grouped plushies and blankies together, and thought that their purpose and use was almost synonymous to me. They're both things that are soft and cuddly that kids get comfort from. Most of us (at least for those of us in Western cultures) had at least one of the two when we were young kids and they were special to us.

I had just assumed that which of the two someone had as a kid was irrelevant, that they served the same purpose, and some people were more fond of plushies, while others more fond of blankets, and that there was no real reason for a preference of one over the other. For example, I was more of a stuffed animal kid, while my brother had a blanket that he was attached to. But as I started to think about it, I started thinking that the two things actually seem to serve different needs/purposes.

Now, this may just be based on my own experience, and I'm sure that it's not the case for everyone. But it seems to me that security blankets are more comfort/security, while plushies are more for protection/loneliness. Now, the lines are kind of blurry on all of this, but hear me out.

When I think of kids, it usually seems that security blankets are things that they tend to carry around more, while plushies are more for sleeping at night. I'm not saying that there aren't kids who carry around plushies during the day and that there aren't kids who like to sleep with their blankies for comfort, but it seems like there?s more of them the other way around.

Security blankets seem to help kids out during the day. Kids get nervous in new situations, and they don't feel mentally secure or safe. They may even have some form of anxiety, especially if they're away from parents. It's like it's just a soft object that gives them reassurance and reminds them of things that they're comfortable with, like home. It's like they're attached to the object by connection.

With plushies, it seems to be more of something that offer kids a way from being lonely. Kids seem more likely to sleep with plushies because they?re afraid of being alone in the dark, away from parents. Plushies almost offer more physical protection in kids' minds...monsters don't seem quite so scary when someone else is there...like a plushie friend to keep you company. Besides, even adults sleep with blankets...not security ones, but just normal ones for warmth. It doesn't seem like a blankie offers the same kind of comfort in a sleeping situation...it's not a friend who can offer company and protection.

I mean, plushies represent actual animals, which can be easily substituted as an actual friend or companion with its own mind (especially if kids already have pets and see how active and friendly they can be). So it seems like they actually represent an actual being that can be a friend...something to offer protection and fight loneliness. I mean, I'm sure some kids give their blankies personas and act like it?s a real friend, but it seems plushies fit this mould a lot more.

So generally, it seems to me that a kid is more likely to carry around a security blanket during the day to deal with stresses and new situations because it reminds them of things they're familiar with, whereas plushies seem to offer companionship that offers company in lonely or scary situations, like sleeping at night in the dark.

So, both things do offer a form of attachment and comfort, but it seems like they aren't necessarily exactly the same. Now again, I'm generalizing on all of this, so don't think I'm trying to set anything in stone. But these were just things that popped up in my mind. Anyone care to share their own experiences or thoughts on this?

(By the way, if you think is the silliest over-analyzation of a simple AB thing, you haven't seen anything yet )

I don't have that much of an oppintion on the subject but it is a very interesting argument.

I've never had a blankie as far as I can remember, but I would quite like to get a nice soft blanket I can cuddle one day. I've never really seen much of a connection between blankets and plushies though - plushies are all about having a personality, and being a friend without all the hassle of people. I suppose, though, some people might not want that and a blankie could serve the same purpose but in a different way.

Wait... did I just follow your chain of reasoning, but backwards?

Humphrey Sez: Both are soft and huggable, so it doesn't really matter!! Except plushies have persomalities, and blankies don't!!

But blankies and plushies together is the bestest! Nighttime hugglesnugs under a cozy blanket is the best way to keep the boogeyman away!!

I think I have to agree with you. I never had plushies as a child, but always had a blankie handy.

You can wrap yourself in a blankie, hide under it, let it provide warmth, etc. Even as a teenager I always had a blanket wrapped around me.

Quote Originally Posted by tokie View Post
    I think I have to agree with you. I never had plushies as a child, but always had a blankie handy.

You can wrap yourself in a blankie, hide under it, let it provide warmth, etc. Even as a teenager I always had a blanket wrapped around me.
    That was true of me also, except my original blankie had *disappeared* by my teen years. I don't recall ever having a special plushie I would sleep or play with. I do remember enjoying snuggling up underneath my baby blanket, even when I was getting too big for it to cover me completely unless I balled myself up under it.

This thread brings back fond memories of coming home from elementary school, taking off my school clothes, covering up with my blankie, and taking a nap on the couch.

~Pramrider

Don't mean to shift this topic, but... I kinda think this picture is strangely appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraiden View Post
    Humphrey Sez: Both are soft and huggable, so it doesn't really matter!! Except plushies have persomalities, and blankies don't!!

But blankies and plushies together is the bestest! Nighttime hugglesnugs under a cozy blanket is the best way to keep the boogeyman away!!
    I agree!

To Kraiden:
    You say blankets don't have personalities, and plushies do.... Well... time to tell MY story, I guess.

I never had a stuffed animal... well, Ok, I had a bear when I was a baby, with a music box built into it, But that was it, when I grew up it went into storage, don't remember much about it.

I did however have a blankie. It's name was Sleepa. I took it everywhere, It got so roughed up and broken down that a small section ripped off, and I named it Ragtime. I took them both everywhere until 1 day they went missing (Got put in my baby book) I never got over the whole security blanket thing, I take a blanket around with me just about everywhere around the house, but not outside, usually...

Blankets have plenty of character, especially if you take them along with you, Mine has battle scars and bloodstains, Patches, all sorts of things...

As for the plushie thing, I solved my loneliness issue by sleeping curled up next to my cell phone ,and calling someone before bed every night...

Quote Originally Posted by C_C_C_Otter View Post
    To Kraiden:
    You say blankets don't have personalities, and plushies do.... Well... time to tell MY story, I guess.

I never had a stuffed animal... well, Ok, I had a bear when I was a baby, with a music box built into it, But that was it, when I grew up it went into storage, don't remember much about it.

I did however have a blankie. It's name was Sleepa. I took it everywhere, It got so roughed up and broken down that a small section ripped off, and I named it Ragtime. I took them both everywhere until 1 day they went missing (Got put in my baby book) I never got over the whole security blanket thing, I take a blanket around with me just about everywhere around the house, but not outside, usually...

Blankets have plenty of character, especially if you take them along with you, Mine has battle scars and bloodstains, Patches, all sorts of things...

As for the plushie thing, I solved my loneliness issue by sleeping curled up next to my cell phone ,and calling someone before bed every night...
    Character is one thing, but I don't see a lot of children projecting a personality onto their blankets. *shrug*