Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Islands earthquake 8.0 reported 8:38 pm EST

Default Solomon Islands earthquake 8.0 reported 8:38 pm EST

Warning, Warning....
    Solomon Islands earthquake 8.0 reported 8:38 pm EST...
    there has been a Tsunami warning issued... there was an aftershock of 6.4....
    view USGS summery here:
    M8.0 - SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS 2013-02-06 01:12:27 UTC

view "National Data Buoy Center" interactive map here:
    National Data Buoy Center

(for added info, click on the blinking buoy icons on the map...)
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 06-Feb-2013 at 09:20.

as an up-date;
    as of 12:08 am pacific coast time, a Tsunami wave event apparently past, and was registered on a buoy 50 miles west of the big-island (Hawaii)..... water depth at the buoy location is 4737 meters....

What is the resting depth at that buoy? What's the expected impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    What is the resting depth at that buoy? What's the expected impact?
    last time i checked, all Tsunami warnings had been dropped for the Pacific with the one exception of New Zealand where they were still on alert. and as there is no apparent tide in most of the Islands; that depth is the stable norm at that buoy, Marka.....

***scratches head*** ya'know...I don't recall any tides there...now that you mention it. Well I hope that NZ skates through...

The only thing I heard was there was a meter high tsunami wave and 5 died from it in the islands where the quake was. That's all CNN felt the need to report other then any other warnings have now been lifted.

Anyways we as humans need to stop being surprised and frightened over natural occurrences people can and should expect. Just like how every year everyong else outside of California gets worked ed up thinking the whole damn state is on fire. While we here in California are like "Chill it happens every single year."

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The only thing I heard was there was a meter high tsunami wave and 5 died from it in the islands where the quake was. That's all CNN felt the need to report other then any other warnings have now been lifted.

Anyways we as humans need to stop being surprised and frightened over natural occurrences people can and should expect. Just like how every year everyong else outside of California gets worked ed up thinking the whole damn state is on fire. While we here in California are like "Chill it happens every single year."
    i realize that to a main-lander, especially one living here on the US west coast where we are never far from the mountains or some high rugged cliffs.... or even the vertical-evac that tall building provid. Tsunami warnings and events that precipitate them are as yet taken rather lightly... somewhat as spectator events to be watched from the high-ground just up the road, maybe and out of reach of the wave... (raised eyebrow).

hell, even the occasional lateral volcano blast can be an event for the curious if not casual observer as it was for me with the Mount St. Helens eruption in 1980 (about 40 miles away).... but while i was watching in awe there were people fighting for their lives, and dying!

my point here is that having spent some time boating around the Pacific Basin for the Navy; i am aware that many islands and atolls (some inhabited and some not) barely rise above sea-level by more than a few foot or so.

while a couple a foot of Tsunami may mean little to nothing for the sea-walls and cliffs of the west coast. a three foot wave height might literally wipe most of the vegetation, and possibly animal life off some low-lying atoll with no quick way of evacuation...

the Pacific is very beautiful place, but every bit as dangerous too!
    i was concerned for any of our ADISC friends who lived out there who may be reading and who i could warn.....

That was nice of you littlel... Ironically in our news here in Lynchburg, Va., there is a community built around a man-made lake; one with a dam. The lake was given to Liberty U., something which wasn't altogether appreciated by the home owners, as they envisioned several thousand students parading across their yards to enjoy the lake.

A dam inspection was just performed and the dam has been judged unstable and unsafe. In addition, it was labeled a "high risk" meaning that should the dam break, residents would definitely die. The estimated cost to repair the dam is 2 million. Liberty has proposed to pay for half if the home owners would put up half, which actually sounds fair to me.

The point I'm making is that, here we are in central Virginia, and some of us are living under a man made Tsunami threat. Seems odd, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    i realize that to a main-lander, especially one living here on the US west coast where we are never far from the mountains or some high rugged cliffs.... or even the vertical-evac that tall building provid. Tsunami warnings and events that precipitate them are as yet taken rather lightly... somewhat as spectator events to be watched from the high-ground just up the road, maybe and out of reach of the wave... (raised eyebrow).

hell, even the occasional lateral volcano blast can be an event for the curious if not casual observer as it was for me with the Mount St. Helens eruption in 1980 (about 40 miles away).... but while i was watching in awe there were people fighting for their lives, and dying!

my point here is that having spent some time boating around the Pacific Basin for the Navy; i am aware that many islands and atolls (some inhabited and some not) barely rise above sea-level by more than a few foot or so.

while a couple a foot of Tsunami may mean little to nothing for the sea-walls and cliffs of the west coast. a three foot wave height might literally wipe most of the vegetation, and possibly animal life off some low-lying atoll with no quick way of evacuation...

the Pacific is very beautiful place, but every bit as dangerous too!
    i was concerned for any of our ADISC friends who lived out there who may be reading and who i could warn.....
    Dont you think that if they have internet they would have some sort of early warning system? The main issue with tusaimi's is getting the word out to the people who don't have electronic communication devices, or sirens just like what happened in 2004 or 2003, whenever that massive one hit thailand and just about everything else in the region. I get like your concerned and all and its commendable but asides getting proper technology and emergency warnings out there's not much any normal US citizen can do other then push people of power to act.