Thread: My uncle says he hates AB "syndrome" but won't stop bringing it up!

Default My uncle says he hates AB "syndrome" but won't stop bringing it up!

OK so, the reason I am putting this in the mature topics category is because it's not really about ABism. It's about being on the autism spectrum.

I was out with my worker today but not for long. I'm supposed to have her for 3 hrs 3x a week (Mon 10am-1pm, Wed 12pm-3pm, Fri 12pm-3pm), and today after I had finished my pork chops and rice, and picked up after myself, I went to sit on the couch (the worker was outside smoking) and I just started to ROCK for some reason. This is not and has never been a common thing for me to do, as I am high-functioning and also have Asperger syndrome. Usually I think it's the lower functioning autistics that do it. Also sometimes due to being on the spectrum if I get stressed out I may literally lose my ability to verbalize for a short time, and it can be very frustrating. But this rocking incident just has me weirded out. It continued until my worker returned, and then she asked me if I wanted to perhaps go home and sleep, which I said yes to...I was tired. I've just started my third course of antibiotics in a period of 1 1/2 - 2 months which is insane, and they may be what is making me so tired.

But my uncle, when on Facebook I said "What would you say if I told you that today I engaged in the stereotypical autistic behaviour of rocking even though I'm high-functioning?" his reply was "could have just been your ABS" ABS standing for Adult Baby "Syndrome." He says he hates talking about it, so why does he keep bringing it up, especially in situations that I know are completely unrelated?

Default Re: My uncle says he hates AB "syndrome" but won't stop bringing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by memorychick View Post
    OK so, the reason I am putting this in the mature topics category is because it's not really about ABism. It's about being on the autism spectrum.

I was out with my worker today but not for long. I'm supposed to have her for 3 hrs 3x a week (Mon 10am-1pm, Wed 12pm-3pm, Fri 12pm-3pm), and today after I had finished my pork chops and rice, and picked up after myself, I went to sit on the couch (the worker was outside smoking) and I just started to ROCK for some reason. This is not and has never been a common thing for me to do, as I am high-functioning and also have Asperger syndrome. Usually I think it's the lower functioning autistics that do it. Also sometimes due to being on the spectrum if I get stressed out I may literally lose my ability to verbalize for a short time, and it can be very frustrating. But this rocking incident just has me weirded out. It continued until my worker returned, and then she asked me if I wanted to perhaps go home and sleep, which I said yes to...I was tired. I've just started my third course of antibiotics in a period of 1 1/2 - 2 months which is insane, and they may be what is making me so tired.

But my uncle, when on Facebook I said "What would you say if I told you that today I engaged in the stereotypical autistic behaviour of rocking even though I'm high-functioning?" his reply was "could have just been your ABS" ABS standing for Adult Baby "Syndrome." He says he hates talking about it, so why does he keep bringing it up, especially in situations that I know are completely unrelated?
    Maybe he is not understanding of both autism and abdl. Not everyone knows the causes, symptoms, and behaviors of autism. He may have thrown you a light insult as well.

I have a cousin who has CDLS (Cornelia De Lange Syndrome). Some people instantly think of down syndrome when they see her, but its not! They share some of the same characteristics. People treat her like if she has no brain which irritates me.

My family lives all across the country so when they interact with her, its different from how I or local family interacts with her. She understands most words. But she has bad speech, no one can really understand her except people that live with her and it frustrates her as well.

Countdown

gettin serious deja vu here... what the hell... did u post somethin like this before???

two pet theories:

1. your uncle is hoping for some reassurance but won't get some from his own mind (introspection about ABDL --> holy shit, the niece likes wearing diapers, what a freak --> discomfort) either he can block it out & pretend it doesn't exist or he can look to external sources (like you) for some comfort

2. it's a function of self-aggrandizement... ABDL = weird, creepy, "what the hell is wrong with you," freaky, disturbing, disgusting, everything bad in comparison to more normal interests... he is normal, you are an ABDL... the more he brings this fact into the public light, the better he looks in comparison to you... makes him feel good, makes him look good... not raggin on your uncle either, by the way, tons of people do this...

I would agree with the statements above and add that I think your uncle simply is trying to come up with a hypothesis. Even you said you didn't know why you were rocking. It could be because of Autism, or you were regressing, or it may simply have been a coping response, either to some psychical stimulus that made your body feel comfortable, or you were bored. Think how many of us enjoy rocking in a rocking chair. We do it becomes it brings us comfort. Rocking isn't that big a deal unless it becomes repetitive, something typical of Autism.

I'm not a professional in this, but because of my job in school, I work with special ed. children, and my wife was head of special ed at the same school until she had to retire because of her diabetic disability. What I'm saying is that I do have some knowledge, but not enough professional training to give you a better answer than that. I think your uncle was merely grasping at straws and using the limited information he had. I wouldn't let it bother you as I think he was just trying to find a reason and nothing more.

I would agree with the above statements as well.

I am wondering if your uncle is just having issues coping with, accepting or reconciling your AB/DL interests. Technically it is none of his business, but it is odd that he continues to bring it up.