Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The AQ-Test: Legitimate?

Default The AQ-Test: Legitimate?

The AQ-test

I took it three times: I got a 36 the first time. I waited for a while so I'd forget about the questions, then took it again and got a 29. I took it a few days later and got a 31.

So...I don't really know how legitimate this test is, as my score keeps changing. Should I go talk to someone or not worry about it?

I scored a 10.

An online test with some very interesting questions I find little to do with autistic behavior (some seemed more introvert vs. extrovert type questions) I wouldn't worry to much about. The only legitimate way to diagnose autism is through interaction with a professional.

The test to me seems impractical on first glance to be any sort of indicator, but I did notice some of the questions pertain to difficulties people with autism do have. Why don't you investigate the team that created it? There's also some sort of paper with it I imagine explaining why they chose this model.

Its kind of transparent what it is and what the questions are about if you're familiar with autism spectrum.

I hit 32 doing my best to answer honestly and not swing the test either way. About what I expected. It might be more telling to have other people answer the test ABOUT you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The AQ-test

I took it three times: I got a 36 the first time. I waited for a while so I'd forget about the questions, then took it again and got a 29. I took it a few days later and got a 31.

So...I don't really know how legitimate this test is, as my score keeps changing. Should I go talk to someone or not worry about it?
    Your score changing is quite normal; as far as I know it happens to almost everybody.

The test is not diagnostic, however, it is used as a screening tool.

What's worrying you about it?

Have a read through the diagnostic criteria. It also might help to have a read other people's experiences on an ASD forum like Wrong Planet. Basically, do some research. If things that happened to you or the things you did/do suddenly start to make sense, then you might be onto something.

Hmmm... I got 35 "(very high -- most people with Asperger Syndrome or high functioning autism score about 35)".

I don't know what to think any more...

I always score similarly on such tests and I can't work out whether it's due to a combination of my personality, life experiences and lifestyle that are messing with mind and randomly giving me a high score or whether I might have some undiagnosed autistic-like qualities...

I've mentioned it to friends on a couple of occasions and they thought I was just being neurotic, and I got the same kind of response from a (trusted) psychotherapist... So who knows...?

Well...I scored 39...answering as honestly as possible.

I would point out that it says at the beginning of the test:

"Note that the scores of the test are not definitive and do not diagnose the presence of autism. If you're concerned about your score, you should consult a doctor."

I'm not concerned, so I'm not planning to consult a doctor...even tho' apparently women tend to score slightly lower than men on this 'test'. *shrugs*
    No two individuals are alike, thus what this test says about person A may not be true for person B.

Precisely. To quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations". That doesn't mean you just give up when faced with a challenge outside your comfort zone, it means that knowledge is power. Knowing that you're weak in social situations means you know what you have to work at being social to be successful and to get along. It means that you know to examine your behavior from time to time to make sure you're not isolating yourself or obsessing about non-productive or non-meaningful things.

Obsessive tendencies can be a useful strength if you can get them focused at the right things.

Being comfortable alone is a good thing at times. You just have to be aware when you're tending toward isolation.

Social butterflies have as many problems as those of us content with our own company, just different ones.

Cherub

I scored a 10. I answered as honestly as I could. I didn't find the test to be too indicative of anything. It was slightly amusing to take the test tho.

Also, questions during the test like "I notice small details other people do not". That can be a kind of of conditioning pending on your job. If you are an RN or Dr. you would notice things that others do not. Case in point, one time my wife and I were listening to this speaker up on a platform. She noticed him sweating and his certain behavior. She suspected he was in medical trouble. My wife works in the medical field. Later we learned that the speaker later that night was taken to the hospital with suspected heart complications.

Like wise, I've worked several years in the private security sector, and I'll notice certain things about people that most other folks wouldn't pick up on.

So, some questions on the test really aren't indicative of autism.

I have scored anywhere from a 28 to a 39. Its not accurate and it's not a diagnostic tool. Plus it's all due to interpretation.