Thread: Anyone good at making web sites?

Default Anyone good at making web sites?

Well, I hate to admit it, but my web site creativity is poopy and I wanted to give a shout out there to see if anyone has any skill in designing a web site?

I gotta say that I am broke though. I am a bit of a charity case. It's going to be for my site for streaming AB related videos and other stuff. (Not dirty ones, clean stuff that really delves into the whys and whatnot of the scene.)

I can easily use a free template but it's hard to find one I really like. =(

My primary concern and reason for this web site is because I don't trust youtube... I have heard horror stories of people being banned for practically no reason.

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated!

PaddedPuppy

Default Re: Anyone good at making web sites?

Just make a second YouTube account and keep your videos backed up then if you get banned you lost nothing?

Sorry, I am not very good at coming up with ideas for creative stuff so not the right person to be doing your website.

As video files can get very large, do you have enough Web space to keep them online? This is where YouTube comes in useful as your video is stored externally plus it means you get more reliability for playback. If you were using only your website to store the video and it's not fast enough, videos will constantly buffer for visitors.

I would just suggest installing wordpress, finding a skin you like for it (if you can't decide pick a few and give adisc the choice), and use YouTube with a second account to upload videos, then embed into the Site.

Seems the easiest way to get the website up and working like you hope.

Sent from my LG-P350 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know what your technical background is, but I'd imagine that finding a host that:

- is cheap
    - provides enough bandwidth to allow streaming videos (this is one of the more bandwidth heavy things you can do, and generally bandwidth is the main cost driver in hosting plans)
    - won't have a problem with ABDL content (companies providing cheap, or worse, free hosting are notorious for closing accounts first, and not bothering to ask questions later (cheaper for them to just get rid of you than invest time to figure out if what you are hosting may be a problem for them)).

Is going to be a huge challenge. I'd get that squared away first if you haven't already before investing too much time designing the thing

you could try moonfruit. i have used them before and they have given me no problems. for me i also found it fairly simple to use. plus its free to use as long as you update regularly and dont use more than one hundred megabytes at once. meaning if you keep adding video and you take the older stuff off it could work very well i think.

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by tennismad View Post
    you could try moonfruit. i have used them before and they have given me no problems. for me i also found it fairly simple to use. plus its free to use as long as you update regularly and dont use more than one hundred megabytes at once. meaning if you keep adding video and you take the older stuff off it could work very well i think.
    Thats the same company as webeden by the looks of it. I used them a long time ago for a temporary website while busy making one for an anti-bullying organization from scratch. (With my lack of creativity it took 3 months and 2 other people giving their opinions to get it complete)

Anyway their web design tools appear to be good for getting the basics online, but like you said only 100MB and thats not enough if you are putting videos on, and they don't allow that many visitors to the webpage at the same time. I don't remember the details, but I think there was something in the terms and conditions saying the content had to be suitable for all to view. If you are uploading AB/DL related videos its going to be very close to the line of what is suitable and likely to get taken down.

Default Anyone good at making web sites?

If you are on a tight budget then you can't host your own video site. Bandwidth and storage are both expensive. Just find an existing streaming site (YouTube isn't the only one) and embed them in a wordpress. Always keep a backup of the vids.

You can also store them on Dropbox and link directly to them. While it's true that you get only 2GB at the start, it's also true you can make it grow. I have a 16GB free account, but get to that point took a lot of work.