Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok so 'Paci' means Pacifier...!

Default Ok so 'Paci' means Pacifier...!

It's a little too close to an extremely offensive English word for my comfort!

If the word I am thinking of is what you are thinking of , then just say pacifier, or get a different name for it. Such as dummy, soother, nuk, etc. Or look up what people call theirs, you don't have to call it a paci if you don't want to.

no I know! It just made me do a double-take! I don't have a problem with it

In my mind when reading I pronounce the word paci as pack-ee but I assume it should be pronounced pas-ee?

ah, now that sounds like something to do with nukes

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle View Post
    In my mind when reading I pronounce the word paci as pack-ee but I assume it should be pronounced pas-ee?
    Yeah, I would say it's 'pahsee', 'packee' is really close to the slur 'paki'.

Default Ok so 'Paci' means Pacifier...!

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePup View Post
    Yeah, I would say it's 'pahsee', 'packee' is really close to the slur 'paki'.
    Fun fact: I didn't know it was considered a slur until I read a BBC article about prince Harry apparently using the term. My understanding is that using Paki as a slur is mainly a British thing.

Its a really silly slur when you think about it. -stan essentially means "land of", so saying Pakistan is essentially equivalent to saying "land of the Paki". The fact that we call people from Pakistan Pakistani as opposed to Paki is a real linguistic oddity considering people from other countries that end by -stan go by Afghan, Kazakh, Kurd, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Turkmen and Uzbek. So thank you Brits for ruining what would otherwise be a perfectly good word and leaving us stuck with the linguistic aberration that is "Pakistani". Imagine if you had also turned Afghan into a slur - Afghanistani sounds pretty dreadful.

Anyway, paci is pronounced with a soft c, like in pacifier.

Zpeed

What offensive word would that be..