Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The soul

Default The soul

What are your beliefs on this? I'll present mine later on. Oh, and, if you could, please argue about it, I wan't all the facts. Or opinions. Or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by NARU View Post
    What are your beliefs on this? I'll present mine later on. Oh, and, if you could, please argue about it, I wan't all the facts. Or opinions. Or whatever.
    I don't believe it exists. It is just as mythical as dragons, elves, fairies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    I don't believe it exists. It is just as mythical as dragons, elves, fairies, etc.
    I don't know about facts, but I believe pretty much what Valentine does. At least in the sense that the soul is something beyond your physical self. We do have a "soul" if you count your body chemistry and brain as one. I don't believe that it goes much further than that though, and certainly not that it somehow remains after the body is gone.

Footed P.J.

Yeah, I'm an atheist, and I believe the soul is actually something within the brain, and it's hard to define. But it surely doesn't exist after we die.

It's worth mentioning that the word 'soul' can mean many things, but to save me having to describe Aristotle's hylomorphism (fancy words!) I'll just assume you are talking about the Christian conception of the soul, and not just some animating thing of living things (including plants!).

I don't believe in the Christian soul, because I'm don't believe in an afterlife. My 'soul' dies with me! It is me, it is in my body, it is my mind, in my brain.

I'll post more later if I can be bothered.

Ebn14

anyone who completed high school knows that energy cant be created or destroyed. therefore, souls exist, as does life after "death".

i could explain it in much greater detail as im very interested in this whole topic and have educated myself on every aspect of it, but im hungry and want to make breakfast right now.

Footed P.J.

Well, you've sort of left us hanging. I do hope you come back and expand in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebn14 View Post
    anyone who completed high school knows that energy cant be created or destroyed. therefore, souls exist, as does life after "death".
    Sure, energy can't be destroyed. It can however be transformed. So if you agree that the soul is you as in your physical body, it is upon your death transformed, and no longer a soul per say. Much like the sandwich in my hand right now won't be a sandwich after i have eaten and processed it.

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post
    Sure, energy can't be destroyed. It can however be transformed. So if you agree that the soul is you as in your physical body, it is upon your death transformed, and no longer a soul per say. Much like the sandwich in my hand right now won't be a sandwich after i have eaten and processed it.
    I suppose so if you would go to great lengths to argue that fact. I don't like posting on these topics because it's always so controversial. It's the same thing over and over again. "Souls don't exist because I don't want to sound like I'm in a religion or be grouped into that sort of group. So I'll just present myself as Atheist and void myself of all faith, and then when anyone presents a remotely logical idea I'll just tell them their living in a fantasy world or try and find reasons why they are wrong and generally come up half winded, and vague."

It's basic human behavior. I myself am an Idealist. I'm not sure which is right therefore I believe in the possibility of all answers being right. Such as the existence of life after death or even the existence of a soul. All I know for sure though is that Atheism grants you certainty without actually having certainty. It's basically like just scribbling down answers on a test because you don't really want to try and find the answers.

To say something is wrong without having proven evidence is ignorance, to have faith in something because it makes you feel better about yourself is human behavior. It is incredibly unnecessary to try and find reasons why faith is wrong.

But I am going to work.

Ebn14

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post
    you aren't a sandwich. youre a living being with a very, VERY high amount of luminous energy within you. not just heat, and the other typical forms of energy we already know about, but also a certain kind of energy that i personally believe science will never be able to explain. your sandwich is just a sandwich. its not alive. perhaps theres ham on it, and the pig it came from was alive at one point, but its dead now. its luminous energy (or soul) has moved on, and youre now consuming a piece of its leftover body. (yes, i believe all living things have souls, including insects and plants)

im very open minded on this whole thing, and i recognize that i could be wrong about everything i say here. maybe when you die, that really is the end. all your energy gets turned into fecal matter, just like your sandwich, and all thats left of you is a useless pile of crap for all of eternity. but i honestly dont think its that simple.

i also think its kind of stupid and naive to believe that science can explain everything, even though when you really do your research, the concept of life after death does not go against the most complex laws of physics that we already know to be true.

i should also probably mention that im an atheist. my beliefs are not religious, im just spiritual.