Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No way back

Default No way back

You are naked in an unfamiliar room. It’s a small place with no windows, very solid walls of green painted raw concrete and a single bulb light in the middle of the ceiling protected by a metallic cage. A single long bench with a soft top surface, similar to a bed, is the only furniture available and occupies most of the space available. There is a metallic door, not locked, and you already peeped outside to find just a narrow, straight and totally dark corridor that runs endlessly in both directions. While your room is warm, the corridor is cold and windy and there does not seem to be any light to be switched on. The door has a spring that automatically closes it and there is no handle outside, just a tiny bore for a key. If you let the door close while outside, there would be no way back. The only other feature of the room is the air vent that allows your place to stay warm, protected by a grid and in any case too small for you to climb into it. The air passing through it is the only sound you can hear.

No food or drinks on sight. No objects available to keep the door open. If you try to cry for someone to come, nobody answers.

You have no idea on how you have reached this place and can just make wild guesses on why you are here.

Providing you see no changes whatsoever while in the room, no matter the activity you try to do, how long would you wait before venturing into the corridor? What would be your line of reasoning in a similar situation? Would you eventually go downwind or upwind?
    Last edited by Fiammaverde; 14-Jan-2013 at 09:09.

I know I would find myself in the corridor, but my choice to venture out there would be influenced by many things.
    - Boredom would probably be the main decision to leave, but if all else failed, hunger would drive me out.
    - How cold is the corridor? My willingness to leave the relative warmth of the room would decrease with the temperature of the corridor.
    - If I could use the bench or something to prop the door open, I would be much more willing to leave, and explore the corridor.

Upwind or Downwind
    - If I could prop the door open, I might be willing to travel against the wind.
    - Otherwise, I would probably be more likely to with the wind.
    - - It wouldn't be as cold as fighting the wind.
    - - I figure that if the wind is moving that direction, there has to be some sort of opening at that end for it (and me) to escape.

If I may ask, what is the reason for asking this question?

Quote Originally Posted by Justtrytoguess View Post
    If I may ask, what is the reason for asking this question?
    The answers would tell me something about the way your mind works.

From the limited perspective of the room, your choice is between a well-known and relatively bearable situation and a challenge that for sure will, in the short term, irreversibly put you in a more unfriendly environment but gives back some initiative. In reality, in both cases, you do not have enough elements to decide what will be better for you in the long run.

The logic (if you have enough of it) suggests to remain in the room, where survival options seem higher, and maybe open hte door from time to time to monitor the corridor. Instinct, honor and self-esteem require instead to get back initiative in your hands, as if it’s preferable to meet fate sooner while fighting it actively rather than waiting for it passively.

As for upwind or downwind choice, it’s a matter of double thinking and paranoia. For sure upwind is more unpleasant than downwind, so a moderately paranoid mind would think that a malicious captor would place the exit upwind and a trap downwind… someone more paranoid however would think that the malicious captor wanted him/her to believe that the wind was placed there to let him think in a paranoid way and therefore would choose to go downwind… or that the wind is just meaningless and therefore go downwind in any case.

PaddedPuppy

I wouldn't wait at all and would be straight out the door. As the person above said if there is wind coming through I would walk with that looking for a possible escape. If I didn't put myself in the room then I don't want to be there. So would waste no time trying to make an escape while I have the most energy so I can keep going for longer, trying for longer to get away.
    Last edited by PaddedPuppy; 15-Jan-2013 at 10:36. Reason: (Just read it back, when I said about the wind I mean walking with it, the way I said it was unclear so changed)

I would leave the room ASAP and head down wind. The reason I would go down wind is because you mentioned an air vent in the room suggesting the building will be at positive pressure, so air will be heading towards an opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiammaverde View Post
    The answers would tell me something about the way your mind works.
    I guess I figured that. ^_^

I was wondering more so what prompted you to ask it here. Are you looking for a commonality between minds of the AB/DL community? Is this a trial of a question you plan on asking somewhere else? Just for gits and shiggles?

