Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diapers?

Default Cloth Diapers?

I might as well get to facts, I'm a college student with no money and while my mom is willing to help with most things she doesn't like the whole "baby thing"

Since I don't diaper that often, I was looking into one or two "all in one" cloth diapers. But I don't have much diaper experience besides goodnites and free samples of depends.

Anyone have any advice for me in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by pgfdp View Post
    I might as well get to facts, I'm a college student with no money and while my mom is willing to help with most things she doesn't like the whole "baby thing"

Since I don't diaper that often, I was looking into one or two "all in one" cloth diapers. But I don't have much diaper experience besides goodnites and free samples of depends.

Anyone have any advice for me in that area?
    Here's a link to quality cloth AIO diapers all in one adult baby cloth diapers I wear them as well as several others.

I did some of the cloth all-in-ones back when I was a teenager and in a similar situation. I didn't mind them at all. The only hard part was having to hand wash them, which was difficult because my family wasn't aware my interest, so you may not have the same issue with that since your mom knows (even if she doesn't like).

Quote Originally Posted by kerpow View Post
    I did some of the cloth all-in-ones back when I was a teenager and in a similar situation. I didn't mind them at all. The only hard part was having to hand wash them, which was difficult because my family wasn't aware my interest, so you may not have the same issue with that since your mom knows (even if she doesn't like).
    No she would freak, I'll deal with it when she's not home. She tends to not understand -_-

pgfd:

if you're on a shoe-string budget: MAKE YOUR OWN

Ain't that difficult... and besides teaches you a bit about using a sewing machine (always handy...).

And here's the HOW: go online, and ask google nicely to show you some cuts for baby all-in-one cloth type diapers.
    Now, take some old undies of yours and use those as a basic "upsizing" reference... just enlarge the baby version to fit you.

For materials: old terry towels (thrift stores if you're really shoe-stringed). for the Plastic cover... well you can buy PU (poly-urethane) textiles at many textile-selling places... or you can go for one of those showering curtains (they're cheap).
    Hook&Loop Velcro type fasteners & Elastics can be bough at sewing supplies or at some hardware stores.

This will spare you shipment, no one will be any wiser - as all the materials on their own never say "diaper".

Might take you a try or tow - but those things are simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and forgotten:

You could just buy / make some plastic (or PU) type pants (no diapers sewn in place)... and use folded up terry-towels.
    WORKS IN A PINCH...

I'm not a fan of cloth (I'm IC / Bedwetting).... but when I travel and know I can't really get to diapers here's what I do:
    I've got a bunch of those ultra-cool quick-drying trekking-type micro-fleece towels... inconspicuous on their own...
    and two well made plastic pants (suprima brand). now that doesn't take up a lot of space in my luggage...
    I've got about six of those towels and I use two of them for a night-time diaper - but I've got to watch a bit on how much liquids I consume).
    When wet (which is mostly the case): Wash in the sink, wring out and hang to dry ... within a few hours: DRY....

Again, I'm no fan of cloth, but this enabled me to travel and see places of the world where I otherwise would have had an issue bringing half a ton of quality disposables along....

so in your case, some terry or micro-fibre towels and some good plastic pants might get you a LONG WAY.

Try the local dollar stores. (You can buy a pack of washcloths at Walmart and use as an insert to these for night time use to add absorbency-washcloths are also easy to wash without anyone noticing and it is easy to hide in a dorm; and to offer the cloth diaper sensation without the stinky probs of full cloth )

Amazon sells cloth diapers as well as plastic pants. I buy mine from The All Together Diaper Company, which is All Together Enterprises. I think you have a lot of options. Years ago I used to buy baby cloth pre-folds and put them in my underwear and use them that way. I could even fit into Toddler sized Gerber plastic pants.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Here's a link to quality cloth AIO diapers all in one adult baby cloth diapers I wear them as well as several others.
    Being one of those members who also uses Dependeco AIO cloth diapers, I can also personally vouch that these diapers are of very high quality.
    Last edited by Cherub; 07-Feb-2013 at 10:01. Reason: spelling corrections

Default Re: Cloth Diapers?

Plastic pants are definately recommended even with AIOs. Cloth diapers can be a pain in the ass to wash, especially AIOs. Being in college is another factor. They require a different kind of care. Most recommend hang drying, which most of us would ignore it because of obvious reasons. When you do dry it in a conventional dryer. Dry it at a low heat the plastic on the AIO can be damaged. If I were you, I'd get one without a plastic backing so it would wash better(cleaner) and not be so risky drying it.
    Never use bleach or fabric softners for fabric sheets such as bounce. They take away from the absorbency and life of the diaper.

Try sticking with velcro closure ones as they are easier to manage and pins will hurt.

If you are looking for AIOs then stay away from anything that has PVC. I had a couple of those and they are a pain to take care of. The PVC cover fell apart after only a few months. I did not follow the recommended method of washing because I felt they were not getting clean enough. Since PVC covered AIOs are the only ones I've had, that is the only advice I can give you on those.

As was stated above, sewing your own cloth diapers is pretty easy. Prior to my homebrew cloth diaper projects I had never used a sewing machine, but after learning to use the machine and getting basic sewing techniques down, my first one turned out fine. There is a good article in the Articles section here on ADISC on how to make fitted cloth diapers, and several videos on YouTube on how to make them. You'll need plastic pants if you sew your own...I would not recommend trying to sew an AIO until you've got some experience, but it can be done. I have yet to try one as the PUL fabric is a bit pricey.