Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible new NFL teams in the next 10 years.

Default Possible new NFL teams in the next 10 years.

Ok, so I know there are an abundance of NFL threads right now, but I could not find any that were related to what I was thinking. So the NFL has been talking for a long time of expanding the league again and maybe the Vikings relocating to LA. But that is not my question, so a few years back I was thinking of states, Canada, possible London, getting some new NFL teams, and what they would be named. And below lists some of the ideas I came up with but what I want to know is what you think about the relocating and if we do get new teams in the next 10 years where and what do you think they should be named?

Las Vegas, NV
    Santa Fe, NM
    Little Rock, AR
    Oklahoma City, OK
    London, UK
    Toronto and/or Montreal

So what do you think?

Denton

Las Vegas is intriguing, as long as they get a venue similar to University of Phoenix stadium with a way to make it indoor. Toward the beginning of the season, it should still be pretty hot there, I'd think. But that said, I've always wondered why people can't duck out of the gaming parlor for a bit and attend sports. LV is a great city with a poor sports scene. Las Vegas Silver Somethings?

Santa Fe is too small. Even the ABQ area seems problematic, if quite larger. People just like their UNM Lobos too much, I guess?

Oklahoma City is doing pretty well with their NBA team, no? And that's a pretty large metro area. Might work out well there. I'd love if the Oilers name could be resurrected, but somebody owns that, it seems.

I'm not sure why we don't have that seemingly obligatory team in Canada, but there seems to be some reason. I'd look at Toronto first. That city is said to be quite Americanized compared even to other Canadian cities.
    Last edited by Denton; 22-Jan-2013 at 00:01. Reason: Bad but simple typo

I would expect Las Vegas to get a team at some point, and L.A. of course. I can't really understand putting a team in London, I've heard it mentioned the league has toyed with it but it seems a logistical nightmare. Distance be a bit of an issue, but more so time zones would be hell.

Toronto seems a possibility at some point, though you may have Buffalo rally pretty hard against it (unless Buffalo moves there/plays some games there).

If Mexico ever gets it problems solved, what about Mexico city? Was thinking also MAYBE Puerto Rico though may not have the base for it (and logistics).

With Vegas you have most of your desert names (Scorpions, Coyotes, Snakes, etc. etc.), could with something mob related (unlikely), or gambling based (Aces, Gamblers, umm not sure what else). Maybe the shrimp cocktails =p.

for Sante Fe/ABQ it would probably end up desert based if I had to guess. Personally I'd love to see someone do te Cactus Wrens just for something different then the usual but probably never happen.

Not really sure what the others would use, Toronto would probably have something Canada related but not sure what. London no idea, storm maybe? =p

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I'm not sure why we don't have that seemingly obligatory team in Canada, but there seems to be some reason. I'd look at Toronto first. That city is said to be quite Americanized compared even to other Canadian cities.
    Toronto would need a new stadium (the Rogers Centre just wouldn't do) and there is some question as to just how much support an NFL team would get in Toronto. The Bills played a few regular season games there and they had trouble selling out a 55k seat stadium. American Football is increasing in popularity in Quebec, so it might be conceivable that Montreal would be a better NFL market than Toronto.

Either way there is some significant resistance to having an NFL team in Canada due to the CFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    If Mexico ever gets it problems solved, what about Mexico city? Was thinking also MAYBE Puerto Rico though may not have the base for it (and logistics).
    Puerto Rico sounds great, Mexico seems a little distant yet, but could definately work.

And I think the Montreal and Quebec sounds great too. If only some of these teams could be featured next year lol.

Personally I see LA getting a team within the next few years, possibly a relocated team. As for NFL expansion, not sure when and IF that will happen. Given the US economy and the fact that some cities are hesitant to build new stadia for teams- let's use the Vikings as an example: It took the Minnesota Vikings 10 years to get the funding for the new stadium that should be open by 2016 and it also took the San Francisco 49ers YEARS to get the funding for their new stadium in Santa Clara due to open for the 2014 season.

Expansion can also be tricky. The last time the NFL expanded to Houston, Houston was not believe it or not- supposed to get that team- Los Angeles was. LA was the main choice for the team that became the Texans. The only reason the city of Houston got the team was because Houston had it's act together while Los Angeles did not and the parties involved were busy bickering with each other over petty stuff such as who got how much of the team and what have you. LA was not in any shape or form ready for another team. Hence one of the reasons why BOTH the Raiders and Rams left within a few months of each other in early 1995!!!

For the NFL to expand, they have to go to viable markets that can work out for their interests rather than risk having a team end up like baseball's Seattle Pilots who moved to Milwaukee after ONE season in the Emerald City and became the Brewers.

I have thought Mexico City would be a good place to expand to given that the NFL has always done well at Azteca Stadium when they have had games there, London- that's a long shot but who knows what will happen- Vegas, I doubt it with the gambling industry heavily rooted in that area. Montreal is an interesting and intriguing place to put a team but there might be opposition to the NFL putting teams in the CFL markets. In fact; I can tell a short story about that one...

In 1973 an upstart football league known as the World Football League tried to put a team in Toronto but it faced steep opposition in the Canadian government. It ended up being a futile cause as the Canadians passed a law prohibiting an American team from having a home base in Toronto because the Canadians felt their brand of football was being threatened.- I read about this in an old NFL Record book I have from the late '70s plus this information is clearly online as well. Future NFL expansion is going to be very tricky and I look forward to seeing if there will be new teams in the league or not. I also would love to see a competing league again like the USFL in the '80s.

I know some of you are wondering how I know about all this- well- I read a lot about football as football has long been a passion of mine.

WildThing121675

Default Re: Possible new NFL teams in the next 10 years.

I don't think that a team in Mexico wouldn't be a problem. The NCAA has a football team in Hawaii. Hawaii is a whole lot further than Mexico City.

If the NFL were to expand that would break apart a good schedule format. They would have to expand pretty fast.

There's plenty of good locations the NFL could exploit. I think it would be a great idea to expand in Ft. Worth Tx. Imagine the rivalry that would create.

Los Angeles would be a good fit.

OKC would probably thrive.

Las Vegas wouldn't be a good idea because there's too many tourists. I don't think there would be a good fanbase.

Canadian teams probably wouldn't make it either.

European teams would be out of the question. The costs would be to great.

It would be possible to have a Hawaiian team as well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    London no idea, storm maybe? =p
    The London Blitz would be good.

london already has a team named the london blitz maybe the london red coats they could have a rivalry with the pats

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    If the NFL were to expand that would break apart a good schedule format. They would have to expand pretty fast.

Los Angeles would be a good fit.
    Theres NFC and AFC each with 4 divisions with 4 teams in each division. So to add in anymore NFL teams you would need 8 teams to keep it fair to the (original) 32 teams. that way you can had a 5th division or add 1 more team into every division.

Also LA would be a horrible city for a NFL team as the Rams and Raiders have proven. Plus fuck we already have 3 NFL teams, we don't need any more!

As for a City state that could really use a NFL team. Portland Oregon, Boise and maybe Fargo?