Thread: Talent Shows a bad influence

Default Talent Shows a bad influence

So I thought this might be a interesting topic to clear away the politcal fog of my other threads. Are these talent shows American Idol, Americas Got Talent, X-Factor all that shit a bad influence on our younger generations?

YES - It shows them you dont need to be talented, just have a attractive body.

YES - To discriminate against people who are not necessarily physically attractive.

And YES - Influences them to not put hard work into music and traditionally go playing at clubs, etc, etc.

Yay or nay? If you say nay, I'd like a brief reason why and how its not a bad influence.

I don't really see talent shows as a bad influence but, there is no denying they are terrible cheaply made television.

I think there have been several winners of Britain's Got Talent that have actually been very talented, the dance acts have been phenomenal in particular. Shows like X Factor are different but then again they aren't in it for the music but for the fame that comes along with it and Simon Cowell having such a large amount of control over the music being made isn't helping to the point where they all sound very similar. Then again this has been a problem in the music industry for longer than reality shows have been around, now the opportunities are just more numerous and more publicised so it seems like the music industry is worse whereas it has been like this for far longer than people have realised.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    I think there have been several winners of Britain's Got Talent that have actually been very talented, the dance acts have been phenomenal in particular. Shows like X Factor are different but then again they aren't in it for the music but for the fame that comes along with it and Simon Cowell having such a large amount of control over the music being made isn't helping to the point where they all sound very similar. Then again this has been a problem in the music industry for longer than reality shows have been around, now the opportunities are just more numerous and more publicised so it seems like the music industry is worse whereas it has been like this for far longer than people have realised.
    I bet if I asked if I could sing Aerials by System of a down they wouldnt allow it cause' they dont think theyd sell. Pfff I'm sure meat loaf would puke his guts out if he heard what they put on.

i'm saying 'yay', but that's with the overview that the whole of showbiz is just a freakshow and not worth tuppence.

Well I can tell why this isn't a poll because there aren't more than one answer. And no I don't think they are a bad influence, for them to be a bad influence, they would have to show something bad. And I don't see what the bad thing they are doing is. Yes, a lot of the people who win these things are the "pretty" people, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they won. For example, Paul Potts or Kevin Skinner. Those two are not very attractive but they still won the talent competition they participated in. If they showed "every" piece of footage or the lives filled with sex, drugs and money, yes maybe then it would be a bad influence but currently it is not.

I call it a bad influence mainly for discrimination. Isnt it perplexing how they dont allow guitars or keyboards onstage at the auditions?

Well if you are talking about shows like American Idol, they don't allow Keyboards or guitars for the sole purpose of listening to the voice in accappella which shows if you can indeed sing without having some instrument back you up. But I think that discrimination is not a factor, it is called a talent competition for a reason, it doesn't matter whether you are beautiful or ugly, if you are not good, you won't get in.

Well I can see that being acceptable me being someone who sings acapella every night for vocal lessons. But the "judges" should not criticize for just the camera, they should be honest offer a balance between positive and negative criticism. Still I strongly advice people on a global basis to not watch these shows and spread the action.

I think talent shows as in it self is not bad. If the child ask parents to go to a talent show that not bad. But if it becomes a obsession of the Parents forces the children to go to the talent show is BAD.