Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Speed

PaddedPuppy

Default Internet Speed

I noticed the last internet speed thread had been closed. So I decided to open another, and see how good, or bad everyone's internet is.

I just switched from Virgin Media to AOL Broadband, and right now I'm not too impressed. Hopefully it speeds up a bit in the coming days, if not I'll have to ask them to try me on a lower profile and see if it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - Its a big difference to my old Virgin Media connection that I had before today...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2417189497.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	15974
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - I called AOL and asked them to try putting me on a lower profile. So they did, and no real improvement. They say because of how far I live from the telephone exchange I can't get much better than this.

Last edited by PaddedPuppy; 27-Jan-2013 at 12:50.

Name:	2461976891.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	15973

This is a college connection when noone is here. The wireless is far far worse than this.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	2461976891.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	15973

This is a college connection when noone is here. The wireless is far far worse than this.

I have a lowish end business cable connection, I think it gets pretty decent ping though. The cable company is now offering 50 meg service in town, I might jump on that and dump the VOIP phone we're barely using.

Name:	76144120.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	15977

Name:	2462863139.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	15978

Recently got comped a free upgrade to the fastest service my ISP provides.....not really sure what to do with this sorta speed.

My old scores used to be around 4 mbs

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottABDL View Post
    Recently got comped a free upgrade to the fastest service my ISP provides.....not really sure what to do with this sorta speed.

My old scores used to be around 4 mbs
    "Not sure what to do with this sorta speed" - Unless you are downloading HD Movies or something at speed, and a few other users in the house gaming, someone else on a video call, then its not going to get used fully - The majority of servers won't be able to give you a file as quick as you want to take it so it isn't all really getting used. Most people get fast broadband to show off. I downgraded to a slower speed to save some money and because I know I didn't need a fast package like that.

If you are the only user of a computer in the house, for regular use about 5-10MB will do you fine. Although if its a free upgrade you can't complain.

There's no way I'd ever ask for this much speed, they just offered it for free to not switch to their competitor (as well as free cable, and a land line for a year) so how could I say no. So far I've barely noticed a difference from when I had about 4mbs.

I find it hilarious that if I ever had 50MB/s and downloaded for 30 minutes straight I'd go over my monthly allotted bandwidth: P!

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottABDL View Post
    There's no way I'd ever ask for this much speed, they just offered it for free to not switch to their competitor (as well as free cable, and a land line for a year) so how could I say no. So far I've barely noticed a difference from when I had about 4mbs.

I find it hilarious that if I ever had 50MB/s and downloaded for 30 minutes straight I'd go over my monthly allotted bandwidth: P!
    What? Your provider still has usage limits on their broadband packages? I never seen any home broadband provider have a usage limit for a few years now. Other than the fair use policy which is 100GB with most, then you get slowed down or charged more.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    What? Your provider still has usage limits on their broadband packages? I never seen any home broadband provider have a usage limit for a few years now. Other than the fair use policy which is 100GB with most, then you get slowed down or charged more.
    It just ramps my fees up a whole bunch if my household goes over 120gigs a month. :P Before the free upgrade we only had 60 gigs and would go over really really easily.

Cherub

I was curious as to what speeds my work PC reached. OMG, it's smokin'!!

Name:	speed test 2-16-13.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	16185