Thread: PUL fabric (PUL diaper) - what is it?

Default PUL fabric (PUL diaper) - what is it?

I must admit, when I first heard about this fabric, I had no idea what it meant. Then again I am not in the cloth diaper circles, so 'PUL', for a while was an unknown to me.

I don't know if others know what 'PUL' is or not, but I thought I'd share a little information on it. The following was found on Celtic Cloths. Here how PUL fabric is described:

PUL, otherwise known as polyurethane laminated fabric, is a lot more technical than just a plastic backing on fabric. The original application is the medical field, and it is still used for this purpose. Like cloth diapers, it is used to replace disposable products with reusable. It provides the waterproof barrier needed in the medical field that can survive multiple institutional washings. The laminate can also be autoclaved, which is a very high heat steam sterilization process, to make it safe for reuse even after it comes into contact with blood or other bodily fluids.

The polyurethane laminate can be customized by the manufacturer and comes in different thicknesses. For cloth diapers, 1 mil or 2 mil is generally preferred. This allows for a good stretch, complete waterproofing, and is still comfortable enough to wear next to the skin. There are other options for waterproof fabric, but PUL is so durable and reliably waterproof it has become a favorite for cloth diapers. It has been truly kid tested!

Hope that helps some folks out there. It helped me understand what it was.

I remember when I first ran into pul in the adult diaper cover aio market and was not sure about it, but after trying it found it great.

It was supposedly in the covering of the AIO I bought a few years ago that leaked like a sieve after a few washings.

I have a PUL plastic pant from All Together Diaper Co., and it has worked well for me. It's a little on the small size, since it is a small, so I wear it as a cover to my cloth day diaper. It's weird to wash, because it feels like it absorbs the soap. I wash mine by hand in the shower, using dish washing detergent. It has held up well and hasn't leaked. The beauty of them is that you can wash them in the washing machine. I wouldn't put it in the dryer, but rather, hang it up on a plastic hanger and let it air dry. It would last longer that way.

I should add that they are soft and comfortable, and though they don't feel quite like the vinyl plastic pants like the Gerber baby plastic pants, it has a nice feel and sensory sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    ....I should add that they are soft and comfortable, and though they don't feel quite like the vinyl plastic pants like the Gerber baby plastic pants, it has a nice feel and sensory sensation.
    I can say they were a life saver when I found out about them in the warm Florida climate I am about as far north on the Atlantic side of Florida as you can get, January 14th, 80F/26.6C on average currently 1AM Janurary 15th 75F/23.9C requiring the windows to be open and the Fan on medium in mid January, thus some breathable covers are well appreciated. I also tend to use a cotton/linen cover over the pul cover because they feel like the condensate sometimes even when they have not leaked a drop and are dry as they can be outside in my experience making a fabric cover or extra large pair of underwear to wear over them is a must for me.

The best thing is that PUL is not hot like plastic is when your wearing either an AIO or a covering of prefold