Thread: Java warnings

Default Java warnings

Any thoughts from our resident geeks regarding warnings in the media to disable Java? Is there a problem, or is this just the news people getting to the party late over something that's already been fixed?

Default Java warnings

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Any thoughts from our resident geeks regarding warnings in the media to disable Java? Is there a problem, or is this just the news people getting to the party late over something that's already been fixed?
    Yes, they are late to the party. No, it's not fixed, though at least it is now a known bug.

As far as problems go, let's just say that what the vulnerability allows attackers to do (run arbitrary code) is close to being as bad as it gets.

Edit: been told by a tech that there is a hotfix out. Still a bit weary when it comes to Java's security - I don't trust Oracle's runtime :/

Well, if you go to the site you can download Update 7 version 11 (x64 & i586), version 10 is the one with a hole in security. Also never forget to disable Java script whenever you don't need it, you never know where bad Java script could be.

Default Java warnings

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    Well, if you go to the site you can download Update 7 version 11 (x64 & i586), version 10 is the one with a hole in security. Also never forget to disable Java script whenever you don't need it, you never know where bad Java script could be.
    JavaScript has nothing to do with Java, though

JS blockers like NoScript is nice but can be pretty overbearing if you aren't used to it.

Thanks for the input. I've uninstalled Java until such time as the all clear is sounded or I find something I need that won't run without it.

And apparently update 11 is broken too now, so it is probably best to just disable the Java plugin altogether and only enable it for sites you trust if you really need it. (Some banks, runescape if you play it)