View Poll Results: Is It Okay To Cheat At Sports?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - honesty, honor, and integrity are more important than winning.

35 85.37%
  • Sure - winning is what it's all about, no matter what it takes. Look for every advantage/

0 0%
  • Yes - if your competition is doing it and you have to in order to be competitive.

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's an interesting question: Is Cheating Okay In Sports?

Default Here's an interesting question: Is Cheating Okay In Sports?

It's certainly nothing new, but some recent headline stories make it relevant.

Put yourself in the shoes of one of the guys who has a lot at stake (Career, money, family) in what they're doing. Is it okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Put yourself in the shoes of one of the guys who has a lot at stake (Career, money, family) in what they're doing. Is it okay?
    So basically any sportsperson?

What makes the cheater more important than those who don't cheat?

No. Cheating is bad.

If someone is using enhancing drugs, or cheating in any way really, then they should be punished for it.

If they need to cheat to win, it's completely unfair on the other participants in the game, and then it just ruins the challenge and the essence of a game/sport.

Also, If they need to cheat to remain where they are on a leader board or just remain one the best, then they're not good enough to be playing the game, and need to realise that.

Also, Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah was really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
    So basically any sportsperson?

What makes the cheater more important than those who don't cheat?
    Not a thing. But the reality is, especially with the Armstrong/Cycling scandal, is that almost everyone is cheating in one form or another in high-stakes, professional sports. In some cases, in order to keep your job and support people, some players turn to cheating.

Do I think it's a good thing? Absolutely not. Do I think it levels the playing field to do it, if others are doing it to gain an advantage on you? Absolutely.

No. Cheating is wrong. However you're naive if you take sports figures as role models or personal heroes in areas outside their area of expertise. They're just like you and me, and subject to temptation same as you and me.

In the current context, all the people singing the praises of Lance Armstrong as some kind of saint are now bashing him as if he were Satan. Drugs or no, he paid his dues training and competing. Yeah he got caught up in shady stuff to win. Its not right, but neither does it change the decades of training 20000 miles a year and the amazing physical performances.

Spend a few years and 100,000 miles suffering in the saddle before you call him the anti-Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    No. Cheating is wrong. However you're naive if you take sports figures as role models or personal heroes in areas outside their area of expertise. They're just like you and me, and subject to temptation same as you and me.

In the current context, all the people singing the praises of Lance Armstrong as some kind of saint are now bashing him as if he were Satan. Drugs or no, he paid his dues training and competing. Yeah he got caught up in shady stuff to win. Its not right, but neither does it change the decades of training 20000 miles a year and the amazing physical performances.

Spend a few years and 100,000 miles suffering in the saddle before you call him the anti-Christ.
    With the Lance Armstrong case, it's pretty clear to me that everyone was cheating. That doesn't make it a good thing. But I can see where he'd feel the need to do it just to keep up with everyone else. He said it pretty clearly himself; he didn't view it as cheating. He viewed it as leveling the playing field. Not to mention he most likely started doing it after he got cancer, in order to re-up his strength faster.

I think if you took the drugs away from everybody, he'd blow everyone out of the water anyways. He's the best on steroids, so probably the best off them too.

don't care much for cheaters, I get suspicious every time I see someone performing WAY above the others, at least as far as drugs and doping is concerned

Lance was stripped of his Tour de France titles, the funny thing is, when they went to award others those titles, it was found that almost all of the front runners were also doping. My thoughts are, the era of doping in competitive biking, and baseball is over, I actually agree with the lifetime ban, but I think they should've let the titles lay, I get the feeling that even if these guys weren't doping, it likely wouldn't have affected the outcome so much, if they werent doping, I really don't think Lance would've won quite so many in a row, I think he wouldve still won a few if no one else was cheating either.

I see it as when the field was so full of cheaters, it didn't make much of a difference in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    don't care much for cheaters, I get suspicious every time I see someone performing WAY above the others, at least as far as drugs and doping is concerned

Lance was stripped of his Tour de France titles, the funny thing is, when they went to award others those titles, it was found that almost all of the front runners were also doping. My thoughts are, the era of doping in competitive biking, and baseball is over, I actually agree with the lifetime ban, but I think they should've let the titles lay, I get the feeling that even if these guys weren't doping, it likely wouldn't have affected the outcome so much, if they werent doping, I really don't think Lance would've won quite so many in a row, I think he wouldve still won a few if no one else was cheating either.

I see it as when the field was so full of cheaters, it didn't make much of a difference in the end.
    I'm with you on that one. I have no use for cheaters or drugies in any sport. I have no interest at all for cycling,track and field or any other sports that have
    drug problems. I think baseball has cleaned their problem's up. NASCAR dosen't tolerate drugs at all for obivious reaons.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I think if you took the drugs away from everybody, he'd blow everyone out of the water anyways. He's the best on steroids, so probably the best off them too.
    A common misconception. Steroids are only of incidental use to cyclists as a topical ointment to heal saddle sores. The primary issue for endurance athletes is blood doping, ie, various methods of increasing the ability of blood to carry oxygen. One of the methods involves drawing quantities of your own blood over time, then loading back the red blood cells for competition. Incredibly difficult to detect since its your own blood being used. Another method is the use of erythropoetien, a hormone that stimulates red blood cell production. You can really test for that, since its naturally ocurring. They do it by taking periodic blood samples and comparing ratios. Lance would've been very familiar with epo as its generally (and legally) used by cancer patients on chemo.

But you're right. Not only was he likely the greatest cyclist of his era (if not all time), but the greatest cheater of all time. Twisted praise, but worthy of note.

Default Here's an interesting question: Is Cheating Okay In Sports?

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I'm with you on that one. I have no use for cheaters or drugies in any sport. I have no interest at all for cycling,track and field or any other sports that have
    drug problems. I think baseball has cleaned their problem's up. NASCAR dosen't tolerate drugs at all for obivious reaons.
    I think Baseball is probably still pretty bad. They are moving way ahead of te NFL, NBA and NHL starting next year. WADA are not nice people, and they are the ones you want in charge of your anti-doping agency. But today cycling is pretty much at the cutting edge when it comes to PID detection. Baseball is pretty much the fastest non-Olympic sport to catch up. But make no mistake that it's pretty easy to dope in the MLB circa 2012. And the NFL? Ya...

What NASCAR did right was hand de-facto lifetime bans for the first offense. That's the only way to get people's attention.

And as Maxx said steroids are not a huge factor in road cycling.