The logic (if you have enough of it) suggests to remain in the room, where survival options seem higher, and maybe open hte door from time to time to monitor the corridor. Instinct, honor and self-esteem require instead to get back initiative in your hands, as if it’s preferable to meet fate sooner while fighting it actively rather than waiting for it passively.
    My only question here is hunger. You said nothing about any sort of food or water in the initial description of the room. After you find that there is no food in the room, the only other option is outside.

As for upwind or downwind choice, it’s a matter of double thinking and paranoia. For sure upwind is more unpleasant than downwind, so a moderately paranoid mind would think that a malicious captor would place the exit upwind and a trap downwind… someone more paranoid however would think that the malicious captor wanted him/her to believe that the wind was placed there to let him think in a paranoid way and therefore would choose to go downwind… or that the wind is just meaningless and therefore go downwind in any case.
    To be honest, I never even thought that the wind could have been "placed" there with any intent to influence a choice one way or the other. I guess I never assumed a malicious captor, due to the lack of any overwhelming evidence to suggest one way or the other.

There is light, and a semi comfortable bed. Both seem like acts of kindness, unlike those of a malicious captor. However, the fact that I am naked and alone would point towards a malicious captor. They pretty much even out, in my mind. The unlocked door could go either way. You are not trapped in the room. However, the fact the the door cannot be opened from the outside suggests that once you leave the room, you are stuck in the unpleasant environment of the hallway. That doesn't seem very nice at all.

There's nothing to suggest that there is a captor of any sort -- after all, the door to the "cell" is unlocked. I'd consider it reasonably likely that there would be a way out of the building (or at least some way to contact someone -- a phone or intercom somewhere maybe). I would try to prop the door open somehow (if the light cage could be removed or part of the bench or gnawing off a fingernail to jam the catch on the door), but I'd leave anyway if I couldn't.

And again, I'd walk against the wind (upwind) in the hope that it led to an exit.

A big factor in my decision would be how dark it is in the corridor. If it was pitch black, I'd be less eager to venture out of the room. Even if there is an exit somewhere it might be impossible to find, and I'd have to move slowly to ensure I didn't walk into anything or become disoriented and lose track of the section of corridor that I had explored (particularly if the first direction I chose led to a dead-end)...

Cherub

Here's my thinking on this:

First some information is missing to give a detailed response
    1) What was I doing before I ended up in the room?
    2) What woke me up? (on my own, a noise, a smell, a change in the environment)
    3) What is my physical condition?
    4) Where in the room did I wake up? (on the bed, floor)
    5) How big is the room I wake up in?
    6) How big is the bed-like structure?
    7) What is the bed-like structure made of?
    8) Is the bed-like structure secured to any walls or the floor?
    9) What is the room temperature of the room I wake up in?
    10) How big is the corridor outside (width, height)
    11) What is the temperature of the corridor (slightly cool, freezing)
    12) What is the surface of the corridor like? (cold, warm, smooth, jagged, littered)
    13) What is the wind speed of the air current? (just noticeable, gale force )
    14) Are there any fragrances/odors noticeable anywhere (what kind if any)

Upon waking up I would try to remember where I was and what was I doing before I was taken against my will. If I didn't enter the room on my own and in own my right mind, then I am in the room against my own will. Also the fact my clothes are missing would indicate a not-so-friendly element.

You mentioned a single long bench with a soft top surface, similar to a bed. Usually these kinds of materials can be torn and/or broken with some effort. I assume the bench is not secured and is wooden. I would fashion some clothes footwear from the soft material. If I had enough material left over I'd fashion some sort of rope-like tool from the soft surface material (if it was taking up most of the room, then there should be enough to make all these items. I would break the legs off the bench to use as weapons. I would use part of the bench to prevent the door from latching shut once I left the room. Then I’d reach thru the metal cage and unscrew the light bulb with my fingertips. I would reach some of the soft top material thru the protective cage and try to get it to ignite from the light bulb socket, and wrap it around one of the bench legs thereby making a crude torch for light.
    Pulling my crudely fashioned clothes around me, and clutching my bench leg clubs with my hand made rope around my waist I’d venture down the corridor. I’d go against the wind current. If something was coming towards me, the wind current would carry the sound or smell possibly reaching me alerting something was coming my direction. Pending on how long I am stuck traversing the corridor, if I had to pee, I'd pee onto the hand made rope and then wring it out and drink it in an attempt to keep myself somewhat hydrated. I know it sounds super gross, but if I had NO IDEA how much longer I would be stuck in my situation, I'd be darned if I'd let thirst kill me (people lost at sea on a raft could do this instead of drinking the salt water). Besides after 3 days of zero liquid intake I'd be dead anyways.
    Last edited by Cherub; 17-Jan-2013 at 00:01.

