Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eragon

Default Eragon

I finished Brisingr a couple months ago about a week or two after release. I was just wondering if anyone else had read the Inheritance series.
    Eragon
    Eldest
    Brisingr

I really like these books. I'm too tired to go into any details but perhaps you would like to share your thoughts on the subject, but please, leave that awful atrocity of a movie out of this.

Never read it...Never saw the movie...And that will probably be my only post in this thread

The movie was very meh. And the book seams like a easy LOTR type books but I only got to maybe the 4th chapter.

The movie was awful.
    and the books are nothing like LOTR lol

the movie sucked on a massive level.

The books on the other hand, are Freakin awesome. I love the storytelling style. On the other hand, though, They are very, very, very similar to the original star wars trilogy as far as storyline goes. So similar, in fact, That I accurately predicted most of the events in in the second and third books.

:warning_icon: Spoiler Alert! :warning_icon:

Think about it, at the set up, there is a brief chase followed by fight scene involving a hot chick, the hot chick sends something of value to defeat the empire to a random location in a panic and hopes for the best. Enter Young athletic Male. Said Male finds object of interest, discovers it's true nature, shortly has home and family (both include the Uncle!) destroyed by empire. Male goes on to epic journey with old Ex-Rider/Jedi to join an orginazation to defeat the empire. On the way, they pick up a companion, they get side tracked to discover the location of hot chick (who has been tortured to try and reveal the location of the Anti-Imperial orginization), feel morally obligated to rescue her, do so, and somewhere around here the old veteren dies. The party finishes quest to Anti Imperial orginization, mean while is tracked, Attacked, and barely escape. Orginization shelters Party for a bit, the discovers that party has lead the empires super force of death to their home base. A Frikkin' awesome battle ensues, in which the Young athletic male protagonist narrowly deals the fatal (and precise) blow to the empires force of death and is only able to do so because a duo came in at the last second from above and delays the enemy long enough.

Next, the Orginization leaves compromised base, and protagonist gets weird brain message to seek an ancient mentor. The Protagonist goes to seek the mentor trains for a while, meanwhile the orginization or other half of party gets itself into a world of Sh*t in which the Protagonist must postpone his training to to go and save them. Shortly following some flashy battle sequence, the Protagonist learns he has close family in the enemies top ranks. He freaks out, and loses something of value (a sword, arm, what's the difference?)

In the third installment, the orginization is plotting a huge offensive against the empire; and after doing a huge favor for an ally, the protagonist goes to finish his training, and The mentor dies shortly thereafter, Protagonist learns true identity of his father, and goes to aid the orginization just before the attack, Which is roughly where the story cuts off for Brisingr.

I will wager that In the final book, it will be Murtagh who ends up killing Galbatorix.

Seriously, just replace "Rider" with "Jedi", and you've practically got an interchangable story.

:blowup:
    Last edited by BromeTeks; 25-Nov-2008 at 21:56.

I read the first chapter of the first book and immediately put it down... I find it incredibly generic and it borrows just too many elements from other books/stories such as Star Wars and LOTR for my liking >_>

lol.
    I like how you generalized the whole book from one chapter.
    and there was nothing similar to LOTR and this book.
    Star wars I'll admit definitely had similar twists and stuff but star wars didn't have nearly as much plot as Eragon >.>
    Also. seriously... lotr? what is similar to lotr and the first chapter of eragon at all.

Actually, a friend summarized the book for me before I read it and I've also seen the movie. I can't remember what the first chapter was exactly, but the whole thing with dragon egg seems too similar to Tolkein's ring and all. The background of the protagonist is 'mysterious', fitting with the basic fairy tale/fantasy formula. The whole thing with the riders having dragons and whatnot is way too similar to the nazgul in LOTR. I'm not going to bother, i just don't like fancy rip-offs XD

Quote Originally Posted by pixel View Post
    Actually, a friend summarized the book for me before I read it and I've also seen the movie. I can't remember what the first chapter was exactly, but the whole thing with dragon egg seems too similar to Tolkein's ring and all. The background of the protagonist is 'mysterious', fitting with the basic fairy tale/fantasy formula. The whole thing with the riders having dragons and whatnot is way too similar to the nazgul in LOTR. I'm not going to bother, i just don't like fancy rip-offs XD
    really...?

lol
    I dont see any connection to the dragon egg and the ring..
    as for the dragons being a rip off of nazgul?
    wtf?
    like seriously wtf
    They're dragons
    they are a rip off of dragons
    not nazgul
    I bet you think that lotr is a good series as well.
    lol
    Three movies of walking
    lol
    The whole idea was simply boring and the characters themselves were incredibly static and boring and predictable as well.
    You opinion is void since you are biased and haven't read the book either.
    That's all.

Well... ignoring how pretentious you're sounding, just would like to say that there's no point arguing about a book on the internet especially when one of the people arguing is a total fanboy =P I don't know how you can think LOTR is a bad series when Eragon practically borrows all of Tolkein's legendarium and is even inspired by it. Sure, it follows the generic fairy tale structure, but so does eragon. Here, some reading for you: Works inspired by J. R. R. Tolkien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia