Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst thing that you've bought on a whim?/What one thing do you regret buying the most?

Default What's the worst thing that you've bought on a whim?/What one thing do you regret buying the most?

I'm considering dropping a fair bit of money on what is basically a fashion accessory that I couldn't even really wear that often. While I've been hemming and hawing over it for a while now, I think I'm mainly trying to convince myself to just buy it, even though I'd really regret spending that much money if I didn't absolutely love it. The thing is, it's only available for a limited time, and I'm not sure if I'd regret not buying it.

Anyway, it made me think, what's the worst purchase that you've ever made on a whim, ADISC? Or just anything that you bought but really regretted later.

Ha! I remember someone whose wife got drunk at a party, came home, went online and booked a long-weekend shopping trip in New York. She completely forgot about it till her husband received the tickets a week before they were due to go away. The tickets were non-refundable, cost about 1000 (in total) and he had quite a lot of difficulty just trying to the time off work! Not to mention that you'd not even have a chance to get over the jet-lag to really enjoy the experience! Needless to say he was not pleased!

A cinema ticket for the Avengers, i mistakenly thought it might be watchable

I'd say it would a number of albums I have bought, liked a few songs and bought the album but the rest turned out to be filler that was forgettable (See You On The Other Side by Korn being the worst one.)

spent $3000 on a magic the gathering deck. i really got off cheap because it had 3 of the power of nine cards in it. it had one black lotus, an ancestral recall, and a time walk. very expensive and paired with the rest of the deck, very OP.

a car (and i had to think to remember; being 40-odd, i've got lots of regrets. f-you, Sinatra).
    it was the first car i bought, but not my first car. my first car was my dad's hand-me-down, an ex-taxi, which i didn't get until long after i'd passed my test. the second was, erm, well, not stolen by us, but in our possession.
    so, getting my first, legit, car seemed something of a milestone in my life. it ended up being a millstone around my neck, instead.

sold by a [locally] notorious dealer under the get-out clause of 'trade sale', it was a ringer and left me in the catch-22 of not being able to return it, report it or sell it. so, i drove it; for a while, anyway. i then got offered a seeming deal i couldn't refuse: a straight-swap, no questions asked. naturally, it wasn't all a bed of roses as the new car was Q'd by DVLA. still, at least it was known about and i wouldn't have cops chasing me all over the place.

the absolute worst thing about it was the finance. not the paying it back (although, it's never nice, is it?), but the fact that i had initially asked for a larger loan, which they granted, and at which i changed my mind after sleeping on it and when opting for a lesser figure instead, they were strangely eager to ammend. not so much later, perusing through the new paperwork and smallprint, it dawned on me that the original loan hadn't been processed properly and that i might not have been obliged to repay it. and bear in that this was in the days when they gave you the cash over the counter (ya, i'd walked out of there with 4 thousand in my pocket.....and i'd then taken it back!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    A cinema ticket for the Avengers, i mistakenly thought it might be watchable
    Heh, when I went to see the Avengers with some friends, it was literally unwatchable because the machine they used to play the film kept messing up! Every ten minutes or so it would go into slow-motion for several minutes, and a few times it just quit playing at all. On the plus side, I knew someone who worked there, so in addition to getting a refund, I got to stick around for the rest of the movie. I ended up with free popcorn and a free movie!

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    I'd say it would a number of albums I have bought, liked a few songs and bought the album but the rest turned out to be filler that was forgettable (See You On The Other Side by Korn being the worst one.)
    I hate when bands do this! :/ I'm really stingy about what CDs I buy because of that. Usually I have to like every song to actually buy it.

Butterfly Mage

The worst thing I ever bought on a whim was a T-mobile Springboard tablet. It has been out for warranty work four times and still doesn't work correctly.

Denton

Well, as much as I love t-shirts, I am accumulating way too many of them these days. So, that qualifies, I think.

In 1992, in Calgary, I bought a rotten sandwich (I think meat loaf) that I still somewhat remember. No food poisoning, but you could tell it was bad.

Default Re: What's the worst thing that you've bought on a whim?/What one thing do you regret buying the most?

I agree with the music album thing.

I was recently dragged in to the mall with my sister and cousins because I didn't wear stylish clothing. After spending over $200 bucks on an outfit, I definitely regret it. I spent $70 on a pair of friggin jeans ffs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2