I guess I figured that. ^_^

I was wondering more so what prompted you to ask it here. Are you looking for a commonality between minds of the AB/DL community? Is this a trial of a question you plan on asking somewhere else? Just for gits and shiggles?
    ]
    Generalizations do not work well. I'm just a fisherman that tries to throw baits into any icehole that looks promising, with no long-term expectation, if that makes sense for you.

To be honest, I never even thought that the wind could have been "placed" there with any intent to influence a choice one way or the other. I guess I never assumed a malicious captor, due to the lack of any overwhelming evidence to suggest one way or the other.

There is light, and a semi comfortable bed. Both seem like acts of kindness, unlike those of a malicious captor. However, the fact that I am naked and alone would point towards a malicious captor. They pretty much even out, in my mind. The unlocked door could go either way. You are not trapped in the room. However, the fact the the door cannot be opened from the outside suggests that once you leave the room, you are stuck in the unpleasant environment of the hallway. That doesn't seem very nice at all.
    The place is made to be as "neutral" as possible, so to force the subject to make the only choice he is allowed to make basing it solely on his/hers preconcepts. To me, it would smell of "lab's rat situation" and would fast induce paranoia... but again that probably depends on my preconcepts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    I would leave the room ASAP and head down wind. The reason I would go down wind is because you mentioned an air vent in the room suggesting the building will be at positive pressure, so air will be heading towards an opening.
    The air comes from an opening and leaves from an opening... unless it's a closed circuit. The reality is you really cannot make any deduction about where a possible exit could be.
    Leaving immediately is for sure preferrable than leaving later, for the reason given by Chickenboy. Leave ASAP, or wait there till the end: those are probably the only two good choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    Here's my thinking on this:

First some information is missing to give a detailed response
    1) What was I doing before I ended up in the room?
    2) What woke me up? (on my own, a noise, a smell, a change in the environment)
    3) What is my physical condition?
    4) Where in the room did I wake up? (on the bed, floor)
    5) How big is the room I wake up in?
    6) How big is the bed-like structure?
    7) What is the bed-like structure made of?
    8) Is the bed-like structure secured to any walls or the floor?
    9) What is the room temperature of the room I wake up in?
    10) How big is the corridor outside (width, height)
    11) What is the temperature of the corridor (slightly cool, freezing)
    12) What is the surface of the corridor like? (cold, warm, smooth, jagged, littered)
    13) What is the wind speed of the air current? (just noticeable, gale force )
    14) Are there any fragrances/odors noticeable anywhere (what kind if any)
    Facts available are the following:
    1) You have no idea on how you got there. You just find yourself there. You can only remember your normal life and then there is a sudden cut in the consequentiality of events.
    2) The room is by far more confortable than the corridor, but will not allow you to survive forever if you remain there. Survival time in the corridor however will be much shorter.
    3) Once the door locks from outside, you are out forever. No way to remove any object from the room or from the corridor in the vicinity of the door.
    4) Conditions in hte environment are absolutely static up to the moment you have observed them. This does not mean that they could change the next minute, however...

From your answer I see - in any case - that you are an active fighter, like almost anyone who has answered up to now... Good to know

Well if i was wearing some thing then i would put it into the door and look around out side if i could get out then I would dress and leave.
    Last edited by foxkits; 17-Jan-2013 at 05:47. Reason: spelling android