Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Deserves a Welcome!

Smile Everyone Deserves a Welcome!

Just did a bit of searching on the greetings forum to see who all has returned or newly joined ADISC so far. It was sad to see several newbie's/returnee's threads never had so much as one "welcome" or "welcome back" reply. Started thinking how lax I've been about offering welcomes, too. Sooooo......to rectify that situation.....I'd like to formally offer a welcome to the following members:

Conrad
    Sly Fox
    Ranger
    Silverwing
    Lone_Wolf
    Angelicus
    tbchris
    legobaby
    tbsam88
    DarkSunDS
    Target_0

I see some are already regulars while others have posted only a few times. Just hope none of those *low post* members were discouraged by not receiving a welcome at first to make them feel at home.

A belated, but well deserved warm Welcome to all eleven of you!

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Just did a bit of searching on the greetings forum to see who all has returned or newly joined ADISC so far. It was sad to see several newbie's/returnee's threads never had so much as one "welcome" or "welcome back" reply. Started thinking how lax I've been about offering welcomes, too. Sooooo......to rectify that situation.....I'd like to formally offer a welcome to the following members:

Conrad
    Sly Fox
    Ranger
    Silverwing
    Lone_Wolf
    Angelicus
    tbchris
    legobaby
    tbsam88
    DarkSunDS
    Target_0

I see some are already regulars while others have posted only a few times. Just hope none of those *low post* members were discouraged by not receiving a welcome at first to make them feel at home.

A belated, but well deserved warm Welcome to all eleven of you!

~Pramrider
    Good for you Pramrider. Part of the problem is the rate of new posts; I have given up trying to keep up with many threads, even some forums. Some people ignore the greetings threads as they simply have limited time to spend here. I try to say at least something to new people, though it is often slight. Therein lies another reason greetings threads are often ignored: that they are often not very interesting. It is as boring to write ," Hi new person; glad you are here; hope you like being here and stay," as it is to read the same thing over and over. Some new people write a good intro. Many don't know what to say, so they don't say it. And some try to plunge into the fray with the kind of "stories" that are meant to say," I am one of you! I deserve some status or standing in the community because I told my parents and they are ok with it!!" - And are probably shocked, or at least disappointed when they are met with derision and skepticism.

I suggest we form a greetings committee - you and me as founding members.
    With, say 10 gc members, if one or two of us are away, the others would make sure the newbies do no go ungreeted. The replies of the gc members would contain a brief paragraph about the gc member, and some questions to the newbie; this would be a good time to introduce forum rules, etiquette, and other info, such as pointers to the kind of standard info that might be stored in wiki but "put" under the noses of the newbies.

Where it says member (I mean regular) or vip etc. we could have the title "greeter."

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    Some people ignore the greetings threads as they simply have limited time to spend here.

I suggest we form a greetings committee - you and me as founding members.
    With, say 10 gc members, if one or two of us are away, the others would make sure the newbies do no go ungreeted. Where it says member (I mean regular) or vip etc. we could have the title "greeter."
    Sounds like a good idea, Raccoon. That's my problem - having limited time. Which probably wouldn't make me the best candidate for a gc position. Though I'd be willing as time permitted. Most of the time I'm on the computer is when I'm working (or supposed to be working), and jump over to ADISC and other fav. sites during occasional breaks. I usually check for any threads that catch my attention right off.

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    I usually check for any threads that catch my attention right off.
    That's usually me! I go straight to "new posts" and then just scroll 'til something "POPS!"...sometimes I'll not see anything I feel like reading and I'll just "Mark Forums Read" and carry on with my day.

I guess I just got tired of reading all the 'greetings' threads when EVERYONE (myself included) posted one when the site came back online. I guess I should watch for some of those NEW greetings threads, but I find that I'm not spending as much time online as I once was and, as you (and the 'coon) have said, I don't find I have the time to read every thread. Especially when I come online first thing in the morning (I usually have about 20-30 mins to scan through before I have to leave to catch my bus) and there are upwards of 200 new posts (sometimes even more than that) since I was last on the site!

I guess the best any of us can do is "try" to see that 'newbies' are welcomed and 'oldies' are welcomed-back.

Haha I am defiantly with you all on this one. Ever since I have been a memeber, I would log in and start checking with the greetings forum, which is what I am doing now! I look at as, if we do not greet our new memebers they are not going to feel welcome enough to stick around or post, so we need to make sure they feel welcome. This is just part of our job as being a memeber to this community!

Hell, if nobody welcomed me, that's because I'm too annoying, you don't need to welcome me... >.> But thanks anyways...

I don't pay a lot of attention to the Greetings forum because there are just so much cliché usernames and stories that I'd have -100 reputation by now if I had to look at all these threads.

No, if nobody welcomed you it had nothing to do with annoying... How could they know if you were annoying before you had even posted? We meet and greet with open minds and open arms.

Do you mean that if someone has nothing in particular to say they can at least make a new thread, & post in the greetings forum, genbaby?