Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing moment

Default Embarrassing moment

Mom and I went to Costco to get some groceries. After we got out of my car, mom asked me "Do you need more diapers?" Shocked, I asked "Me?"I am sure my mom knew what I was thinking because she said for my son. I said "Oh yeah, we are almost out of them and I can't believe I found a pack in his size for five bucks."

I felt so embarrassed after that. With me wearing them and her knowing about it, and having a baby, it makes it all so confusing. Also the fact in the past when my brother left his son's bottle at my house, I said "They forgot their bottle again" and my mom said "I thought it was yours" and I told her she means my son's. She said "No I thought it was yours. I thought you were maybe having a baby's night," Then she told me how silly she was for thinking it was mine. So I can see why I would think she was talking about me when she asked me if I needed more diapers. I didn't need more for myself anyway and the stores no longer sell any except for pull ups. I was figuring she meant those anyway. But nope she meant my son. It would have been better if she said "Do you need more diapers for your boy?" or "Does your son need more diapers?"

i mean no offense but this was very confusing to read. Maybe you should explain the relation between you and your family a bit more first.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman2222 View Post
    i mean no offense but this was very confusing to read. Maybe you should explain the relation between you and your family a bit more first.
    @Calico FWIW, I think it made sense to me: you wear, your mom knows, you recently had a son, there have been some embarassing moments when it wasn't clear whether she was talking about you or your son.
    I can see how that would give you a start. And I can see the confusion for both of you. Don't think you can reasonably ask your mom to be more careful, though. You're just going to have to get used to it.
    (Couldn't be too bad.)

Now if your mom had asked if you need more diapers, you misunderstood it as meaning for you, but you didn't think she knew---that would be a truly excruciating moment.

(Before someone else does, I'll note that this post is maybe even more confusing to read.)

Best of luck. And mazel tov for the kid.

bit embarrassing, I can see, I actually get the impression she was trying to put you on the spot in both instances

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    @Calico FWIW, I think it made sense to me: you wear, your mom knows, you recently had a son, there have been some embarassing moments when it wasn't clear whether she was talking about you or your son.
    I can see how that would give you a start. And I can see the confusion for both of you. Don't think you can reasonably ask your mom to be more careful, though. You're just going to have to get used to it.
    (Couldn't be too bad.)

Now if your mom had asked if you need more diapers, you misunderstood it as meaning for you, but you didn't think she knew---that would be a truly excruciating moment.

(Before someone else does, I'll note that this post is maybe even more confusing to read.)

Best of luck. And mazel tov for the kid.
    How is my post confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by rockman2222 View Post
    How is my post confusing?
    Not yours, mine.
    Sorry, I was not trying to criticize you, I was just trying to reassure Calico.
    No harm intended.

Cherub

I can see how that would be an embarrassing moment. My mother lives 550 miles away, but my wife knows I wear diapers. Only thing is, I doubt she'd ever ask me such a question. I always buy my own diapers. Look at the bright side, your mother knows you wear and seems fine with it!

took a couple reads, but I got it. That would be pretty awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    Not yours, mine.
    Sorry, I was not trying to criticize you, I was just trying to reassure Calico.
    No harm intended.
    Oh ok, got ya, no harm done.

Those of us who have been on the site for a while understand Calico's home history.

Yesterday when my wife and I went grocery shopping, as we walked down the baby isle (the opposite shelves have paper products) she casually asked me if I had enough baby powder. I was a bit surprised, but kind of thrilled. I calmly said, no, I had enough. Doesn't get better than that, or does it?