Thread: Dan and Me: My Coming Out as a Friend of Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A

Default Dan and Me: My Coming Out as a Friend of Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A

Shane L. Windmeyer: Dan and Me: My Coming Out as a Friend of Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A

While I'm still not a fan of Dan Cathy's views on gay marriage, I will say I have a lot more respect for the man after reading this.

If a gay man who has done nothing but protest Chick-Fil-A is now friends with Cathy and has suspended his campaign, I feel that says a lot.

Chick-Fil-A became a proxy in the national gay marriage debate in a way that never really made sense. Most of what the charities to which Dan Cathy donated actually do with their funds was and is not related to lobbying against same-sex marriage in the first place. Furthermore, the act of buying from or not buying from a fried chicken fast food chain has no real relevance to the issue.

It became an issue because both sides decided to blow up something almost irrelevant into some kind of absurd symbol.

It's a shame that so many people are so eager to see the world in black and white that they ignore the shades of gray in between. On one side, there are the people who believe that folks like Mr. Cathy might as well be members of the Westboro Baptist Church congregation, and on the other, you have people (who probably really might as well be WBC members) who think that gay folks live their lives in as immoral a fashion as possible, for whatever reason. I'd like to think that what we saw here between Mr. Windmeyer and Mr. Cathy is more indicative of how things work for the most part. If it isn't, it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitkitty View Post
    Chick-Fil-A became a proxy in the national gay marriage debate in a way that never really made sense. Most of what the charities to which Dan Cathy donated actually do with their funds was and is not related to lobbying against same-sex marriage in the first place. Furthermore, the act of buying from or not buying from a fried chicken fast food chain has no real relevance to the issue.

It became an issue because both sides decided to blow up something almost irrelevant into some kind of absurd symbol.
    Pretty much this. The pragmatic effect that the purchase of a sandwich at chic-fil-a has (or had) on the status of gay rights in this country is just about zero.

Also, I bet that many of the folk who stood up in arms and protested Chick-Fil-A may not have eaten there regularly, nor had they gotten to know the staff/management of the various franchises.

I work closely with a few managers of local Chick-Fil-As in my town due to my job, and I honestly have never seen a more compassionate, efficient, friendly fast food environment. I didn't know such a thing existed. They are truly good people.

Thank you so much for sharing this article. I probably wouldn't have found it on my own.