Thread: Eurobriefs Identical to Dry 24/7 (?)

Default Eurobriefs Identical to Dry 24/7 (?)

Ok - so I just got a bag of Eurobriefs out of curiosity for the first time. Ordered the XL because they were the only ones in stock at northshore care (
    EuroBrief Overnight Adult Diapers) and that is often my size of choice anyways.

SO I take one out of the bag and I'm struck by just how similar they appear to Dry 24/7's. The first item that seemed similar (aside from the fact that the one's I got are cloth backed and dry 24/7's are plastic) is the printing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4079.JPG 
Views:	1628 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	15847

Name:	IMG_4087.JPG 
Views:	703 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	15848

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG 
Views:	680 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	15854

Other bits are similar as well...even though they are technically different sizes (Eurobrief XL vs Dry 24/7 Large), they are almost identical in physical width, thickness, everything...
    In essentially every meaningful way, they appear alike.

Name:	IMG_4081.JPG 
Views:	1564 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	15849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4082.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	15850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4080.JPG 
Views:	857 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	15851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4085.JPG 
Views:	1363 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	15852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG 
Views:	519 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	15853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4083.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	15855

I'd say that almost without a doubt, they are made with the same equipment.

As of yet, I've not used one (i've got one on for the first time) - So I do not know about performance. But they feel very similar in thickness/width between the legs. I think the cloth/velcro tabs are the best I've tried in a diaper so far although wearing overnight usually is the best test for that. I'll update w/ my opinion a little later.

Oh and I really like the orange polka dots

Link to Higher quality picasa album of said photos...

Holy crap dry 24/7 large is huge. It does look as if they use the same equipment with the only differences being they are cloth and have an orange wetness indicator. I want them now xD I just need bigass pants to hide the giant diaper.

Nice review! Dry24/7 is one of my favorite diapers. The diapers could come from the same manufacturer but I don't know. The diapers do look very close like the same but I am not sure. Cloth back diapers tear in the crotch area on me and leave a bad chafing too. Plastic back diapers are my favorite diapers.

So I wore one for a nap yesterday and liked the feel a lot. As with most cloth backed, they just didn't stay snug very well. Felt good at first but very shortly were too baggy. Perhaps wearing compression shorts or something like that over them would help.

The worst part was that they split apart in the back and leaked (!!!!!). I've never had this happen in a diaper before although I have heard of others taping up too tightly in plastic backed and splitting the plastic. In this case, they split on the edge in the back right where the padding ends...same spot where the "Wing" joins the diaper. Upon closer inspection it appears that the wing and main diaper body were not one piece but joined somehow. This a weak point. If you look in the pictures the place it split was on the line where it goes from appearing translucent to white.

Anyways of course I'm not sure if this will happen with every one but I'm kinda disappointed after thinking I may have found a really really wonderful hight quality cloth baked diaper like dry 24/7 in performance and fit. Does not appear to be so.

I can see this, especially if they're running both on the same or similar equipment
    the seam you are referring to is what I would call a plastic weld (similar as with metals, just lower temperatures) which I also see on the dry 24/7s the particular weld in question is the join between the raised leak guards (not to be confused with the gathers) and the backsheet, with regular plastic, the heating and pressing element welds smoothly, as the plastic thicknesses are tightly controlled. with the 'cloth backed' one is faced with a problem, the actual material is the same, (usually PVC or PE),while the material appears thicker, it also introduces a much larger thicknesss variability, there is actually less surface area on which to perform the weld, being fiberous strings in leiu of a solid material, as well as a much more variable surface thickness, if they are in fact manufacturing on the same machinery, and such clearances are not adjusted accordingly, I would suspect that this operation ends up putting a weakening crimp in the backsheet during the joining process,\

I think the main reason why the manufacturers have gone to cloth backed is because it actually uses less plastic than the old style, 25% less, even with a thicker appearance, the tradeoff, aside from my chafed thighs, is a more inconsistant product.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    I can see this, especially if they're running both on the same or similar equipment
    the seam you are referring to is what I would call a plastic weld (similar as with metals, just lower temperatures) which I also see on the dry 24/7s the particular weld in question is the join between the raised leak guards (not to be confused with the gathers) and the backsheet, with regular plastic, the heating and pressing element welds smoothly, as the plastic thicknesses are tightly controlled. with the 'cloth backed' one is faced with a problem, the actual material is the same, (usually PVC or PE),while the material appears thicker, it also introduces a much larger thicknesss variability, there is actually less surface area on which to perform the weld, being fiberous strings in leiu of a solid material, as well as a much more variable surface thickness, if they are in fact manufacturing on the same machinery, and such clearances are not adjusted accordingly, I would suspect that this operation ends up putting a weakening crimp in the backsheet during the joining process,\

I think the main reason why the manufacturers have gone to cloth backed is because it actually uses less plastic than the old style, 25% less, even with a thicker appearance, the tradeoff, aside from my chafed thighs, is a more inconsistant product.
    Wow, very informative post, sounds like you've worked in packging.

I used to work for a company that made packaging film and getting the seams to weld reliably is incredibly hard. The machines run very fast so the dwell time is very short. As you say, the slightest variation in the film, the temperature, the pressure or the speed either makes the weld fail later or melts it right away. It's a wonder they ever work.

Thanks

Definatly want to try these now as uk prices for 24/7s are high due to import

I wear mediums and just got my order of Eurobriefs from Northshore. They look like Wellness, green and soft plastic cover but have elastic in the rear waist band, YEA! The Euros run a bit smaller but have more padding and a lot of SAP! These Euros hold a ton! I have not got one to leak yet even though I've tried. They are not on the thickness order of 24/7s, more like the long gone Abena X-Plus but cut smaller. The tapes hold great too! My first impression is there a winner.