Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diaper+Pool=Bad Choice?

Thumbs down Diaper+Pool=Bad Choice?

So, a month or 2 ago, I wondered how it would feel to mess a diaper in the tub. So I did...
    All I can say is, WOW.
    The diaper DID NOT hold the mess in. The water was quite contaminated, and it was disgusting! So this experience made me think a little...
    Everybody knows babies are incontinent. And many people bring their little ones to PUBLIC pools. Swim diapers wouldn't help, they just let the water pass through the diaper... Maybe worsening it. I mean, it's gross enough for a baby to poop himself in a pool and the poop leaks out. But think of the bacteria. E. Coli is a HUGE threat in this case, because no sane person would want to risk bloody diarrhea, vomiting, and possibly death just to have fun in the pool. I think there should be a very shallow pool, maybe with a colored chemical that reacts to large amounts of urea in urine so they know when to quickly drain out the pool, rinse it off, and refill it. Kids will be less likely to drown, and less likely to spread diseases to bigger kids and adults. At the very least, the pool should sell plastic pants and make latex-free plastic pants a requirement to prevent dissed. Anyone else have thoughts about his?

I think swim diapers actually DO help with that kind of thing. I mean, why else would they sell them?

You have to realize pools are treated with chlorine and other chemicals as well as filtered. Your water in the bathtub isn't that's why it gets nasty right away.
    The volume of water in a pool is somewhat self cleaning as it dissolves solids as well as pee. Your tub all you can do is empty it down the drain and clean
    the tub. Swim diapers will help contain messes but need to be changed.

PaddedPuppy

Swim diapers do work. They create a good enough seal to keep any waste contained inside, pee would just go straight through it though. And everyone pees in the pool anyway.

Pools have strict health and safety rules, and the water gets tested regularly. The filters keep the water clean, and the pool attendants fish out any solids floating in the water.

You're worrying about something you don't need to. I used to swim for a hour every other night for 2 years and become no more or less ill compared to not swimming (And I have a very weak immune system also had no injections for immunity) so if public pool water didn't kill me off, or even make me ill, you will also be fine.

EDIT - Oh yeah, I just thought I would add babies are not incontinent. They just aren't trained what to do and how to do with their urges to go to the toilet. But you will notice for example they often hold until they are being changed and will then pee, proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    Swim diapers do work. They create a good enough seal to keep any waste contained inside, pee would just go straight through it though. And everyone pees in the pool anyway.

Pools have strict health and safety rules, and the water gets tested regularly. The filters keep the water clean, and the pool attendants fish out any solids floating in the water.

You're worrying about something you don't need to. I used to swim for a hour every other night for 2 years and become no more or less ill compared to not swimming (And I have a very weak immune system also had no injections for immunity) so if public pool water didn't kill me off, or even make me ill, you will also be fine.

EDIT - Oh yeah, I just thought I would add babies are not incontinent. They just aren't trained what to do and how to do with their urges to go to the toilet. But you will notice for example they often hold until they are being changed and will then pee, proving my point.
    actully now when u pee in the pool they made it noticeble becouse the clourine coverd it up and there are alot of diseses what can be passed thourgh your body of that note i rather not go swiming in public pools maybe in the contryside or the beach but i would not want to risk people seing the yellow spreed in the water.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    EDIT - Oh yeah, I just thought I would add babies are not incontinent. They just aren't trained what to do and how to do with their urges to go to the toilet.
    Case in point on this, I noticed my newborn daughter (just over a month old) will make grunting noises and make a face when she is going. So, they are not incontinent, rather it is as PaddedPuppy says they just aren't trained yet on what to do and when.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSplash View Post
    but i would not want to risk people seing the yellow spreed in the water.
    If your pee is so concentrated that it actually turns the water yellow, you need to either drink more liquids or get yourself into a doctor. Normal urine shouldn't discolor pool water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    Case in point on this, I noticed my newborn daughter (just over a month old) will make grunting noises and make a face when she is going. So, they are not incontinent, rather it is as PaddedPuppy says they just aren't trained yet on what to do and when.

- - - Updated - - -

If your pee is so concentrated that it actually turns the water yellow, you need to either drink more liquids or get yourself into a doctor. Normal urine shouldn't discolor pool water.
    omg its true do whar i said XD. allso i said nothing that my piss is yellow so no but i speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSplash View Post
    actully now when u pee in the pool they made it noticeble becouse the clourine coverd it up and there are alot of diseses what can be passed thourgh your body of that note i rather not go swiming in public pools maybe in the contryside or the beach but i would not want to risk people seing the yellow spreed in the water.
    You know the ocean is filled with all of our pee and poo right? That's where all the plumbing ends up, it is way more contaminated compared to a pool.

I clean/fix pools for a job, and i can say that with the amount of chlorine that's used in pools now fecal bacteria would have trouble surviving. The thing that grosses me out is pulling dead animals [ rabbits, birds, ect ] out of pools. I dont like swimming anymore, haha.

I'm a lifeguard, and have been somewhat of our pool's 'chemical person' for quite some time, and I've seen my fair share of Code Browns, trust me.

I know it's probably an empty comfort, but I know for a fact that if a pool is well maintained chemically, and the chlorine/bromine levels are around their peak levels of efficency, you have absolutly nothing to worry about.

I won't get into the messey details, but I've seen a pool tested vigorously for all kinds of bacteria seconds after a nasty 'incident' and because the chemicals were maintained properly, the test all came up with nothing at all. And this is with the water sample being taken inches from 'ground zero'.

As for swim diapers, they really do help. For obvious reasons, the baby pool is the most chemically high maintence of any pool, so I unfortunatly have to spend a bit of time there testing water, adjusting pH and the like. Despite it being against the rules here, some parents invariably let there kid swim in just a regular diaper. This almost always ends in disaster, because the absorbent beads that result from a busted diaper wreck pool equipment.