Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers and the economy

Default Diapers and the economy

Let's face it, wearing diapers 24/7 isn't cheap. I'm curious if you've changed your wearing as a result of low income and/or increased prices. Do you wear them during part of the day/night, or do you extend your diaper use to one a day?

For me personally, I will go back and forth between Depends diapers and there underwear. The diapers I will wear one per day, and the underwear I'll try to extend to a couple of days if I haven't had too many leaks.

I didn't use to have to do this, but times are tough and I can't afford them as much as before. But I still need them with the leakage problems I have.

I've be buying at thrift stores. Just this week, I picked up a package of 40 Tena Ultra diapers for $5.90. The thrift store finds, have really cut down my diaper expenses.

If you can afford it you can look at cloth. They're a little exspensive up front but will save you in the long term. I've bought a few cloth one's from
    Dependeco and are working well for me. It cut me back at least one diaper a day. I've slso been able to cancel one of my auto orders.

Butterfly Mage

I had to go from Abena to Attends because i have not had a raise in 5 years but everything else has gotten more expensive.

used this year's Christmas bonus to buy into cloth, its gonna bump my water bill tho

Little Lord Fauntleroy, here, saying that i've cut down on my wearing by being so spoilt for choice that i can hardly ever decide what to wear, and usually end up not.

but that's also on the back of purposely stocking up on re-useable stuff, when things looked gloomy a few years ago.
    still, i always assure myself that what i need/want, i can make.

placky pants are pretty easy and cheap to make. and nappies/diapers can be utilized from any material you wish (bog standard towels will do). in fact, my first 'nappy' was a red, towelling hooded top.

No my finances are good, I'm not rich by any means but I make enough even after a decade of wage freezes to afford a few indulgences.

I have been in cloth long enough that it only effects my laundry bill but at about $10 a month it has not been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    No my finances are good, I'm not rich by any means but I make enough even after a decade of wage freezes to afford a few indulgences.
    Interesting that several of us haven't had raises in a long time. In my case, it's also been five years. Though I'm not IC, I wear cloth by choice and that's a much cheaper alternative. Where I occasionally spend money is replacing plastic pants which only last several month. Still, several months is cheaper than constant replacement.

I neverd had money problems but I'm a tight wad on diapers so I look the best diapers for the cheapest price at different stores or different websites, and I might buy my first cloth diapers from super undies soon for saving money
    And I say just budget yourself too
    For instence, let's say I get payed $400, I'll 10% for offering at church, then 10% saving, 10% on bills, and 10% on something that you want to save for, 10% on diapers if you want to. And the rest is free money like around $200