Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a question.

Default Got a question.

I have been a bedwetter back my teen years. I had it under control with just a few drops. In my mid twenties I lost control again. Now I am in my mid thirties and I still have no control. Its weird, sometimes a few drops and sometimes a puddle. When it happens I don't feel anything. I went to see a doctor. I told the doctor about the problem. The doctor said I have incontinence problem and have been for years. I am just curious, I thought incontinence means no day time control. Does it also mean for bedwetters too?

short answer, yes, especially when it appears later in life

The older you get the worse it can get. For me now that's the main reason I wear 24/7.

I went through basically the same thing BabyToddler.......It sucks, but it is what it is...we just have to cope and carry on.

I can mirror what baby toddler is reporting. I had a lot of anxiety about wetting issues when I was young. It always worried me to have to ask for clean sheets or own up to the big yellow stains on my underwear. This was after I was "officially dry" and no longer wearing the "trainer pants" I graduated to after leaving diapers behind. My parents were exasperated by my problem and life was a lot easier when I was over most of the problems about the age of 14-15. I thought they had gone for ever but by 25 I had pretty constant wetness in my underwear and some quite bad accidents. That cleared up and again I thought the problems were over but by the age of 40 I was experiencing dribbling and semi-occasional accidents including wetting the bed at night. Looking back the effort and worry I expended by coping, always wearing black trousers and having spare underwear to change into etc. took a lot out of me but I soldiered on until a particularly bad week of accidents made me rethink. I took the advice I always gave to others and went to the doctors - but tests and consultant appointments didn't come up with a clear reason. My own guess is that I have always had a tendency towards poor control and recent illnesses have left me with little hope of being free of IC in my declining years (which I am now well into).

BUT I control the symptoms pretty well and lead a very full life with lots of meetings and social interaction. I am actually more relaxed now that I accept I need diapers etc, than I was when I was trying to prove to myself I didn't need them. In particular I sleep much better than I did when I was preoccupied about not wetting the bed and had alarms going off and very strict regimes about intake of fluids etc.

So I not only agree with SWOntarioIcon that we have to cope and carry on - I'd go further and say that with modern products you can cope well and get a personal "management routine" that can free you from the worst worries.

Default Got a question.

incontinence simply means a loss of control. a dribble here and there? incontinence. No feeling in your bladder so you're in diapers 24/7? incontinence. It's just an umbrella term.

I became incontinent as the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. However, heavy duty practice of Kegel exercises got me to the point where I could generally go without a daytime diaper by the time I went to university. However, my daytime problems got worse again when I was in my forties, and I've been back in diapers 24/7 for about 25 years now. My decision to go back to diapers 24/7 was the result of a series of experiences very similar to those that dayannight described. Relying on diapers instead of battling my leaky bladder has been a tremendous stress reducer.

cer600

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToddler View Post
    I have been a bedwetter back my teen years. I had it under control with just a few drops. In my mid twenties I lost control again. Now I am in my mid thirties and I still have no control. Its weird, sometimes a few drops and sometimes a puddle. When it happens I don't feel anything. I went to see a doctor. I told the doctor about the problem. The doctor said I have incontinence problem and have been for years. I am just curious, I thought incontinence means no day time control. Does it also mean for bedwetters too?
    I've been a heavy bed wetter for life and have regular day time accidents

Incontinence is basically just defined as 'not having control' of bladder or bowel. What you are describing is "nocturnal enuresis". If the doctor didn't say this for some reason you can find a lot if you search it. There might be something in there that might help but without specifics it's harder to give an idea of what anyone can suggest. If it's more of a permanent issue that you are going to have to live with (then certain diapers, tricks, ideas to make it easier) or one that can be temporary and is more controllable with aids like bw alarms and stuff.
    Last edited by kitsiulla; 27-Jan-2013 at 13:13. Reason: *just saw the first part is what was already said.