Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier users: do you keep one specifically for when you're sick?

Default Pacifier users: do you keep one specifically for when you're sick?

I love sucking on pacis, but I threw mine out this morning as I am sick AGAIN with a sore throat sniffling and sneezing and I feel like crap! I was going to replace my paci (Baby Bop with a NUK 4 latex nipple/teat) with one made just like it, But I was also going to buy a pacifier actually of the NUK brand, the kind with the small guard, in white. But I was going to request that the handle be red. Like the Baby Bop paci, the NUK-brand paci would have a NUK 4 latex teat. That paci, I would only use when sick, hence the colour scheme. Whenever my cold or whatever I may have goes away I will toss the "health" paci and order a new one. And to keep it for its special purpose I will keep it in my personal first aid kit that I will put in my diaper bag when I have everything. Do any of you have an "only when I'm sick" paci? I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions!

No but you bring up a great point about paci care and cleanliness.... how often do people sterilize their binkies and teething toys... :/

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by BabyScrat View Post
    how often do people sterilize their binkies and teething toys... :/
    My paci gets put under running water if its been out my mouth during the day before it goes back in, and every morning when I wake up it will be sterilized in boiling water. And I replace them every 2-3 months.

For me, sterilization is a bother, especially after I've been sick. Don't get me wrong I DO sterilize my pacis but I really find it to be a big chore I'd rather have one pacifier reserved for illness and then when I am better, toss it and order a new one. That also keeps my other paci(s) from being contaminated by illness germs. Seems like a very sanitary idea to me. Is anyone thinking of trying it themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

And of course, every 2 to 3 months I also throw out my "regular" pacis and get those replaced.

..hmm, I'm glad you brought this up, I just use running water for the one I've had during the night - I should sterilize it now and then. About having a "sick-paci", I think it is a great idea! And I'm totally addicted to using special colors for special moments

It's an interesting idea, but I think I would just boil mine after being sick. I'd rather spend 10 minutes in front of the stove instead of spending $20 on a new NUK5.
    Although I don't use my pacifier when I'm sick anyway, not for safety reasons, but for the simple fact that I can't breathe through my nose when I'm sick.

Um that seems like a bit of a bad idea. Just boil it for a couple minutes to get rid of the germs. Other wise if you havew one just for when you are sick then you will just keep adding germs to it and who know what you will get after using that.

Quote Originally Posted by memorychick View Post
    I love sucking on pacis, but I threw mine out this morning as I am sick AGAIN with a sore throat sniffling and sneezing and I feel like crap! I was going to replace my paci (Baby Bop with a NUK 4 latex nipple/teat) with one made just like it, But I was also going to buy a pacifier actually of the NUK brand, the kind with the small guard, in white. But I was going to request that the handle be red. Like the Baby Bop paci, the NUK-brand paci would have a NUK 4 latex teat. That paci, I would only use when sick, hence the colour scheme. Whenever my cold or whatever I may have goes away I will toss the "health" paci and order a new one. And to keep it for its special purpose I will keep it in my personal first aid kit that I will put in my diaper bag when I have everything. Do any of you have an "only when I'm sick" paci? I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Binkygirl I intend to throw out the sick-paci when my illness is over, and just order a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by memorychick View Post
    Binkygirl I intend to throw out the sick-paci when my illness is over, and just order a new one...
    seems like a bit of a money drain when you could just sterilize it.

It actually doesn't matter if you use your paci again after you've used it when you're sick. Its not like you're sharing a paci with someone, its yours and your spit mainly thats on it and the germs that you are currently carrying. You can't reinfect yourself again, thats like buying a new toothbrush after everytime you get sick, which I doubt you do. Mainly I would just recommend that you boil it, if you really are concerned about germs, because boiling water kills anything really. Also, the only days that you really are contagious when you have a cold is about three days before you even have symptoms, which is the incubation period for germs. So overall I would not recommend buying a paci for just when you're sick, its a waste of money, and your current paci will not reinfect you again.